2019-20 Canadian ladies news and updates

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Obviously Gabby's physical and mental health are the most important, but I'm starting to worry this could be it for her. I hope she can make a comeback. But most of all, I hope she can be happy and healthy.

Colonel Green

She was at High Performance Camp and on the ice there, so I'd gather she's training. I'd guess they don't want to rush things (which is good; I was against her going to WTT after Worlds, not because of what ended up happening, but it just seemed like pushing luck after Worlds was a decent capstone to a crappy year and WTT doesn't matter even a little bit).

JGP Riga wasn't a perfect debut by any means, but it has only made me more excited for Kaiya. She's got mental toughness (I frankly don't think any of our other junior ladies would have recovered from such a bad opening) and charisma to burn.

I have to wonder, was trying to do a 3Lo-3T after the 3T-3T didn't work an established backup plan, or just something she decided to YOLO on the spot? Because if it's the former, I don't think that's a good backup plan; combinations where the first part of the jump is the loop are really hard; she'd be better off trying 3S-3T in that scenario.

barbarafan

In other news, Daleman is no longer on the ISU entries for Autumn Classic. I hope she will be ready for the grand prix. Of course I wish they would replace her. I mean how hard would it to be bring in Blanchard or Decelles, or anyone?
Why do we only have 2 dance teams in Autumn Classic? I think they should have put in Fabbri/Ayers

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ted interviewed Kaiya:

WOW. I am so impressed with her! So composed and well spoken for her age and she even complimented Ted for all the work he does with the JGP.

Rock2

I think Kaiya is packaged perfectly for her age. I really dislike when skaters her age are given super-heavy choreo and music and sent out overly made up and dressed in costumes that are far too ornate and sophisticated.

I agree.
And she seems committed to the music and choreo while not being at all afraid of an audience.
As well, when stuff went wrong, it didn't seem to rattle her.

Based on her excellent summer skate we know the TES is in a good place already at this age. It's the other stuff I just mentioned that has me hopeful about what her potential could be.

dramagrrl

Ted interviewed Kaiya:
Her positivity and love for the sport is so clear. I try not to get too invested in skaters as young as she is, but quite honestly, I have not been as excited for a junior ladies skater in Canada in many years. As @Rock2 said above, it is not only that she has strong elements for her age, but also the fact that she has great charm and presence on the ice already and seems to love performing and everything else about the sport. I hope she is able to successfully navigate growth and everything else that will come with moving forward in the coming years.

Rock2

Ted interviewed Kaiya:

Just got to watching this interview a few mins ago. I have three thoughts:

1. If you took Alaine Chartrand, shrunk her down to 80 lbs and plugged her in, you'd get this.
2. She's 13 going on 21.
3. Classify me now as a super-fan, after hearing her talk and watching how she skates. She's going to do really well for herself and I'm going to uber the crap out of her in all stages of her career. Brace for the hype because I may end up bringing it.

So yeah, she's now my fave Canadian female singles skater; she just passed Cotop who is now second on my list. What say you, @danafan -- or is your wagon still tirelessly hitched to Schumacher??!?!?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Just got to watching this interview a few mins ago. I have three thoughts:

1. If you took Alaine Chartrand, shrunk her down to 80 lbs and plugged her in, you'd get this.
2. She's 13 going on 21.
3. Classify me now as a super-fan, after hearing her talk and watching how she skates. She's going to do really well for herself and I'm going to uber the crap out of her in all stages of her career. Brace for the hype because I may end up bringing it.

So yeah, she's now my fave Canadian female singles skater; she just passed Cotop who is now second on my list. What say you, @danafan -- or is your wagon still tirelessly hitched to Schumacher??!?!?

Lol Ruiter can go to junior worlds with Schumacher ;)
I don't let go easily. I'm still waiting for Kim Decelles' international breakthrough!

Colonel Green

Regarding the Youth Olympics, Skate Canada’s published selection criteria are season’s best international scores and making the JGP Final (obviously the latter not a factor for the ladies). Skate Canada has effectively narrowed the candidate roster to two skaters, since five of the seven JGP berths were given to skaters too young (Ruiter) or too old (Schumacher, Bausback) to go. The choices are Gran or Orzel — Olivia skates in Chelyabinsk, so this will be her shot at it.

RoseRed

Regarding the Youth Olympics, Skate Canada’s published selection criteria are season’s best international scores and making the JGP Final (obviously the latter not a factor for the ladies). Skate Canada has effectively narrowed the candidate roster to two skaters, since five of the seven JGP berths were given to skaters too young (Ruiter) or too old (Schumacher, Bausback) to go. The choices are Gran or Orzel — Olivia skates in Chelyabinsk, so this will be her shot at it.
Not necessarily. The selection criteria is "Best international scores achieved at junior international events in the 2019-2010 skating season", not at JGPs, so Jr B events would count too. Last season, SC sent Orzel and Catherine Carle to Golden Bear after they had decent summers but didn't get JGPs, and Hannah Dawson went to Golden Bear in 2017. I expect they'll send at least couple of girls to a junior B this fall.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

A better question would be why Skate Canada didn't submit any ladies alternates for Autumn Classic?

That reminds me of when Claire Ferguson forgot to name alternates to the team for the 1984 World Championships.

When Tiffany Chin and Rosalyn Sumners withdrew from the event, Katherine Adams was denied a spot because of Ferguson's oversight.

Enchanted

IMO, Gran and her team should re-think the music selection for the SP. The combination of Once Upon a Dream and Danse Macabre doesn't really work.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
So Michelle Long will be the top Canadian at the Autumn Classic. She set a personal best in the free and overall and got the worlds TES minimums in the free! Unfortunately she missed the TES minimum for 4CC by fractions of a point in the short. Her total score was 149.52. Assuming Skate Canada is monitoring scores this week and next (US Classic) for the final spot at SCI, this is the score Pineault and Dawson will be looking to beat next week. I'd love to see Long get another shot at the TES minimums in the short but I'm not holding my breath. I was happy for her though.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Long was 6th in the free and moved up to 8th overall!

Here's her interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnFGWvF83ws

She was excited about her technical score - clearly that was on her mind at this event. Sounds like she's taking some time to regroup before the rest of the season so I guess she doesn't expect to compete internationally again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information