2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

LoopCombo

You're taking exception to the spelling correction rather than Frau Muller's usual thinly-veiled racism?

I haven’t been a member of this forum long enough to know the ins and outs of many specific posters, but the correcting of spelling and grammar etc. happens at other skating forums too, and when it does I just feel bad for people doing their best to communicate with each other about the sport they love. It’s not school, after all :wall:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
How is that relevant? She's an American singer who here is not singing in Spanish or a "Hispanic" style--if anything the song is influenced by African-American music styles (IMO, but I could be wrong). So what? I really hated the criticism that Starr was limiting herself by choosing African-themed or African-American music. African and African-American music are gigantic and multifarious, a person could spend her whole life learning about them and making music in those many traditions. There's nothing limiting about it. Skaters should skate to whatever excites them and suits them.

Starr was, for a while, in danger of being like an Italian ice dance team of the 1980s who always skated to Italian folk music. I’ll never forget Dick Button’s classic comment: “They always skate to an Alitalia commercial!” 😆

barbarafan

I haven’t been a member of this forum long enough to know the ins and outs of many specific posters, but the correcting of spelling and grammar etc. happens at other skating forums too, and when it does I just feel bad for people doing their best to communicate with each other about the sport they love. It’s not school, after all :wall:
ITA....so happy for people who are able to pick up languages. As well the software often decides what they feel you should have meant and changes your text accordingly. You always have to recheck b4 you post.

Dobre

Ecuador, being the name of a country and, therefore, relevant to many people's identity, I think it is not a bad thing to educate ourselves on how to spell the name. Same with athletes' names (which, of course, we get wrong all the time before we get them right). Personally, I don't mind being corrected if I muck up something like this. (As opposed to your regular typo, which we are all prone toward because . . . that's life). Also, I didn't know that Aguilera was of Ecuadorian descent (per the internet version of Webster's, it is "Ecuadorian" rather than "ean") so thanks for the information.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Starr was, for a while, in danger of being like an Italian ice dance team of the 1980s who always skated to Italian folk music. I’ll never forget Dick Button’s classic comment: “They always skate to an Alitalia commercial!” 😆

A quick Google search confirms that in her career thus far, Starr has skated to Mancini, Tchaikovsky, and Gershwin as well as to the music of black artists. You really shouldn't believe every garbage take that TSL tries to feed you.

Spun Silver

If you can't hear a difference between Summertime, Beyoncé, the Pink Panther and four Western composers'/performers' takes on African tribal/jungle music, you might as well stick to Alitalia commercials yourself.

jenny12

If you can't hear a difference between Summertime, Beyoncé, the Pink Panther and four Western composers'/performers' takes on African tribal/jungle music, you might as well stick to Alitalia commercials yourself.

Agreed. There is just as much diversity in African/African-American music as there is anywhere else. While as it has been proven that Starr has not only skated to music by Black artists, why is it a bad thing if she did? Almost every other skater has performed to music exclusively by White artists and have never been called out for that since that is assumed to be the norm. If Starr only wants to skate to Black artists, then more power to her.

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
A quick Google search confirms that in her career thus far, Starr has skated to Mancini, Tchaikovsky, and Gershwin as well as to the music of black artists. You really shouldn't believe every garbage take that TSL tries to feed you.

Has Starr announced her LP music yet? :watch:

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
My translation says that’s her “illustrative” program. If it’s Alina’s long program, I would be excited to see it!

Dobre

Komatsubara/Koleto

For the Rhythm Dance, we will be skating to selections from Dreamgirls.
For our Free Dance, Michael Flatley’s Lord of the Dance.

Dreamgirls sounds fun. I'm getting the impression that more than one team may have been looking around for a Broadway/musical program early on and have fallen in love with something before the late announcement about the Finnstep kiboshed the choice, leading teams to move their music to the FD. Either that or perhaps they stumbled on something else they liked while searching for RD music.

starrynight

I'm getting the impression that more than one team may have been looking around for a Broadway/musical program early on and have fallen in love with something before the late announcement about the Finnstep kiboshed the choice.

I wonder how long the discussion of the Finnstep change went on for behind the scenes?

Do we have a pattern dance for 2020/2021 yet? When do the patterns usually get announced?

Dobre

I wonder how long the discussion of the Finnstep change went on for behind the scenes?

Do we have a pattern dance for 2020/2021 yet? When do the patterns usually get announced?

I don't remember very far back, but I think the formal announcement usually comes out at the same time as the Finnstep one--during the meeting connected to Worlds. We get rumors beforehand. (The rumor that was circulating on the Russian boards prior to the Olympic season was that it would be the tango, which turned out to be wrong).

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
From what I've heard, there were talks about the finnstep at Euros and 4CC. I don't know about earlier than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information