2019-2020 Programs and Choreographers

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
With regard to Schindler's List specifically, I think it is important for skaters to see the film if they are going to skate to the music. Otherwise they may not grasp the magnitude and dimension of the themes that the music addresses.

I'm not sure I think that a skater needs to see the movie, but certainly understand what underlies it.

Given Jason's heritage and his connection to his heritage, I doubt very much he needs to see Schindler's List to understand the magnitude. Which is why I believe he will bring all the subtlety and sophistication we know he can express, as well as raw emotion, to this piece. :saint:

But we will see, and then we will know:)

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Could I interest you in Gilles & Poirier?

Or perhaps Guignard & Fabbri?

tee-hee

Afraid not although I appreciate the former’s programs and the latter’s technical abilities.

I’ll wait for C/P to grow up. :) not to mention I hope Chock/Bates continue their improvement.

Spun Silver

Ah, Hispanic...for a little variety!
Could you possibly listen to the song before announcing that it's Hispanic based on the singer's last name? (There is nothing Hispanic about it.)

It's a beautiful song and performance though not very rhythmic or varied in tempo. Emotionally it will be a bit of a stretch for Starr but I'm looking forward to it.

mackiecat

Could you possibly listen to the song before announcing that it's Hispanic based on the singer's last name? (There is nothing Hispanic about it.)

It's a beautiful song and performance though not very rhythmic or varied in tempo. Emotionally it will be a bit of a stretch for Starr but I'm looking forward to it.
The singer is of Equidorian decent. That is where her father was born. No this song is not Hispanic but Aguilera has done albums in Spanish.

Sylvia

TBD

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The singer is of Equidorian decent. That is where her father was born. No this song is not Hispanic but Aguilera has done albums in Spanish.

Ecuadorean. My point is that Starr is finally going beyond her Afro-American roots in choosing music. Woohoo! She has yet to announce her LP music, though...shhhh...

Spun Silver

How is that relevant? She's an American singer who here is not singing in Spanish or a "Hispanic" style--if anything the song is influenced by African-American music styles (IMO, but I could be wrong). So what? I really hated the criticism that Starr was limiting herself by choosing African-themed or African-American music. African and African-American music are gigantic and multifarious, a person could spend her whole life learning about them and making music in those many traditions. There's nothing limiting about it. Skaters should skate to whatever excites them and suits them.

VGThuy

How is that relevant? She's an American singer who here is not singing in Spanish or a "Hispanic" style--if anything the song is influenced by African-American music styles (IMO, but I could be wrong). So what? I really hated the criticism that Starr was limiting herself by choosing African-themed or African-American music. African and African-American music are gigantic and multifarious, a person could spend her whole life learning about them and making music in those many traditions. There's nothing limiting about it. Skaters should skate to whatever excites them and suits them.

:respec:

chameleonster

I'm willing to bet that a number of white skaters have skated to only white composers without a murmur. If your concern is Starr not branching out stylistically, she could spend the next ten years skating to only music by black artists and still have a rich, wide range of genres and styles to pick from.

Dobre

My understanding is that the whole she-only-skates-to-African-artists discussion was a false assumption by TSL in the first place. (And I personally find it difficult to believe that there are a large number of American athletes that only skate to Caucasian artists. I just remember growing up & realizing that practically every major rock and roll or R&B song that I had grown up hearing was attributable to African American artists. And reading a British-published book for my Popular American Culture class about rock music that was full of British rock bands--that left me going ??? as I could not name a song by most of them except for the Beatles & the Rolling Stones). Also, when I was skimming through figure skating bios a few years ago for Latin music, about 90% of the athletes I looked up had at least one Latin number in their previous repertoire. One of the beautiful things about this sport is the diversity of its music. (Even if we sometimes wonder whyyyyy we are then compelled to listen to multiple versions of the same song about a shirt;)).

Last edited:

RoseRed

My understanding is that the whole she-only-skates-to-African-artists discussion was a false assumption by TSL in the first place. (And I personally find it difficult to believe that there are a large number of American athletes that only skate to Caucasian artists. I just remember growing up & realizing that practically every major rock and roll or R&B song that I had grown up hearing was attributable to African American artists. And reading a British-published book for my popular American Culture Class about rock music that was full of British rock bands--that left me going ??? as I could not name a song by most of them except for the Beatles & the Rolling Stones). Also, when I was skimming through figure skating bios a few years ago for Latin music, about 90% of the athletes I looked up had at least one Latin number in their previous repertoire. One of the beautiful things about this sport is the diversity of its music. (Even if we sometimes wonder whyyyyy we are then compelled to listen to multiple versions of the same song about a shirt;)).
IIRC, I think they said is as something that had been told to them by a choreographer or skating parent or someone like that. I don't know if that was true, but it never came from something Starr or her camp said publicly, so it was only ever a rumour.

Anyways, I wouldn't care if she did want to do that, and it's clearly not accurate, so it's unimportant now.

I really like the song she's picked this year.

Japanfan

Given Jason's heritage and his connection to his heritage, I doubt very much he needs to see Schindler's List to understand the magnitude. Which is why I believe he will bring all the subtlety and sophistication we know he can express, as well as raw emotion, to this piece. :saint:

What's his heritage? Is he Jewish or part Jewish?

J

Jeschke

LoopCombo

Ecuadorean. My point is that Starr is finally going beyond her Afro-American roots in choosing music. Woohoo! She has yet to announce her LP music, though...shhhh...

Why, especially on a discussion board that may have any number of posters whose first language isn’t English, are we correcting other posts for grammar and spelling? Even for native speakers typos happen, spelling and grammar mistakes happen, and if they aren’t rendering the post incomprehensible why point them out? Do they somehow weaken the argument? I don’t mean to offend by posting this, I understand correcting inaccurate facts or maybe a misspelled skater’s name, but I think we all knew what Mackiecat meant.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Why, especially on a discussion board that may have any number of posters whose first language isn’t English, are we correcting other posts for grammar and spelling? Even for native speakers typos happen, spelling and grammar mistakes happen, and if they aren’t rendering the post incomprehensible why point them out? Do they somehow weaken the argument? I don’t mean to offend by posting this, I understand correcting inaccurate facts or maybe a misspelled skater’s name, but I think we all knew what Mackiecat meant.

You're taking exception to the spelling correction rather than Frau Muller's usual thinly-veiled racism?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information