2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championships moved to Las Vegas; no audience

clairecloutier

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts from USFS' press release (also published on USFS' website): https://www.usfigureskating.org/new...ure-skating-championships-relocated-las-vegas
The 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships, originally scheduled to take place in San Jose, California, Jan. 11–17, 2021, will relocate to Las Vegas and the Orleans Arena Jan. 11–21, U.S. Figure Skating announced on Monday. U.S. Figure Skating also selected San Jose and SAP Center as host of the 2023 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Both of these decisions were made unanimously by the U.S. Figure Skating Board of Directors at its Nov. 7 meeting.
"This has been a season unlike any other, and we're appreciative of our local organizers and the skating community in San Jose for their willingness to be flexible during these challenging times," U.S. Figure Skating President Anne Cammett said. "We are also confident that the proven bubble concept we will implement at the Orleans Arena will ensure the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships are a successful event for all competitors, coaches and officials."
... Championship-level competition will take place from Jan. 11–17, 2021, and junior-level competition from Jan. 19–21, 2021. As with Skate America, no spectators will be permitted, though fans will be able to watch extensive coverage on NBC, NBCSN and Peacock Premium.

Last edited:

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
This makes the most sense and they must have been pleased with the assistance they got from the arena and hotel. I'm sure it'll be weird without fans, but I agree this is likely their best chance at holding the event and I'm happy that the skaters will get a chance to compete.

YukiNieve

So San Jose will hold 2023 US Nationals. Do we already know who will hold 2022 Nationals?

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I saw this on Alexa IG page a moment ago.

And wasn’t it just announced a few days ago that nationals was going to be virtual only?

Well good for them that they think they can do a good job in Vegas. I think they’ll be able to as well!

Sylvia

TBD

Tinami Amori

As with Skate America, no spectators will be permitted, though fans will be able to watch extensive coverage on NBC, NBCSN and Peacock Premium.
I was not able to watch Skate America from these sources (on my computer) nor the ISU youtube channel. The ISU channel was blocked and it said "No available in your country" (i am in Calif.). I ended up watching through a russian site....

Debbie S

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
If the cardboard cutouts are available again, our local FSU friend group has already decided to buy Nina Mozer, Tonya Harding, Tonia Kwiatkowski, and Usoza smoking a cigarette for the front row.
That is the only way Tonya Harding is likely to ever see a US Nationals event again. :rofl:

In all seriousness... What would the USFSA do if someone tried to submit a photo of Tonya for one of those cardboard cutouts?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
That is the only way Tonya Harding is likely to ever see a US Nationals event again. :rofl:

In all seriousness... What would the USFSA do if someone tried to submit a photo of Tonya for one of those cardboard cutouts?

Or John Coughlin or Morgan Cipres or TJ Nyman. Or Richard Callaghan, for that matter.

Sylvia

TBD
From the Skate America virtual fan cutout program FAQ:

"Your photo will be reviewed within 24 hours of your email submission. If your photo is approved, you will not hear from us. However, if your photo has not been approved, we will notify you of this by email and ask for a resubmission."

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
If the cardboard cutouts are available again, our local FSU friend group has already decided to buy Nina Mozer, Tonya Harding, Tonia Kwiatkowski, and Usoza smoking a cigarette for the front row.

I’ll buy Dick & Peggy cut outs...to be propped up right on the front row! Dick in that mustard-colored ABC jacket. Peggy in one of her glam sweaters with bits of fur on the shoulders. Both holding mikes.

Carolla5501

I expect that some of you know that the truth is you would be "pretending" to support figure skating because there is no way they are going to allow the photos to be turned into "we want to embarrass USFS" So you can feel good about "buying a cutout" while knowing you will get your money back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information