2020 Grand Prix series thread

natsulian

I don’t know how the American and French dancers can return to Canada after their competition. How does that work?
They're probably hoping on the virus dying down by that time. However, researchers are forecasting a THIRD wave hitting the United States, so the prospects of those from the US being able to return to Canada is slim.

Colonel Green

I don’t know how the American and French dancers can return to Canada after their competition. How does that work?
There are different rules for Americans than for other countries; Jason and Kaitlin & Jean-Luc already got back in once, to cite examples.

For the European teams, I’m less sure, but they wouldn’t have arranged to go if they weren’t going to be able to come back, one imagines.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Clearly the dance assignments are what held this up due to the large # of teams training at Gadbois, and the rumors we heard that the dancers were being asked to compete at home, if possible, also accurate. I'm sure that Skate Canada and those federations have received assurances that their teams will be able to travel with little hindrance.

angi

Clearly the dance assignments are what held this up due to the large # of teams training at Gadbois, and the rumors we heard that the dancers were being asked to compete at home, if possible, also accurate. I'm sure that Skate Canada and those federations have received assurances that their teams will be able to travel with little hindrance.
Still, I can't think of a situation where Canada will allow the returning skaters and the coaches that accompanied them to avoid the mandatory 14 days quarantine which is a significant hit to both the skaters who won't be able to train for at least two weeks and the coaches who will then keep Gadbois without 2-4 members of their staff for at least two weeks. There has to have been a better solution than this one.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Still, I can't think of a situation where Canada will allow the returning skaters and the coaches that accompanied them to avoid the mandatory 14 days quarantine which is a significant hit to both the skaters who won't be able to train for at least two weeks and the coaches who will then keep Gadbois without 2-4 members of their staff for at least two weeks. There has to have been a better solution than this one.
Who knows? The Gadbois skaters seem split between SCI, SA and IdF so my guess is there are some sort of arrangements that have been reached. There are the rapid, daily tests developed by Quidel which are being used by the Big 10 and Pac 12 to get football back this fall and to get the winter sports rolling in late November. My guess is the ISU or the federations have worked something out with Canadian and provincial health officials to allow for travel. How were the Blue Jays able to travel between the US and Canada for the shortened MLB season?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I still think it's ridiculous that these are being called Grand Prixs, when clearly they're more like mini-Nationals or Nationals preview events. But, I guess it is done for sponsorship/financial reasons.

I said the same on the GP Final-cancellation thread. SkAm and the rest are, this year, glorified Nebelhorns-2020. We can still enjoy seeing them but let’s not fool ourselves.

Debbie S

How were the Blue Jays able to travel between the US and Canada for the shortened MLB season?
They didn't. The Blue Jays played their home games in Buffalo, NY.

I would assume the skate feds, ISU, USOC, etc have worked to ensure the teams will be able to get back to Canada (well, I hope!) but as noted above, it's likely the 14-day quarantine will apply unless the Canadian gov't enacts a new policy between now and then.

Erin

Banned Member
How were the Blue Jays able to travel between the US and Canada for the shortened MLB season?

They didn't. They played "home" games in Buffalo. The Canadian government denied the request to play in Toronto.

So far, I haven't seen any willingness by Canada to eliminate the quarantine requirement even if someone is tested, but I guess who knows what is going on behind the scenes.

Colonel Green

I said the same on the GP Final-cancellation thread. SkAm and the rest are, this year, glorified Nebelhorns-2020. We can still enjoy seeing them but let’s not fool ourselves.
Many of these fields are at least as competitive as anything you’d find at a “normal” Grand Prix (or, in the case of the Rostelecom and NHK ladies, absurdly stacked).

kates8

Who knows? The Gadbois skaters seem split between SCI, SA and IdF so my guess is there are some sort of arrangements that have been reached. There are the rapid, daily tests developed by Quidel which are being used by the Big 10 and Pac 12 to get football back this fall and to get the winter sports rolling in late November. My guess is the ISU or the federations have worked something out with Canadian and provincial health officials to allow for travel. How were the Blue Jays able to travel between the US and Canada for the shortened MLB season?
The Jays actually played their "home" games at their Farm Team location in Buffalo - Canadian Gov't would not allow US teams to travel in and out of Toronto.

I wonder if those teams and the coach with them who travel out of Canada will just stay and train in their home countries until Nationals instead of coming back into Canada and having to quarantine for 14 days.

I guess teams even though named, could also opt to withdraw if they don't want to travel? Does anyone know if there is prize money this year or is it just basically mini-nationals previews?

Last edited:

Colonel Green

So far, I haven't seen any willingness by Canada to eliminate the quarantine requirement even if someone is tested, but I guess who knows what is going on behind the scenes.
There’s definitely not going to be a waiver of the quarantine period. It’s just a question of the European teams getting back in — but that has doubtless been arranged.

We previously saw Fear/Waddell fly to Germany for Nebelhorn, planning to quarantine on return — though that’s not directly comparable as both Sasha and George have Canadian citizenship.

Frau Muller

Many of these fields are at least as competitive as anything you’d find at a “normal” Grand Prix (or, in the case of the Rostelecom and NHK ladies, absurdly stacked).

But don’t call them “Grand Prix” because that implies a “prix” at the end of a series.

skateboy

I'm really okay with what ISU has come up with here.

Sure, it's not what we're used to, but this entire year is anything but what we're used to. We were looking at a possibility of nothing. Now we've at least got something... and some of these events should be really good. I'm excited!

More importantly, the skaters aren't forced to stagnate. Best wishes to them.

RoseRed

Min & Eaton are included at Skate America, according to the USFS website,

Concerning Cha at Skate Canada, I wonder if it is possible for him to enter Canada again. He's currently in South Korea.
I believe Brian said how possible it is to get back to Canada depends on the type of visa skaters have, so I guess they think whatever he has may work at least.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I still think it's ridiculous that these are being called Grand Prixs, when clearly they're more like mini-Nationals or Nationals preview events. But, I guess it is done for sponsorship/financial reasons.

That’s what I was thinking too yesterday Claire when I had all of three minutes to check out the links. I don’t think China should be hosting an event at all. There’s just barely any participants. And Japan doesn’t even have any dance entrants. And did I not see any Korean skaters anywhere?

I’m working so much I literally have no time for figure skating at the moment.

So Grand Prix China won’t qualify for points or any prize money either for the participants, correct? I need to sit down and read I just don’t have any time these days.

And will these be televised? I’m guessing not?. Just so depressing this year. LOL

Frau Muller

And will these be televised? I’m guessing not?. Just so depressing this year. LOL

Of course they will be televi$ed! Not that skating takes in the big bucks these days but still... it’s something. I don’t think that the ISU (and US, Canadian & Japanese federations) are holding these events just as a public service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information