2020-21 Canadian Pairs News & Updates

puglover

Recently I rewatched the pairs event from the last Olympics. I know there is no point in crying over spilt milk but I so enjoyed the long program by Charlie and Julianne. When they were on, they had something special. I hope this is not the end for her. Maybe too many injuries and other issues but I really do miss Julianne.

karmena

Recently I rewatched the pairs event from the last Olympics. I know there is no point in crying over spilt milk but I so enjoyed the long program by Charlie and Julianne. When they were on, they had something special. I hope this is not the end for her. Maybe too many injuries and other issues but I really do miss Julianne.

Yes, indeed Julianne and Charlie had something special, unrepeatable....oh, their SP at 2015- a masterpiece, a masterpiece of pure joy!
Lubov seems to be more or less an intellectual skater, she rather skates with her mind, reason and she likes to do 'tricks'( when asked in an interview before Canadina Nationals what she enjoys mostly in skating, Lubov's answered 'to do tricks', while Charlie- ' performing') IMO it might be hard to blend with Lubov.

dramagrrl

:( :wuzrobbed :fragile:

bytheriver

Yes, indeed Julianne and Charlie had something special, unrepeatable....oh, their SP at 2015- a masterpiece, a masterpiece of pure joy!
Lubov seems to be more or less an intellectual skater, she rather skates with her mind, reason and she likes to do 'tricks'( when asked in an interview before Canadina Nationals what she enjoys mostly in skating, Lubov's answered 'to do tricks', while Charlie- ' performing') IMO it might be hard to blend with Lubov.

I agree. Julianne and Charlie had great unison, and despite the small-ish twist and throws they were my favorite Canadian pair. I hope Julianne comes back, but I understand that she might have been burned by the experience. I also agree that I don't see Lubov and Charlie blending very well as a pair - I know they are a new team, but their strengths don't seem to gel. They have her flexibility and his strength in their favor, but the twist is still small and her jumps are still inconsistent.

It just still frustrates me that he dumped Julianne because he thought he had more potential, when IMO they were the Canadian pair with the most potential for this quad. And then partnering with Lubov who had fewer injuries but more inconsistency. But alas. Onwards and upwards!

ChiquitaBanana

I agree. Julianne and Charlie had great unison, and despite the small-ish twist and throws they were my favorite Canadian pair. I hope Julianne comes back, but I understand that she might have been burned by the experience. I also agree that I don't see Lubov and Charlie blending very well as a pair - I know they are a new team, but their strengths don't seem to gel. They have her flexibility and his strength in their favor, but the twist is still small and her jumps are still inconsistent.

It just still frustrates me that he dumped Julianne because he thought he had more potential, when IMO they were the Canadian pair with the most potential for this quad. And then partnering with Lubov who had fewer injuries but more inconsistency. But alas. Onwards and upwards!

As far as I know Séguinhasn’t resumed training and still have concussion symptoms. Maybe he didn’t end the relation as it should (read crap) they could have not continue.

bytheriver

As far as I know Séguinhasn’t resumed training and still have concussion symptoms. Maybe he didn’t end the relation as it should (read crap) they could have not continue.

I’m basing my comment on Julianne’s own recollection of the story. She still wanted to continue and claimed she was blindsided - I think it was posted here last year. So I don’t think it was “crap” when it’s the only first person story we have in this case.

jlmart

I recall reading that Julianne was still having issues with memory loss, headaches etc. a year after her last concussion. She should NOT have been skating. I don't know exactly what went on between the two of them and neither do you . I DO know that, as I said, medically speaking she had no business even thinking about resuming pairs skating. I know Charlie came across as the bad guy in this situation but truthfully - he would have been an idiot to have done any pairs moves with her. Perhaps the long time before he announced their split was spent trying to convince her to give up thoughts of resuming her skating career.

dramagrrl

Perhaps the long time before he announced their split was spent trying to convince her to give up thoughts of resuming her skating career.
Considering they had their competitive programs choreographed (and had therefore paid for said choreography), had two Grand Prix assignments scheduled, and were apparently starting to be fitted for their new costumes, it doesn't really sound like that was the case.

puglover

My point is not whether they should have continued together, whether her injuries meant she shouldn't skate, and how Charlie handled the break. This is way too demanding a sport in all respects to continue if either skater is just not feeling it and I respect his decision.

I saw Julianne/Charlie live several times, the last one in Vancouver right before the games, and I loved them. I find most pairs rather generic to me now with a few tricks here and there. For me KMT/MM have come together nicely and I find her mesmerizing and I enjoy EW/TM -- but JS/CB had something special - even compared to the top world pair teams. IMO.

Last edited:

ChiquitaBanana

I’m basing my comment on Julianne’s own recollection of the story. She still wanted to continue and claimed she was blindsided - I think it was posted here last year. So I don’t think it was “crap” when it’s the only first person story we have in this case.

I am stating facts :
It was not the most classy parting.
It was hard on Julianne.
She still has concussion symptoms.
Charlie had to find a new partner as he wanted to keep skating.

Not an objective fact : I really liked that pairing and overmost their Grand Hotel Budapest program.

shutterbug

The pair teams at Skate Oakville were treated to a 3twist Zoom training session with Bruno Massot: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ckUi1JD7r/. I note Veronik Mallet took part in the session. Hmm.

but JS/CB had something special - even compared to the top world pair teams. IMO.
For me, it was their amazing connection on the ice that set them apart. They actually looked at each other while they were skating. It's so rare to see a team that is as much of a "unit" as these two were, even compared to teams in off ice relationships. There was also a freshness and joy to their skating that was wonderful to watch. It's so sad the partnership had to end, but pairs is a tough discipline both physically and emotionally, and splits are inevitable.

ETA: Also as per the Skate Oakville pairs Instagram, Chloe Chouinard and Livio Mayr have teamed up: https://www.instagram.com/p/B-fCtsdpc0I/

Last edited:

dramagrrl

I've never heard of Chloe's new partner. Details from anyone who knows more about him?

aftershocks

Banned Member
Considering they had their competitive programs choreographed (and had therefore paid for said choreography), had two Grand Prix assignments scheduled, and were apparently starting to be fitted for their new costumes, it doesn't really sound like that was the case.

However, if Charlie was having trouble convincing Julianne, then it makes sense they were forging ahead with getting programs. That doesn't negate that Charlie wasn't feeling it, and he knew Julianne was not 100% and that they were up-and-down with their training and preparation as a result. This, thus ongoing uncertainty regarding their future progress.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I find her [Kirsten] mesmerizing and I enjoy KW/TM -- but JS/CB had something special - even compared to the top world pair teams. IMO.

ITA that Charlie & Julianne had a very special quality together that's hard to define. At their best, they were magical. Still, I'm not giving up on Luba & Charlie, if they don't give up on themselves in trying to build something together. :)

Initials can be problematic. I racked my brain, and then I realized you apparently mean Evelyn Walsh/Trennt Micheau, i.e., EW/TM

aftershocks

Banned Member
Michael Marinaro's grandmother has died as a result of the current pand**** :cry:

You apparently won't have to replace the WORD before the number in the link - it seems to work.

Such sad news. I'm sorry to hear this. My condolences to Michael and his family. What a difficult time this must be. I hope Michael's spirits are uplifted remembering fond times with his grandmother and how much she meant to him. That's a lovely photo of them together in a happy moment.

karmena

My point is not whether they should have continued together, whether her injuries meant she shouldn't skate, and how Charlie handled the break. This is way too demanding a sport in all respects to continue if either skater is just not feeling it and I respect his decision.

I saw Julianne/Charlie live several times, the last one in Vancouver right before the games, and I loved them. I find most pairs rather generic to me now with a few tricks here and there. For me KMT/MM have come together nicely and I find her mesmerizing and I enjoy EW/TM -- but JS/CB had something special - even compared to the top world pair teams. IMO.
Not only you, very many loved them (I dare to say, that particularly in Europe); this pair had that quality which is... beyond words to describe, because it comes from the very soul and gives a pure joy to watch. Not everyone can do this. Julianne had that gift to bring it out of the pair.

Last edited:

karmena

For me KMT/MM have come together nicely and I find her mesmerizing and I enjoy EW/TM -- but JS/CB had something special - even compared to the top world pair teams. IMO.

I dare to believe, that Walsh/Trennt, when they eventually figure out their skating identity, will surprise themselves and all pair figure skating fans. Though they have a long way to go.

Agree, Kirsten is mesmerizing indeed, she is a star, no doubt. But every star needs her sky.

cdn skate fan

Bruno found him I think in Europe when he was travelling doing seminars. Convinced him to come to Canada to train and they would figure out a partner for him.

Yes, last I heard they will skate for Austria.

Apparently he's huge. Like 6'3" or something.

He has been skating in Canada with Bruno for a few years already. Last year he skated with Olivia Boys Eddy and the year before that with Sarah Jane (?) in junior.

Xsktrx

Should be interesting to see how they work out. Fingers crossed we get to see some of these new pairings sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information