2019 Eurovision Grand Final - Justify My Douze

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Why do the jury vote on a separate performance? This just makes it harder for the audience to understand IMO, if we aren’t voting on the same thing we don’t see if there were issues. In the old days before public voting didn't the jury vote on the night?

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Why do the jury vote on a separate performance?

It would take too long to collate the jury votes if they voted on the Saturday show. This is traditionally always how the juries have voted even when we didn't have televoting back in the day.

nickp

I think the BBC needs to get excited about Eurovision again Michael is a FANTASTIC singer, the song and staging let him down

MsZem

I see the sea
So the juries are basically the electoral college of Eurovision? ;)

Knowing Norway won the public vote it makes it all the more unfortunate that they wanted to redo their song for the jury vote because of technical faults. Awkward.
They won it by a fair margin, too.

I don't know if the technical issues were on their side or because of the local production. If it's the latter then it's especially unfortunate that this is what the juries were given to judge.

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
So the juries are basically the electoral college of Eurovision? ;)

They won it by a fair margin, too.

I don't know if the technical issues were on their side or because of the local production. If it's the latter then it's especially unfortunate that this is what the juries were given to judge.
I understand we don't really know what the juries saw, but based on the results I'd assume the Czech boys had one heck of a performance and, seemingly, a different song.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I understand we don't really know what the juries saw, but based on the results I'd assume the Czech boys had one heck of a performance and, seemingly, a different song.
I feel mean for laughing so much at this, I didn’t mind the song personally but am still :lol:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
The jury business is silly, they all just voted for their closest or countries they had close relations too with for the most part. Like ice dance, they should just go with public . I think it’s odd they vote on a different song? It should all be the same performance

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
The jury business is silly, they all just voted for their closest or countries they had close relations too with for the most part.

Have you analysed the jury results in detail or are you just repeating what the British media say about Eurovision when the UK does badly? ;)

I enjoyed Norway as much as the next person, but in terms of musical composition I am glad the juries were there to give us the Netherlands win.

Last edited:

4rkidz

Have you analysed the jury results in details or are you just repeating what the British media say about Eurovision when the UK does badly? ;)

I enjoyed Norway as much as the next person, but in terms of musical composition I am glad the juries were there to give us the Netherlands win.

No I’m just watching now the judging part of the show I taped last night, it’s 8 am I’m in bed lol. I watched the full show last night before results an I liked Norway the best maybe because they were not boring like Netherlands, IMHO. I also liked Russia, Albania and Denmark, UK was not good

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
No I’m just watching now the judging part of the show I taped last night, it’s 8 am I’m in bed lol. I watched the full show last night before results an I liked Norway the best maybe because they were not boring like Netherlands, IMHO. I also liked Russia, Albania and Denmark, UK was not good

The Netherlands finished second in the televote so while you may have found them boring lots of people didn't. The standout from this year's voting overall was that opinions were very divided on which was the best song.

4rkidz

The Netherlands finished second in the televote so while you may have found them boring lots of people didn't. The standout from this year's voting overall was that opinions were very divided on which was the best song.
I guess I wasn’t really looking at it from best song, but best performance? But as this is a message board where we give our opinions, I shared mine :rolleyes:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I guess I wasn’t really looking at it from best song, but best performance? But as this is a message board where we give our opinions, I shared mine :rolleyes:

And I am sharing my different opinion to yours back. See how that works? ;)

The Netherlands received jury 12 points from France, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal and Sweden - none of which have borders with the Netherlands the last time I checked a map.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Can I also just repeat that the televoters had San Marino in 10th? A man who cannot sing by any objective criteria scored more points from people across Europe (and Australia) than 16 other acts. :lol:

The televoters are a lot more "neighbourly" than the juries and it is largely down to shared tastes in music and/or the artists being popular in those other countries as well. :)

RoseRed

Not that I agreed with all the jury votes, but I like having the points come from two different sources with different perspectives. The Netherlands was very popular with the public, and with the jury - which makes me feel like it really deserved the win.

And I certainly didn't find Duncan boring - it was beautiful. Actually, that was my favourite of the final, so I was happy it won. But the Norway song was very good too, so I'm glad it jumped up the board after the public votes.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I just found the final a bit lackluster this year for some reason apart from couple of stand out acts. I thought the four hosts were mostly looking awkward trying to make jokes which consistently fell flat. I enjoyed the presentation clips the most with all the dancing, that was truly well done and made me want to jump in a plane and go visit all those places. Madonna surely didn't help, the build-up around her coming was unnecessary and her performance was so bad it killed the whole atmosphere. As for the result, not my fav by any measure but much better than North Macedonia. To bad for Italy, they had the best act they've had in years and it came close. Even though I didn't particularly like the Swedish entry, I came to wish they had won because, to date, 2016 Stockholm has been the best final I've watched in recent years.

FarFarAway

Four the Dark Side
:rofl: you don’t need to know sign language.

I was going to buy Norway’s song as a sign of support but it’s album-only on ITunes and I sure don’t want the others!
I bought it. Added it to my playlist, the whole album, then removed the songs I feel indifferent about and enjoy the select few, Norway included. A sacrifice, yes, which could have been avoided, but I believe Norway was robbed, so I felt like doing it was necessary.

On a side note, mr FFA woke up in the morning to suddenly share my love for Norway, which is a progress. No comments about Azerbaijan, which is quite astounding. Trying to understand why the Netherlands won and wondering how Italy managed to get that high on the list.

What is more, it appears like I'm spared listening to Belarus in the car, which is a blessing in itself.

MsZem

I see the sea
I just found the final a bit lackluster this year for some reason apart from couple of stand out acts. I thought the four hosts were mostly looking awkward trying to make jokes which consistently fell flat. I enjoyed the presentation clips the most with all the dancing, that was truly well done and made me want to jump in a plane and go visit all those places. Madonna surely didn't help, the build-up around her coming was unnecessary and her performance was so bad it killed the whole atmosphere.
Don't jump on the plane now; as @TAHbKA noted, much of the nice places where the postcards were shot are now yellow instead of green - not as pretty...

Madonna, Lior Suchard (the mentalist) and the interminable voting really served no purpose.

I think the interval act should have been Netta, then Idan Raichel (he could have done another song if needed), and then the song switches ending with Hallelujah. That was such a fabulous moment and it would have been to perfect note to end on (no pun intended).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information