2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

Tinami Amori

Are you counting it out?
thanks for trying to help me. i am not counting, but tried to dance to it with my "ball-room dancing" friends. Not only we managed to dance swing, quickstep, foxtrot.... this piece can also be used for jive, charlestone, dixie and lindy hop... all steps fit... It's been on my mind for more than a year... :D

Hope that someday i'll see this other piece used in skating (Jeeves and Wooster Theme)
.. to my surprise, heard/saw it only once at a Russian Novice local event in Moscow...

Sylvia

TBD
Misha Ge posted on his IG over the weekend that he choreographed Eliska Brezinova's SP to "Never Tear Us Apart" by Bishop Briggs: https://www.instagram.com/p/B0HVjQGpb2v/

In addition to the debut of Stephen Gogolev's Junior programs (I assume Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed his Peter Gabriel medley FS?), the spreadsheet is now updated with international skaters' programs that were skated at the Glacier Falls club comp. in Irvine, CA this past weekend (re-posting from the Glacier Falls competition thread in the Kiss & Cry section):
More free skate program music IDs, where known, of the recent senior/junior international competitors:

Yaroslav Paniot (UKR) - The Godfather [his SP is "Sway" by Michael Buble]
Ryan Dunk (returning to JGP) - "Io Ci Sarò" by Andrea Bocelli & pianist Lang Lang; choreo. by Jamie Isley
Sean Rabbitt - West Side Story medley from last season, self choreographed
Emmanuel Savary - Ragtime (piano) and jazzy medley

Alysa Liu (JGP debut) - "New World Symphony" by Jennifer Thomas (based on Dvorak's 9th symphony, 2nd 'Largo' movement); choreo. by Lori Nichol
Gabriella Izzo (returning to JGP) - "Vincent (Starry Starry Night)" (different cover than G/P's FD last season)
Emmy Ma (soon to be TPE) - "Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia" from Spartacus by Aram Khachaturian
Megan Wessenberg - last season's FS to "The Friends of Mr. Cairo" by Jon and Vangelis
Akari Nakahara - last season's FS to the As You Like It OST by Patrick Doyle
Emilia Murdock (JGP debut) - Tango medley, including "Oblivion (One Stolen Kiss)" Astor Piazzolla/David Zippel, female vocal by Sisson, and ending with "Yo Soy Maria"
Ellen Slavicek (JGP debut possibly?) - Ghost the Musical, including "Unchained Melody" duet

Short program music identified by @haribobo (thanks!) yesterday in this thread:
Akari Nakahara - The Rose, vocals
Emilia Murdock - Black and Gold by Brenna Whitaker [from last season]
Gabriella Izzo - I'm Here by Cynthia Erivo [debuted at Egna Spring Trophy in late March]
Megan Wessenberg - Tainted Love by Claire Guerreso
Emmy Ma - Is That Alright by Lady Gaga
Alysa Liu - Don't Rain on My Parade [went back to last season's SP]
Sean Rabbitt - Turandot [Nessun Dorma, self-choreographed, I assume]
Ryan Dunk - The Blower's Daughter by Damien Rice [both of his programs were choreographed by Jamie Isley]

Tinami Amori

Yasmin Levy, the singer in Alina Zagitova's SP, posts a message in her IG, about Alina using her music.
(partial: well, I’m just happy and grateful for making her feeling happy and inspired by my creation.. hoping it will touch few more souls around the world..)

DobrinFan

Artur Dmitriev Jr.
SP: Gladiator (same as last season)
FP: songs by Queen

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Daniil Gleikhengauz posted a sneak peek of new programs for all team Tutberidze skaters.
Music info from Russian boards:

Seniors:
Alena Kostornaia
LP: Alexandre Desplat- New Moon (Twighlight)

Anna Scherbakova
SP:Berliner Philharmoniker- The girl with the plums

Juniors:
Kamilla Valieva
LP: Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3 by Muse

Alena Kanysheva
The Earth Prelude - Ludovico Einaudi

Daria Usacheva
Je Suis Malade - Lara Fabian

Sofia Akatieva
Le Moulin - Yann Tiersen

Daniil Samsonov:
Per Te - Josh Groban

Egor Rukhin
Your song - Alessandro Safina, Ewan Mcgregor

VGThuy

Okay, that's another one where I don't understand how that fits the rules, if something like A Star Is Born doesn't.

I agree. I also think it's pretty safe...not that skating to these songs is easy because it's not and requires them to dance to a hard rhythm, but they didn't really take the challenge and instead chose popular songs from outside the musical genre even if they were used in the movie for storytelling purposes. I'm sure skating fans will love it though if they are allowed to keep this RD.

VGThuy

Blues Brothers is actually listed as a Juke Box Musical, which would make it acceptable. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jukebox_musical

I think the issue I have is that something like A Star is Born should be considered a musical to qualify as well as narratively-speaking it's not much different from the format of a musical. I know Blues Brothers should qualify since they take regular songs and perform them in scenes and off-stage, but there is also a lot of songs performed as performances as well. I don't know how the ISU tech committee is differentiating these things.

Also, that page wrongly lists Promises, Promises as a jukebox musical. It is NOT a jukebox musical as Burt Bacharach composed all original songs for that show. The Sean Hayes/Kristin Chenoweth revival may have added two famous Bacharach songs for Chenoweth to sing, but it's still an original musical.

Last edited:

Orm Irian

A Star is Born - any version - can't count as a musical because the musical numbers in it are diegetic and don't advance the narrative in their own right. In Blues Brothers the songs are mostly non-diegetic and some help to advance the narrative. That's why it qualifies as a musical and A Star is Born doesn't.

VGThuy

I don't really agree with that, and I think the 1954 version is definitely a musical. I think the distinction isn't clear-cut as whether something is diegetic or not can be argued since some will interpret the musical sequences as furthering character development and plot (even in small ways) and a lot of jukebox musicals on Broadway have been argued to not have musical numbers that actually advance any plot or story and are just there to please audiences, but I guess it's one of those where we agree to disagree.

Here's an article about rethinking the distinction of diegetic/nondiegetic in movie musicals:

Last edited:

Orm Irian

It's certainly not as clear-cut in jukebox musicals as it is in traditional musicals, because so many of them are stories about musicians or bands involving staged performances, but compare something like Rent or The Boy from Oz to A Star is Born and the difference is evident. The first two are stories told through music. The latter is a story about music/musicians. The Boy from Oz is also a story about a musician (at least the real one is, not the eviscerated waste of time that ended up on Broadway and should have been titled Liza, Judy and Some Guy with a Weird Accent, Who Was He Again?), but the way the songs function makes it more than just that: the self-revelations in 'Tenterfield Saddler' and 'Bicoastal', for example, are examples of both story and character being developed through song as in a traditional musical. Even in Buddy, you get moments like the Crickets breaking out of the c&w mold to shape their own destinies through a musical sequence, self-revelation through music ('True Love Ways') and the songs commenting on the action (Buddy leaves the Crickets and the score immediately jumps into 'Think it Over' even though that's chronologically the wrong period for it) in ways that they wouldn't if it was just a biography recreating staged performances.

A Star is Born doesn't do that. The songs are just songs, they sit there and illustrate stuff, they don't transform anything and they don't participate in the story. Nobody's a different person at the end of a song than they were at the start of one. It's not a musical because it doesn't work like a musical, and the diegetic nature of the songs is a big part of that, but so is the fact that the songs in it don't do what songs in a musical are meant to do.

Dobre

It's a gray area. We knew it would be. They could have been even tighter in the definition & ixnayed the jukebox musicals. And personally I'm glad we're not getting programs based on movie soundtracks that really only have one cheesy musical number.

So I'm good. I'm glad they endeavored to create a clear definition. Probably we will have some borderline stuff & hold this discussion a few times; but that's because it's a wide-sweeping genre with gray borders.

And if you want to cross the border, then there is the free dance. (It looks to me like more than one team has probably taken this approach with something they may have found while hunting for RDs).

Had an absolute blast watching the Canadian junior dancers from Minto Summer Skate today. Usually, I would have skipped a few groups without any JGP contenders in them; but it was like watching a Broadway Revue show. Just fun to see what every team chose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information