2016 NCAA Gymnastics

Erin

Banned Member
First division of semi-finals just finished. Qualifiers are Florida, LSU, and Georgia, with Auburn, Stanford and Minnesota out. Not a big surprise except for maybe Georgia over Auburn, as I think Auburn had been higher ranked going in. But Georgia appears to have actually hit beam for once, which makes a big difference since they counted a fall in almost all of their regular season meets. Georgia's been one of my favorite teams this year in spite of their inconsistency on beam, so I'm glad they made it through.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Yay for Nush winning BB! :cheer:Yay for UCLA into the super six! :cheer: Yay for Nina McGee winning FX! :cheer:

Does this make Bridget more decorated in NCAA than Kupets? Really happy for her as well.

Erin

Banned Member
I'm thrilled for Brittany Rogers to get the win on bars! That's my favorite result so far, it's a great send-off before she goes back to elite.

Finally got to look at the results and what a disaster for Minnesota on bars. :yikes: 3 routines with falls, so had to count 2 of them and count a 9.6, which you usually want to throw out.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
Anyone else watching the super six on ESPNU tonight? Great gymnastics from all the teams so far! :cheer:

GO UCLA and Oklahoma (my two faves although any of these teams would be a great champion)!! :cheer2:

alexikeguchi

I'm getting a headache from flipping between all the sites to follow the OK men and women, but so far, it's worth it!

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
0.2 advantage for OU over Florida - not over yet (FL can score huge on bars) but they'll have to give it away.

Looking forward to LSU on floor!

Lara

I don't think Bama can overtake LSU looking at the current scores. Oklahoma still in the driver's seat.

ETA - whoa, they *almost* did it.

And congrats OU!!! :cheer2:

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
I'm rooting for Oklahoma. I've so enjoyed their gymnastics tonight. :cheer:

AND THEY WIN!!! They might even win by a larger margin after this last gymnast finishes her FX routine!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Lucy25

Congrats to Oklahoma! This is the first time I've seen them all year. I am soooo happy for LSU - my fav team. And they are so young. I can't wait for next year. I am a bit stunned Florida ended in 4th. Thought they'd higher. What a great competition. What a great season. I'm bummed it's all over.

Lara

So happy for OU! They really deserved this championship. Great to see both them and LSU come back from the disappointment last season.

Such a great championship overall - I know Florida will be most disappointed but they had fantastic performances too.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
That was an awesome competition, it took the last two routines from all 4 teams to figure anything out. :respec:

So happy with how UCLA placed here, this is a perfect setup for Kyla Ross (and maybe Madison Kocian) to come in and make the team even better on all 4 events next year. They couldn't have done any better. :kickass:

Oklahoma was fab and their beam choreo is :swoon: really happy for them.

I was pulling for LSU but they still got their highest finish ever with 2nd. :rockstar: vault was amazing, I was happy with Finnegan esp after that bar routine. She had the best FTY of the entire competition.

And Bridget Sloan is an amazing gymnast, I'm really going to miss her.

Lara

I was so distracted by how close the final rotation was, it didn't register that was Sloan's last routine. She'll definitely be missed.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Does this make Bridget more decorated in NCAA than Kupets? Really happy for her as well.

Sloan won 2 NCAA all-around titles. Kupets won 3 and Jenny Hansen of Kentucky also won 3. Overall, Sloan has 6 individual NCAA titles compared to Kupets' 9 titles. Kupets can safely keep her GOAT designation for now. :)

I thought the Super Six was fantastic, with a deserving champion in Oklahoma. Florida looked just a bit off in certain routines and LSU didn't really do enough on bars and beam to reach the top spot. However, Sloan sure competed like a boss and LSU's vault rotation was fantastic! Alabama did very well throughout.

It was nice to see Georgia back in Super Six action, but man, they have a ways to go to be competitive. Floor in particular stood out and not in a good way. Yoculan may have given her girls cheesy floor routines sometimes, but young women like Stack and Tolnay sold the hell out of them. This current group had the standard NCAA bombastic music, but generic choreography and not-quite-there presentation. Lots to work on there!

UCLA turned it on on the balance beam. Really nice rotation for them and they should be much better next year with the addition of Kyla Ross.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
What a fantastic Super Six! ZERO beam falls! :wideeyes:

Obviously some overscoring here and there as the event went on, but I think the overall placements were dead on. Super happy for Oklahoma, they've been the best and most consistent team all season long. I'm so impressed that they've built up such a great program without getting many of the big names of elite gymnastics (yes, they've had a few over the years.. Vise, Kelley, Dowell... I believe Nichols is committed to there, too), but nowhere near the amount that Florida or UCLA has had.

Do we seriously have to wait 8 months for next season to start? :wuzrobbed

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
UCLA turned it on on the balance beam. Really nice rotation for them and they should be much better next year with the addition of Kyla Ross.

Im really excited to see what Miss Val does with her, there's so much untapped potential there on floor. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kyla give Kupets a run for her money on NCAA titles. She's going to boost the team on all 4 events, as well as Kocian. (Who would be silly to go pro)

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information