2018 ISU Challenger Series announced

Sylvia

TBD
Sylvia and I will probably post this at the same time. The [U.S.] Classic schedule is finally up
Version 1.0 is dated August 8: https://www.usfigureskatingclassic.com/info

ETA - re-posting from the U.S. Classic thread in Kiss & Cry:

U.S. Classic roster changes as of August 29:

Ladies (still 15):
Added: Katie PASFIELD AUS
Moved to subs: Karen CHEN USA

Pairs (down to 5 which is the minimum for ISU WS points):
Added (moved from sub list): Winter DEARDORFF / Max SETTLAGE USA (Team USA debut together :))
No longer listed as competing:
Jessica PFUND / Joshua SANTILLAN USA (listed for Nebelhorn on ISU site but not yet confirmed on USFS' Assignments page)
Nadine WANG / Spencer Akira HOWE USA

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Hawayek/Baker are listed as withdrawn as of today (Sept. 7) from Autumn Classic International on USFS' International Assignments page.

ETA (from the U.S. Ladies thread):
It looks like [Emmy] Ma was moved to Finlandia after originally being assigned to Autumn Classic, but then showing up as only a sub on the Classic entry list. The ladies' field in Canada has 24 entrants, and I bet Canada only allowed the U.S. to send two ladies to not add another warm-up group/zam break.

Last edited:

lauravvv

Hawayek/Baker are listed as withdrawn as of today (Sept. 7) from Autumn Classic International on USFS' International Assignments page.
Yes, given that they are on the entry list of Finlandia Trophy, this is not surprising. As we know, it's a usual thing for skaters to be entered into several challengers at the beginning of the season and then withdrawn from the earlier ones. It does not even mean that there is an injury or something. I think in most cases they simply don't feel ready enough for the earlier events.

Thanks a lot, Ka3sha.
Ladies, Men and even Pairs look great. Dance not so much but still this is definetly the best CS line up so far.
One of the interesting points in dance is the competition between Smart/Diaz and Hurtado/Khaliavin. Apparently the Spanish federation is going by the same scheme as last season - the team with the higher combined score from the challenger where they are both competing + the results from Nationals will determine who will go to Worlds.

Last edited:

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
^ Spain has two Entries for Euros.
Haven't seen any criteria from the Spanish fed published yet.
I wonder if either C/P or Manta/Johnson who are entered as substitute for Autumn Classic will compete there in place of H/B.

lauravvv

levineismine - Yes, thank you for the correction. Coincidentally, I came here to edit my post because I remembered that they have two spots at Europeans. And I know that the Spanish federation has not published any criteria about ice dancers yet. I just thought that it might be the reason for both teams competing at the same challenger like it was done last season.

Dobre

Yes, given that they are on the entry list of Finlandia Trophy, this is not surprising. As we know, it's a usual thing for skaters to be entered into several challengers at the beginning of the season and then withdrawn from the earlier ones. It does not even mean that there is an injury or something. I think in most cases they simply don't feel ready enough for the earlier events.

Maybe. Hawayek & Baker usually do a summer event, which they didn't do this year. And they were in Montreal training before Hubbell & Donohue finished touring so it's a bit ? that H&B would be the ones pushing back their debut. It's an odd choice because H&B will have to travel much farther to go to Finland and the field there is deeper.

We'll just have to stay tuned & see what happens.

They go up late on the GP so they have some time.

ivagall

Better seats for us ;).
I'll publish them on facebook. Is's the best idea I have:)
Haha, yes...during the three days I plan to test the seats in all six sectors that will be available. ;):40beers:

It’s a good event and the OC works very hard, but they always seem to have a very small audience.
I'm sure they do, but they should really hire someone to do the promotion, well the whole figure skating federation could use some work on marketing/promotion/image of the sport etc. but that's another story. I mean the EC 2016 had great promotion and as a result the arena was almost full for every single competition. Figure skating is still popular in Slovakia, but majority of the casual skating fans have no idea that we even host Ondrej Nepela Memorial every single year and starting the ticket sale 10 days before competition and giving an interview to print media either one day before or at the first day of competition is not going to fill those empty seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information