2016 NCAA Gymnastics

Erin

Banned Member
Wish I could go to the regional in Minnesota! Of course, the reason I can't go is because I will be at worlds, but I still wish they weren't at the same time.

Still catching up on all the meets from the weekend, down to just the SEC evening session left. It's hard to have an opinion on whether the right team wins since I'm not seeing all the routines (and while I'm sure I could YouTube them, I'm not quite that into it). From what I did see, Oklahoma is the class of the field - they have the nicest lines, best form, and I love their floor choreography, which is so different than the rest of the field. Wish I got a channel where I could see more of UCLA, as they are the one top team I have barely been able to watch.

Eta - the only thing I don't like about Oklahoma is that all their meets are commentated by the supremely irritating Kelly Garrison-Funderburk, whose high nasal voice and constant giggling drives me crazy. I'd forgive it if she was saying anything of substance but she is usually just talking about her own career or saying she doesn't know how coach Kindler does it. I'm with @Lucy25 that Kathy Johnson-Clarke and Bart Connor are the best commentating team by far.

Last edited:

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
I'm always glad when Bart and Kathy get the call on the SEC network. Kupets & her non-gymnastics partner annoy the snot out of me. I was at a meet at Mizzou that they were commentating and I'm pretty sure I heard Courtney shrieking from across the arena once.

@Lucy25 I know past years have had free online coverage of all of the regionals, but it has been several seasons since I've been home to watch, either been at a regional, or busy with who knows what. The most recent year I watched online (probably.. 2011?) they were showing every routine. While the rotations were going on they alternated the beam and floor routines, and then they showed all of the vaults and bars routines inbetween the rotations. I don't know if I just got lucky that the meet I picked to watch did that, or if it's standard procedure from NCAA to do this for regionals.

Lucy25

OMG - Yes!! I could not figure out who that horrid voice belonged to! My cable channel joined the Big 12 meet halfway in, and I never got to hear who that was. It sounded like a little old lady on helium. I do not even recognize that name. I could never stand listening to her more than once.

I never even considered until now to try to get tickets to the regional at Michigan! I wonder if they are available - off to check right now!

Thanks @Fridge_Break!

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
That Michigan regional is going to be amazing, and depressing! Michigan, Auburn, and Stanford all have a case for themselves to make it to nationals. Plus Penn State has had some good meets at the end of their season. And, while highly unlikely, I even wouldn't rule out Eastern Michigan to capitalize if others make mistakes. Sadly only 2 of these teams can go to nationals. And the AA battle for the individual spots is going to be insane, too. If your'e able to go, you really should! The atmosphere for regionals is always electric, they have designated sections for all of the away teams so their fans can sit together and the whole meet is a massive ball of energy and excitement!

Mr. Fridge and I were contemplating earlier that if Michigan State and Florida (his team) ended up at the same regional that we would attend wherever that would be. Alas, UF is up in Minnesota, and MSU is down in Georgia. Booo.

Last edited:

Lucy25

OMG - Yes!! I could not figure out who that horrid voice belonged to! My cable channel joined the Big 12 meet halfway in, and I never got to hear who that was. It sounded like a little old lady on helium. I do not even recognize that name. I could never stand listening to her more than once.

I never even considered until now to try to get tickets to the regional at Michigan! I wonder if they are available - off to check right now!
That Michigan regional is going to be amazing, and depressing! Michigan, Auburn, and Stanford all have a case for themselves to make it to nationals. Plus Penn State has had some good meets at the end of their season. And, while highly unlikely, I even wouldn't rule out Eastern Michigan to capitalize if others make mistakes. Sadly only 2 of these teams can go to nationals. And the AA battle for the individual spots is going to be insane, too. If your'e able to go, you really should! The atmosphere for regionals is always electric, they have designated sections for all of the away teams so their fans can sit together and the whole meet is a massive ball of energy and excitement!

Tickets are only $10!

Erin

Banned Member

Kelly was a member of the US Olympic team in 1988 and went on to compete for Oklahoma. And scored the first perfect 10 in Oklahoma's history. All of which she will tell you repeatedly on the broadcast. I like Oklahoma but she makes me kind of want to hate them.

HeatherC

Searching for Sanity
That Michigan regional is going to be brutal! I would go as far to say that at least two great teams aren't going to make it to Nationals just because they ended up in that tough regional. Wow! :yikes:

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Kelly was a member of the US Olympic team in 1988 and went on to compete for Oklahoma. And scored the first perfect 10 in Oklahoma's history. All of which she will tell you repeatedly on the broadcast. I like Oklahoma but she makes me kind of want to hate them.

Sorry for being nit picky, but Garrison-Steves (as was her married name at that time) actually made the Olympic team while competing NCAA for Oklahoma. She was the NCAA AA champion in 1987 and 1988. She retired after the Olympics and did not compete NCAA in what would have been her senior season.

Erin

Banned Member
No problem with the nitpicks, I appreciate the corrections :) I just assumed she must have done NCAA after elite and I'm impressed that she was able to do both at the same time. I vaguely remember liking her gymnastics at some pro event ages ago, but her commentary is so brutal that it taints that memory.

mattiecat13

Would love to see fewer leaps on BB (and floor exercise) and more flexibility moves and actual on-beam work. Also more complicated mounts.

Lucy25

I really want to see more held balance/strength moves on the beam. I would ban that low wolf turn (the one that Biles does). I see too many college gymnasts try it, failing the rotation most of the time - even attempting one full turn. I don't even think it is an attractive move.

Erin

Banned Member
Yeah I hate the low wolf turn too. I can't think of anyone who does an attractive one.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
I'd rather see the Li Li backspin over a wolf turn.

I agree it would be nice to see flexibility moves make a comeback. And maybe make a 180 degree split position in a non-acro or dance element a requirement (at least in elite - or suffer a .5 deduction). We'd see a lot more scales, Valdez, back walkover, planche-to-handstand split type of elements.

There needs to be more beauty on balance beam. Lengthen the elite routines by 5 seconds if that's what it takes. These NCAA routines are starting to incorporate too many of the :duh: skills that the fig is promoting.

Last edited:

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
The wolf turn is the ugliest, most obnoxious skill ever. Nobody makes it look good and nobody can do it without massive windmill arms the entire time. I hate that it's been crossed over to floor exercise too, though more in elite.

More handstands on beam in both NCAA and elite would be a very welcome addition.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Athens Regional Results:
(Bold indicates advancing to Nationals)

TEAM
197.300 LSU (no. 1 seed)
196.850 Georgia (no. 2 seed)
196.000 Oregon State (no. 3 seed)
195.900 Arizona (no. 4 seed)
195.550 George Washington (no. 5 seed)
195.350 (no. 6 seed)

INDIVIDUAL ALL AROUND
39.550 Myia Hambrick LSU
39.450 Brandie Jay UGA
39.350 Brittany Rogers UGA
39.275 Lisa Burt MSU
39.275 Madeline Gardiner OreSt

EVENT WINNERS
VAULT
9.975 Sydney Ewing LSU

BARS
9.950 Brandie Jay UGA

BEAM
9.900 Ashlyn Broussard UGA
9.900 Myia Hambrick LSU
9.900 Alexandra Mills Arizona
9.900 Risa Perez OreSt

FLOOR
9.950 Ashleigh Gnat LSU
9.950 Myia Hambrick LSU

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Iowa City Regional Results:

TEAM
197.575 Oklahoma (no. 1 seed)
196.550 Nebraska (no. 2 seed)
195.452 Iowa (no. 4 seed)
195.325 Arkansas (no. 3 seed)
194.675 Central Michigan (no. 5 seed)
194.525 Kent State (no. 6 seed)

INDIVIDUAL ALL AROUND
39.550 Chayse Capps OU
39.475 Keely Kmieciak OU
39.450 Hollie Blanske Neb
39.450 Mollie Drenth Iowa
39.350 Amanda Wellick Ark

EVENT WINNERS
VAULT
9.900 Chayse Capps OU

BARS
9.950 McKenzie Wofford OU

BEAM
9.900 Natalie Brown OU
9.900 Chayse Capps OU
9.900 Mollie Drenth Iowa
9.900 Nicole Lehrmann OU
9.900 Grace Williams Neb

FLOOR
9.900 Hollie Blanske Neb
9.900 AJ Jackson OU

Lucy25

That was a great meet to watch! I just love LSU. The Alabama regional is anti-climatic. I'm a little nervous for Michigan, but they are killing it on vault right now.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Tuscaloosa Regional Results:

TEAM
197.125 Alabama (no. 1 seed)
195.925 California (no. 2 seed)
195.750 Boise State (no. 3 seed)
195.725 Kentucky (no. 4 seed)
194.250 West Virginia (no. 5 seed)
193.525 Bowling Green (no. 6 seed)

INDIVIDUAL ALL AROUND
39.175 Alex Hyland UK
39.125 Sidney Dukes UK (wins tiebreaker)
39.125 Sandra Collantes BSU

EVENT WINNERS
VAULT
9.900 Taylor Allex Arizona State

BARS
9.900 Mackenzie Brannan Bama

BEAM
9.900 Shani Remme BSU

FLOOR
9.950 Lauren Beers Bama

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Minneapolis Regional Results:

TEAM
196.725 Florida (no. 1 seed)
196.175 Minnesota (no. 3 seed)
195.850 Missouri (no. 4 seed)
195.700 Denver (no. 2 seed)
194.775 Ohio State (no. 5 seed)
194.075 Brigham Young (no. 6 seed)

INDIVIDUAL ALL AROUND
39.375 Bridget Sloan UF
39.350 Nina McGee DU
39.300 Morgan Porter MIZZOU

EVENT WINNERS
VAULT
9.900 Alicia Boren UF
9.900 Alex McMurtry UF
9.900 Meaghan Sievers IOWA STATE

BARS
9.875 Lindsay Mable MINN
9.875 Alex McMurtry UF

BEAM
9.950 Bridget Sloan UF

FLOOR
9.950 Nina McGee DU

Lucy25

Thanks for those! The Minneapolis Reginal is one I have not been able to see. So happy that Bridget Sloan did so well.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Ann Arbor Regional Results:

TEAM
196.525 Auburn (no. 1 seed)
196.525 Stanford (no. 3 seed)
196.475 Michigan (no. 2 seed)
196.250 Eastern Michigan (no. 4 seed)
195.125 Penn State (no. 5 seed)
193.900 New Hampshire (no. 6 seed)

INDIVIDUAL ALL AROUND
39.575 Elizabeth Price STANFORD
39.450 Nicole Artz UM
39.375 Brianna Brown UM (won tiebreaker)
39.375 Briannah Tsang PSU

EVENT WINNERS
VAULT
9.900 Mary Jane Rott AUBURN

BARS
9.975 Elizabeth Price STANFORD

BEAM
9.900 Nicole Artz UM
9.900 Ivana Hong STANFORD

FLOOR
9.900 Caitlin Atkinson AUBURN
9.900 Talia Chiarelli UM
9.900 Lexus Demers AUBURN
9.900 Kait Kluz AUBURN
9.900 Lindsay Offutt PITT
9.900 Elizabeth Price STANFORD
9.900 Rachel Slocum EMU
9.900 Briannah Tsang PSU

Last edited:

Lucy25

I am heartbroken for Michigan. I missed their beam - which is where they lost their points and could never catch up. They were awesome on bars, their last event.

Fridge_Break

#HotMessExpress
Salt Lake City Regional Results:

TEAM
197.125 Utah (no. 1 seed)
196.375 UCLA (no. 2 seed)
195.825 Washington (no. 3 seed)
195.350 Illinois (no. 5 seed)
195.025 Utah State (no. 6 seed)
194.950 Southern Utah (no. 4 seed)

INDIVIDUAL ALL AROUND