2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

dramagrrl

Nam did an Instagram livestream earlier today and was being extremely vague when anyone asked questions about why this was his last season. He said he was not ready to talk about why he was making that decision or what he planned to do "after retirement", and that until "the right time" came, all he would say is that yes, this is going to be his last season.

livetoskate

Nam did an Instagram livestream earlier today and was being extremely vague when anyone asked questions about why this was his last season. He said he was not ready to talk about why he was making that decision or what he planned to do "after retirement", and that until "the right time" came, all he would say is that yes, this is going to be his last season.
I'm also surprised he's only 23 because he seems to have been competing as a senior forever. He's very tall as a skater so that's a lot of stress on his body, & he doesn't seem to be getting better. I vaguely recall that he has to work at the rink to pay for skating, so the financial issues are likely a factor. It is understandable that he'd want to move onto something else after this season.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I cannot imagine that Skate Canada will not split the men for the Team Event, no matter who goes. So I am betting that whoever is the stronger SP skater will do that and the best free skater will do the LP.
Is there still any issue with Keegan not being vaxxed? Did he change his mind and just do it? Keegan won't be on the Team if China doesn't let him in. Is that resolved now?

Sylvia

TBD
I don't believe this Keegan article based on his pre-Skate Canada GP media call last week was posted here?
He added a quadruple Lutz to his jump repertoire in the past couple of seasons, but said it remains a work in progress.
"Quad Lutz is a very difficult jump, and the older I get, the more I’m struggling with everyday aches and pains. Something that I didn't realize when I started working on the quad Lutz was just how brutal that jump is on the body," he said.
Messing said he's working more on overall strength so his body can withstand the demands of the big jumps.
"It's a heavy jump. I love it. And at times, it can be one of my best elements," he said.
ETA this quote from Keegan from another preview article:
“Maybe this is my last season or maybe I have one more in me. She [wife Lane] understands the sacrifice it takes to stay in the sport, as hard as it is.”

Last edited:

greenapple

Is there still any issue with Keegan not being vaxxed? Did he change his mind and just do it? Keegan won't be on the Team if China doesn't let him in. Is that resolved now?
The Canadian Olympic Committee issued a press release a couple of weeks ago - anyone who is not fully vaccinated will not be on Team Canada and will not go to the Games.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Keegan is vaccinated. During an instagram live during HPC both he and Nam stated they were both vaccinated and Nam alluded to the online drama from months earlier where many lost their shit when Nam asked Keegan if he was getting vaccinated and at the time he said he wasn't sure.

Anyway, they are both vaccinated.

honey

Your username is fitting. It's early and skaters build to the Olympics. Good grief!
The panic button should be pressed right about now. Yes, it’s early, but thus far both Keegan and Roman have not shown much improvement between from their first outing to their second. We’ve only seen Nam once and he was clearly not in form from the time off over the season. The clock is ticking and it will be January before we know it. If that doesn’t induce panic based on what we’ve seen so far, I don’t know what will.

For Keegan, I really think this is a training issue. He just isn’t where he should be for stamina in the long. I think if he buckles down and gets the training in, he will be able to produce a better free skate next time. Three weeks isn’t a ton of time, but enough to get some numbers in. And hopefully there are no residual effects from that fall in the long here.

Roman has not helped his case in any way yet this season. Losing to Orzel here especially doesn’t inspire confidence. And this is nothing against Orzel who did very well for himself. But if we’re looking at any kind of body of work argument, Roman really isn’t going to have much to stand on should it be a close decision at nationals.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I always get a laugh out of 'they build to the Olympics' when it's after really bad skates. They aren't trying to go out there and melt down early in the season, either. ;) Keegan I'll give a pass to for the moment because I think the loop fall really did disorient him, and I think he deserves one of the two spots anyways. But Roman.. how many outs does he get? He's my favorite of the bunch by a mile but he's given SC zero reason to consider him a favorite for one the two spots. Almost the entire mens event at Skate Canada was really poor, and he still managed to finished last. He also finished poorly at Nebelhorn and although the second spot was earned, the skaters right behind him would likely be the ones fighting to make it to the free skate in Beijing. I don't know the full details of what is going on with Nam but I don't like either of his programs this year and I think they suck all the spark and fun out of him, anyways. Orzel has zero connection to the music but he may very well jump his way into contention at Nationals.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I kind of think the 2nd men's spot will wind up going to someone like Wesley Chiu or Corey Circelli. Chiu seems like the most likely candidate at this time, especially since he did make it to the JGPF.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I admit I'm rather disappointed in the Canadian mens right now. Keegan is the package, Nam & Romsky have the talent but not the drive. I really want Stephen G to compete more and stand up for Canada. Conrad doesn't have the right package to bring home a medal.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I have high hopes for Chiu and can’t wait to see how he does at his senior international. He could be right up there at nationals considering his JGP score has one fewer element in the free and no quad allowed in the short (assuming he goes for a quad in the short in his senior program).

And who knows how Gogolev will look when we finally see him again!

Last edited:

coppertop1

I think at this point, Keegan is the favorites for onevof the spots. Some people were upset that Roman wasn't chosen to go to Worlds, but Keegan was the right choice. The second spot is wide open.

Marco

Roman makes me sad. The bottom line is at least he earned that second spot. But his performances at both Nebelhorn and SC are not helpful to his cause. It's almost that point when a good skate at Nationals might not be enough.

Then again let's see how Nam skates. Stephen Gogolev hasn't competed in ages so unless he comes out with a bang I will be surprised if he gets considered. Wesley Chiu is an interesting idea for the 2nd spot esp if het gets consistent on the 3axel and 4toe and Roman / Nam don't. Good to have something to push them.

barbarafan

I'm told that there have been some withdrawals in the senior men's ranks at Ontario Sectionals, including Stephen Gogolev. Nam is registered to do his SP, apparently.
Oh no..........I was so anxious to see an update. Did he get reinjured?

coppertop1

Roman makes me sad. The bottom line is at least he earned that second spot. But his performances at both Nebelhorn and SC are not helpful to his cause. It's almost that point when a good skate at Nationals might not be enough.

Then again let's see how Nam skates. Stephen Gogolev hasn't competed in ages so unless he comes out with a bang I will be surprised if he gets considered. Wesley Chiu is an interesting idea for the 2nd spot esp if het gets consistent on the 3axel and 4toe and Roman / Nam don't. Good to have something to push them.
Just because a skater secures a berth for their country doesn't mean they've earned it. They still have to deliver when it counts.

Jammers

The bet thing for Canada might be if one of the younger guys like Chu, Gogolev or even Phan skate lights out at Nationals and finish 2nd Roman has had many chances and can't get it together and Nam is done after this season anyways. It's time to look to the future.

coppertop1

The bet thing for Canada might be if one of the younger guys like Chu, Gogolev or even Phan skate lights out at Nationals and finish 2nd Roman has had many chances and can't get it together and Nam is done after this season anyways. It's time to look to the future.
Has Nam officially said this? He has been around for a while. So has Sadovsky.

Marco

Just because a skater secures a berth for their country doesn't mean they've earned it. They still have to deliver when it counts.
Earned it for Canada. I didn't say he earned it for himself, hence the rest of my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information