1998 Olympic SP: Surya vs Irina

Surya vs Irina, who wins?

• Total voters

VGThuy

Well, you know, there’s always going to be the skaters who phone it in, collect the paycheck and go home. Not everyone can be Denise or Kristi. ;)

I certainly don’t think “Hat Full of Stars” is all Yuka Sato’s pro career amounted to. In fact, I barely remember that program. I remember way more. Yuka Sato was pretty amazing as a pro and didn’t phone it in even if she skated to one program one or two too many times. She kept up her fitness, was good for a few triples (I remember she always had at least two reliable Triple Salchows), had skating skills to die for, and even won competitions including world pros late in her pro career...beating the likes of recently crowned OGM Sarah Hughes and recently crowned World Champ Irina Slutskaya. She even won the pairs title at the same competition. She even beat Kristi and probably Denise a few times in her pro career.

Bellanca

I certainly don’t think “Hat Full of Stars” is all Yuka Sato’s pro career amounted to. In fact, I barely remember that program. I remember way more. Yuka Sato was pretty amazing as a pro and didn’t phone it in even if she skated to one program one or two too many times. She kept up her fitness, was good for a few triples (I remember she always had at least two reliable Triple Salchows), had skating skills to die for, and even won competitions including world pros late in her pro career...beating the likes of recently crowned OGM Sarah Hughes and recently crowned World Champ Irina Slutskaya. She even won the pairs title at the same competition. She even beat Kristi and probably Denise a few times in her pro career.
I wasn't even thinking of Yuka when I made my comment. I was actually thinking about show skating in general. Imo, Yuka never phoned it in, but there were always a few who did. It was obvious and disappointing especially to the fans who spend a lot of $ to see them. The shows’ admittance fees/tickets are not exactly cheap.

ETA: Yuka is considered to be a skaters’ skater with skating skills to die for.

Last edited:

Fiero425

This reminds me of 2000 at the Goodwill Games where Pros participated instead of Amateurs! The oldsters, still hanging on by threads were Dorothy Hamill and Katarina Witt! Both were approaching Peggy Fleming territory of not even having a double Axil! The next tier was Nancy Kerrigan and Oksana Baiul! Rounding out the field of stars was Yuka Sato and Surya Bonaly! There were few surprises along the way, but some very entertaining skating! I think Witt actually kissed the ice because she completed her last triple toe that night! Hamill just gave you spins, spirals, maybe an axil, and that straight back! After the SP, they lagged behind the jumpers! Kerrigan was 'meh' and looked as if she arrived late to compete while Baiul was surprisingly good and ready! Oksana performed her classic "Dark Swan" SP and for the long a Spanish influence where she actually hit her 3 Lutz w/o the help of her 2nd foot! It was the only time she ever completed that jump perfectly going back to when she won the Olympics and Worlds! They showed Kerrigan's mouth going agape! Unfortunately OB couldn't keep it going, lost concentration and doubled her Salchow! If she had left it alone she would have placed above Nancy, but her ego wouldn't allow it so she made another pass with the music already finished and fell on a 2 Axil! Idiot!

From there you knew it was going to come down to Surya and Yuka! Yuka did her usual good job using "HFOS," which is what some consider her career had come down to! lol! Surya came out a little shaky IIRC singling her Axil at the start of her program from Emma Shapplin, "Cour Senza Sangue!" I was concerned because judges look to overlook Surya, often complaining about her lack of skating skills! It finally caught up to Sato using that same ol' chestnut of "Hat Full Of Stars" and she went DOWN to Bonaly even though not skating her best! It could've been better, but I'll take it and so could she! ;-)

Last edited:

bardtoob

This reminds me of 2000 at the Goodwill Games where Pros participated instead of Amateurs! The oldsters, still hanging on by threads were Dorothy Hamill and Katarina Witt! Both were approaching Peggy Fleming territory of not even having a double Axil!
I think Witt actually kissed the ice because she completed her last triple toe that night!

Thanks for the reference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information