2017 Tony Award Nominations

VGThuy

These nominations make it seem like the Tony nominating committee only liked 4 new musicals this season. There are some surprises and snubs, but most of the nominations were as predicted.

screech

I haven't seen any of the shows, but I was always kind of rooting for Josh Groban - there's something I find so likeable about him. And his talent! Also, ANDREW RANNELLS!!! I adore him and think so supremely talented (and should have won for Book of Mormon). Plus, the subject matter of Falsettos. There had been some talk that Falsettos might have gotten ignored, since it was a limited run that ended in early January, so I'm happy it got its recognition.

Jubak

I am not a crazed Josh Groban fan, but I must say, he sings beautifully and is wonderful in "Great Comet" I loved, loved the show. I truly is like nothing ever seen on Broadway before. I want it to win the Tony, but my bet is on the "Come from Away". I haven't seen it but I guess it's a heart-tugging one. I think it can sneak in like "Fun Home" did.

screech

Just FYI, there's a contest to win a trip to the Tony Awards (open basically worldwide). Prize includes round trip flight (on United, just a heads up), 2 nights hotel, 2 tickets to the show, entrance to the dress rehearsal for the show, walking the red carpet, and tickets to the gala.
They have a 'refer a friend' thing where if someone donates using the link you provide, an extra entry is given to the original person. Here's my link.

There is free entry (mail in), but it's also a charity thing with minimum $10 donation (which gives 100 entries to the draw). $$ raised goes to the Broadway League foundation whose mission (from the contest website) is to enlighten and increase the public's knowledge, appreciation and awareness of theatre arts; and to preserve and promote live theatre as a vital and culturally significant artistic medium.

screech

I really wish the Tony Awards would recognize shows that are long-running. Like each year they should have an award for best replacement actor and actress (with each actor only eligible once per show). Shows like Book of Mormon, Wicked, Chicago, Lion King and Phantom of the Opera (still going since 1988!!!) have been going for multiple years and have had some pretty replacement performances. It's always bugged me that a show is eligible once, and then basically ignored until its run ends and it's then revived years later. Whose to say that an actor currently in (for example) Phantom isn't the best actor on Broadway right now?

VGThuy

They played with that idea but a lot of people thought it would only be given to celebrity actors who take over roles aka stunt casting. It was maligned as the Brooke Shields award. Plus there's the logistics of making sure the Tony nominating committee and then the Tony membership being able to view all the replacements in the running and the shows comping tickets, etc. on top of watching all the new musicals and plays coming out in the season.

screech

It would make sense for the shows to submit names for consideration, then the membership only has to see a limited number of times.

After I posted I did read that they tried it one year. It wasn't successful the one year so they didn't try again. It seems like it was poorly planned out from the get go and they didn't bother to try to improve the ideas.

caseyedwards

They played with that idea but a lot of people thought it would only be given to celebrity actors who take over roles aka stunt casting. It was maligned as the Brooke Shields award. Plus there's the logistics of making sure the Tony nominating committee and then the Tony membership being able to view all the replacements in the running and the shows comping tickets, etc. on top of watching all the new musicals and plays coming out in the season.

I remember a big discussion about actors who originated roles and who weren't nominated or lost would be insulted a lot by an award for replacements. So even though it came very close to being created it was cancelled at the last minute.

Jonathan pryce was a main contender
http://nypost.com/2006/05/19/tony-sub-snub-no-nod-has-pryce-feeling-a-bit-rotten/

Fierstein says he thinks the replacement award is “creepy.”

“Not that I have any problem accepting awards – I’ll take every one you got, honey! – but it’s sort of a backhanded slap at the person you’re replacing,” he tells The Post.

VGThuy

I'm now imagining the Golden Age and how someone like Ethel Merman would take losing a Tony only for another person to win one for playing the same character in the same production only a year or so after she left. Talk about heads rolling.

BTW, Jonathan Pryce comes off like a real diva in that article and that self-pitying is annoying "Sorry, I'm not worthy." I hope time healed all wounds and he got a grip. I remember watching a video of his nasty reaction when his co-star, Martine McCutheon, won Best Actress for My Fair Lady at the Olivier Awards. To be fair to him, though, she seemed like a real headache to work with with her not showing up for most of her scheduled performances feigning illness and all that.

Last edited:

screech

Nobody watching the show?

I've been sadly underwhelmed with Kevin Spacey as host. Knowing his talents, I was expecting a lot more from him. His impressions have been his best bits. Many people are probably too young to get his Johnny Carson, but his Bill Clinton was hilarious! As was Ben Platt's reaction.

My favourite (Andrew Rannells) lost, but he wasn't the favourite. I got my hopes up after the upset for Featured Actor in a Play, thinking there could possibly be a surprise in the Featured Actor in a Musical, but alas, 'twas not to be. You'll get that Tony someday, Andrew!!! (You should have won in 2011).

Some great performances, and some great (and also some horrible) fashion.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I thought Spacey did a really nice job as host. He didn't make it all about himself, he kept to the point, he did some funny bits, and he moved things along. There's not much more you can ask from a host! Happy for Dear Evan Hansen's multiple wins, but I thought Great Comet had the best performance of the night -- they brought a whole other level of energy to it.

I was happy Bandstand got a little Tony love, too! I love swing dancing, and I'm hoping to see that one next month.

screech

What I was happiest about was Falsettos getting a chance to perform. They didn't know if they would get to, since the show closed in January. So they all got together to rehearse just for this one performance. Loved it!!

I also loved the Great Comet performance. I've heard mixed reviews of the show, but I love hearing Josh Groban let his voice go a bit grittier. Plus he learned to play the accordion for his role in the show!

And after last night, John Legend is just an Emmy away from an EGOT. He has multiple Grammys, an Oscar for best song from Selma, and now a Tony for producing the play Jitney. I don't doubt he'll have an EGOT within the next 5 years. (Also, Bette Midler is now just missing the Oscar).

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Pasek & Paul are getting closer to the EGOT, too. If the Dear Evan Hansen cast album or the La La Land soundtrack should win a Grammy, they'll have only the Emmy left to go.

screech

Apparently Pasek and Paul did a song for the musical episode of Flash/Supergirl this year. They could potentially get the entire EGOT within a single season.

Jubak

Spacey for me was much, much better than I thought he would be. I saw "Great Comet" and am crazy about the show. It's a wild ride. Groban is terrific, as is the entire cast. I call it "opera on acid." Not at all traditional and it's like nothing ever seen before. Haven't seen "Dear Evan Hansen" and it just didn't look all that interesting to me, although Platt was really, really good on the Tonys.

Was talking to a cast member of "Bandstand" and the feature on the Tonys really gave their box office a major boost. Since we are also headed to the 4th of July, they expect the momentum to keep on. Now I have to get to go see it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information