2020 US Adult Sectionals and Nationals

sk8pics

Things may be different in a month, so I would not cancel just yet. I got my email today notifying me I was accepted as a volunteer.

Sarah

I agree with @sk8pics that things may be different in a month, but if you want to follow updates on UD's campus (all DE cases have been at UD thus far), I'm providing the page. That said, their twitter feed seems to have the updates first, but that's a rant for somewhere else... All cases so far are connected.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
The rink at U Delaware has been closed. We'll see if all this clears up on time to hold Nationals, but so far, IMO, it's not looking good.

sk8pics

I’m sorry they didn’t wait a couple of weeks to see if the rinks would reopen. Especially bummed for the adult skater doing pairs with our coach.

Theoreticalgirl

your faves are problematic
As someone with family in Italy, I have a different perspective. Hearing the first-hand accounts of what is happening there is really hard.

Though I had a positive outing at Sectionals, I can't say that I was completely comfortable with the event being staged (and that is my home rink). Throughout this past week, every time I cough, a small part of me worried that I was unknowingly exposed given how many people I was in close proximity to.

I am bummed that USFS did not proactively cancel the event and waited until UD closed the facility. For me—and y'all may feel differently, which you are welcome to do so—it sends the message that our collective safety doesn't matter.

Last edited:

GarrAargHrumph

I was hesitant about attending Nationals - but in reality, I figured they'd end up cancelling, so the choice would be out of my hands. I even took this week off of skating, which I probably wouldn't have done if I'd really felt that Nationals would happen.

Sarah

UD has basically cancelled all on campus events this semester. Dorms are closed for the semester as of Tuesday and, while not important, my April workshop was cancelled as well because campus space does not allow official events at this point (an internal decision had already been made to cancel my event). So there you go. I assume at some point the arenas will reopen...

GarrAargHrumph

Those who went to Adult Eastern Sectionals got an email today from US Figure Skating saying that Paul Frishkorn, who was the announcer at Easterns, died of coronavirus. So far, two other attendees of the event have tested positive as well. We're beyond the 14 day quarantine period, but they've asked attendees to be aware and cautious.

Dear Eastern Adult Sectional Athletes and Coaches,

Like many of you, U.S. Figure Skating learned today of the loss of Paul Frishkorn, 65, a longtime member who died Monday of the coronavirus (COVID-19). We mourn his loss and offer condolences to his family and many friends.

Paul was a former national music coordinator and announcer for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, assisted with the post-event exhibition and a was a member of the Adult Skating community. He also was an American Airlines flight attendant based out of Philadelphia.

Paul was a volunteer announcer at the Eastern Adult Sectionals March 6-8 in Ardmore, Pennsylvania, at the Philadelphia Figure Skating Club and Human Society. It has been reported that at least two other attendees of that event have also tested positive for the virus.

U.S. Figure Skating asks anyone who attended this event to be vigilant in monitoring any symptoms related to COVID-19 and follow these CDC recommendations...

livetoskate

Just wondering, will competitors get a refund since adult nationals got canceled? I haven't heard anything, although i withdrew before it was canceled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information