2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championships moved to Las Vegas; no audience

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Neither *********, nor insurrection, nor coup attempt will keep us from having our precious skating competition.

Take that, sensible Canadians.
Damn straight. There's no reason to cancel it as long as the skaters are able to make training accommodations. From the sounds of it, in most parts of the country, rinks have been able to reach agreements with county and city officials to remain open for elite level training in a very limited capacity during this "third wave".

meggonzo

Banned Member
Oh dear...

I just asked this in US dance thread...but whats the rush to have Nats right now? This is the time period of surge upon surge upon surge.

Its not like there is a 4CC we need to put together a roster for.

And if there even will be a worlds that is still months away.

They should postpone Nats until no earlier than March and let this peak of peaks plateau a bit. And if theres no rink available in March (Im sure there will be) then have them virtually.
TV contract maybe?

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Do you also know it is absolutely not possible for any elite athlete to maintain this form indefinitely? You cannot just all of a sudden postpone an event like the national championships

Honey. Desperate. Times. Call. For. Desperate. Measures.

I didnt read any more past this point in your post as it seems like a rant, and ANL hasnt drank anything today.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The choo-choo has left the station. Nationals is ON and it begins in a few hours with the first practice session. Skaters already in Vegas. Woohoo!!! 🎉 🥳 😃

LOLZ, bring it on then these Nats with 30% MIA. lol

Are Madi and Evan in?

And did I read that Alysa wont be there?

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
As of this preview article, there are 18 ladies (including Alysa), 17 men, 11 ice dance teams (including Chock/Bates) and 9 pairs competing this week:

NBC/NBCSN broadcast schedule:

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

TV contract maybe?

child please. Nationals pretty much airs on the Olympic Channel (with its major content being the 1976 Olympics and ice hockey from 1996) and the youtubes via illegal uploads.

Here in Hollywood NOT MUCH is in production so it doenst take much "contract negotiation" to add figure skating to NBC in March instead of the weakest link for the 136th rerun.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode

I've listed the current Practice Cam streaming schedule for Peacock Premium subscribers here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...rting-in-fall-2020.107653/page-6#post-5930095
Thanks, Sylvia.

So the answer is no, no official stream for anyone outside the US. I know the USFS have never been renowned for organising this particularly well, but they are extra nuts this year - there's no other skating on! They have a captive audience! What are they thinking?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Nationals begins today (Srs) with practices for all disciplines except Men. Unfortunately, without the practice cam...so I’d truly appreciate any “notes” from the fortunate few allowed into today’s sessions...maybe Jackie WONG??? I personally would LOVE to read about today’s two Ladies practices (esp my Amber Glenn in Group A...Hint hint)!!!

Today’s practice sessions, EST times (see colored matrix for Vegas times):

3pm-5pm: Pairs (order practice groups A, B, C)
5:30pm-7:30pm: Ladies (A, B, C)
8pm-10pm: Dance (A, B, C)
10:30pm - 12:45 am: Ladies (B, C, A)

The Practice Cam kicks off on Wednesday, 12noon EST, with Pairs (group order B, C, A).

We’ll have to wait until Thursday, 3:28pm EST, for our first look at the Men (“Oh, Sinnerman” Jason, leading Group B!!! The wait is KILLING me...).

Colored matrix link:

Last edited:

Carolla5501

Honey. Desperate. Times. Call. For. Desperate. Measures.

I didnt read any more past this point in your post as it seems like a rant, and ANL hasnt drank anything today.
So here’s a question for you, this is been scheduled for the date for months. But until a particular dance team gets left out because of Covid you didn’t have any problems and now it’s horrible?

I don’t think your motivations are quite as altruistic as you’d like us to believe. I think if they were that altruistic you might have raised some concerns before the skaters were getting on planes to go to the event. Too little too late and very strangely motivated. Give it up

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Thanks, Sylvia.

So the answer is no, no official stream for anyone outside the US. I know the USFS have never been renowned for organising this particularly well, but they are extra nuts this year - there's no other skating on! They have a captive audience! What are they thinking?
Ashley Wagner said on her Instagram stories that she's doing commentary for Nationals on the "world feed." I was wondering if there's an international stream somewhere or is she talking about Peacock?

Sylvia

TBD
Nationals begins today (Srs) with practices for all disciplines except Men. Unfortunately, without the practice cam...so I’d truly appreciate any “notes” from the fortunate few allowed into today’s sessions...maybe Jackie Chan???
Jackie Wong is not attending Nationals in person: https://twitter.com/rockerskating/status/1348690648191410177
Does anyone have the link to the USFS Results page for US Nationals?
Not yet (eta: @maureenfarone has found the link & posted it below). I assume the SP/RD draws will be on Wednesday? (will check on this)
Ashley Wagner said on her Instagram stories that she's doing commentary for Nationals on the "world feed." I was wondering if there's an international stream somewhere or is she talking about Peacock?
I know Japan has broadcast rights: https://www.jsports.co.jp/skate/usFigureSkating/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpts:
In addition to Gannon, Lipinski and Weir in the booth [in Las Vegas, socially distanced], Andrea Joyce will be the reporter backstage, while Tanith White will call the ice dance competitions from her home.
The event will be produced remotely, with Pritting [a producer at NBC] and the rest of the production team working out of Stamford, Connecticut.
"Several years ago, some very, very brilliant minds at NBC came up with this plan to be able to take all of the cameras back to Stamford, Connecticut, so we are able to produce the event just like we would be able to in Las Vegas," Pritting said. "We were very prepared for this, not knowingly. But I've done several events like this for the last at least five years, with talent on site, production in Stamford, Connecticut, well before the pandemic. So it's something that we're comfortable with. Obviously all the COVID protocols and making sure everybody follows those and is tested and is safe is a new addition to that, but we're very fortunate to have such smart people on our team that we'd already done something similar to this in the past, and now we can just apply it under the current conditions."
In previous years, Gannon would spend his pre- and post-event time grabbing meals or drinks with the figure skating family he's formed since calling his first U.S. Championships in 1996. This year, everyone within the bubble will spend any free time in their hotel rooms and all production meetings will be held virtually, limiting face-to-face contact as much as possible.
"That I will miss. There's no question," Gannon said. "But this year, it's a year of adapting, obviously, and figuring out how to do things. And so by now, I think, in terms of the production, we have an idea of what we're doing and we've adapted at this point. It's live TV. Anything can happen any time. But in terms of the way we're doing it, there's a plan in place, a really good plan, and it's worked before."

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
im thinking this will be a great time for good pbp for those of us outside of the USA who won't get any feed? Much appreciated in the kiss n cry.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Jackie Chan could do some martial arts to sneak into the building, but I am not sure he would do practice reports for us once inside. He would need to bring Jackie Wong for that part.
Sorrrry!!!! 😝 Corrected! Hey, I’m hoping for spies at the Orleans Arena today. :sekret::sekret::sekret: Both Amber and Alysa are in practice group A (fitting, given their names). We need reports when GP A-Ladies hit the ice around 5:30pm EST...then again around midnight EST tonight!

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I don't think they're that bad, Johnny & Tara. They can be a little "high school" at times, but overall I like them. There are definitely worse ones out there (cough Rod Black cough).

Carolla5501

I like Johnny and Tara. I have to say, though, it is a different experience when the experts are people you remember as young teens.
Well I was older than a young teen, but I can think of a number of people from that era he would make much better expert than the side show act.

I’m hopeful that peacock will have Ashley commentating. I don’t love her but she’s 150% better than the “look at us” duo

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information