2019 Skate Canada Challenge

danafan

Canadian ladies über
This is the qualifying competition for the 2019 Canadian Championships in novice, junior, and senior (pre novices don't compete at nationals, so the winners of the challenge are declared national champions).

Event is November 28 to December 2.

Link: https://skatecanada.ca/2019-skate-canada-challenge/

Schedule as of November 20: https://skatecanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-Challenge-Block-Schedule-FINAL-.pdf

The start lists are posted, but I can't seem to link to it directly.

There will be live streaming on Daily Motion.

Qualifying structure: https://skatecanada.ca/athletes/qualifying-structure1/

18 singles, 15 dance, and 12 pairs qualify for nationals. For senior, there aren't enough entries in dance or pairs to eliminate anyone, so I think everyone qualifies.

In singles for senior men, Messing, Nguyen, Reynolds, Sadovsky, and Nadeau have byes via top 3 at last years nationals and/or having a senior grand prix. Gogolev has a bye for making junior grand prix final. So the top 12 from challenge (not including Nguyen and Reynolds who are entered) will qualify for nationals.

For senior women, Daleman, Austman, Chartrand, Pineault, and Mallet have byes via top 3 last year and/or senior grand prix assignment (I assume/hope Mallet gets to keep her bye as she recovers from injury). That means top 13 from challenge (not including Austman and Pineault who are entered) will qualify for nationals.

Start orders for nationals are based on results from qualifying (at least for seniors). Skaters with byes skate in reverse order of placement last year, so I think the last group of men for the short at nationals will be Gogolev, Nadeau, Sadovsky, Reynolds, Nguyen, and Messing (from memory - please correct if I'm wrong).

For women, the last five to skate would be Mallet (she has no nationals placement), Pineault, Chartrand, Austman, and Daleman - and the winner of the challenge will skate first in the final flight of the short (or should I say highest finisher apart from Austman and Pineault). So to me that adds to the intrigue of this event - especially with Daleman and Mallet's status questionable.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks, @danafan - I can't seem to see the starting orders at all?

Just a reminder to all that the schedule is in Edmonton time, which is 2 hours behind Eastern time (Mountain time).

Sedge

Thanks, @danafan - I can't seem to see the starting orders at all?

Just a reminder to all that the schedule is in Edmonton time, which is 2 hours behind Eastern time (Mountain time).

I can't find them either. They aren't on my 2019 Skate Canada Challenge page.
Has one of the regions released them?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Weird - I opened the PDFs of the senior start lists on my work computer an hour or so ago, and on my home computer the start lists aren't there. The links were just embedded in the page. Hopefully they will reappear soon. I mean I was waiting to start this thread until the start orders were up.

Sedge

Thanks for the links Danafan.
I think here is something wrong with the start order of the Singles....Kevin Reynolds is in the first group and Alicia Pineault is not in the final flight...she is in the 3rd from last flight
Hmmmm
I wonder if it is an entry list despite being labelled Start order

Sedge

Thanks for the links Danafan.
I think here is something wrong with the start order of the Singles....Kevin Reynolds is in the first group and Alicia Pineault is not in the final flight...she is in the 3rd from last flight
Hmmmm
I wonder if it is an entry list despite being labelled Start order

My mistake...I was jumping ahead to the Start order rules for 2019 Canadians...Apologies

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Competition begins tomorrow. Kevin Reynolds is listed as WD in senior men, as are Brasseur & Bardei in senior pairs.

puglover

I wish there was more on Saturday. I was going to drive up to Edmonton but the Senior men are finished - I think there is only Senior Dance RD and Senior Ladies Short. Not too sure I can convince my husband to make the trip. I like to watch the up-and-comers but him - not so much.

kalamalka

That's great content for pre-novice. Novice men were not very inspiring, but the top two (only scores over 40) were very good. Wesley Chiu of BC (coached by Keegan Murphy) leads at 47.68 (3t3t, 3z with major error - forgot exactly what -2ft and step out?, 2a, both level 4 spins,L2 footwork); then Matthew Newnham of AB, coached by Ravi at 45.18 with 3l2t, 3s, 2a, all L4 and no negative GOE.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Is anyone watching senior men? I was out and just tuned in. Seems Phan did not go for a quad and did a single axel, yikes (I love Skate Canada's live scoring). Seems Turcotte had a rough skate.

Catherine M

I'm watching sr men with one eye--watching football with the other. No one has really stood out for me--so far.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Fall from Toman to start, but I liked the program. Broke 70 for 2nd place.

mackiecat

Well Nam went for two quads - a first for him I think? Orzel still leads.
He tried it at worlds last year. Seems to be a mind thing for him. He has been doing fairly good shorts all year and longs with multiple quads but he hasn’t put together the two quads in the short.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I think once Nam puts things together he will be back at the top world wise.. nationals might be that competition? He’s one of four men who could be the new national champ

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Talking about Hannah Dawson in GSD reminded me to go see how she did. Happy to see her leading after the short! Keep it up, girl!

Dobre

Junior Dance

Bronsard & Bouaraguia-I came in during the twizzles. Bit out of sync on the second set, which has three. Rest looked fine. Solid skate. 57.50

Fisher & Malette-Paquette-Much more polished & more tango feel in general, but out of sync on the first set, then he's off balance on the second. And then oy! he has fall. I don't know if it was on an element, but it disrupted the program because she had to come back to get to him. 55.82

Last edited:

Dobre

Makita & Gunara-Nice solid skate. Tango feel & good speed on the rotating lift. 57.00

McIsaac & Circelli-Another solid skate. Still working on developing the unison together. I thought the second half felt stronger than the first. 57.93

Catherine M

Me watching novice pairs freeskates every time a girl is lifted into the air: :yikes:

bless them all for giving it their all in a very difficult sport

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Yikes Brandon Lee Graham had 18 points in deductions and his total score is below the top two guys after the short, so doesn't even show up in the lead after his skate on the results. I'm glad the announcer didn't announce his ranking. Poor guy :(

Dobre

Fabbri & Ayer-That was a notch up, both for them and for this competition. 62.53

Stairs & Graham-Attack is good. Positions & polish could all be better. Went after it though. 62.10

Catherine M

Shallen Bear so needs a better partner---did a nice double axel, which is rare in novice pair girls.

mackiecat

Shallen Bear so needs a better partner---did a nice double axel, which is rare in novice pair girls.
I heard he was a hockey player who recently switched to Figure Skating. If this is the case, wow! Give them a year to boil

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information