1989 Euros AA, Was it a Win or Legitimate Tie? Boginskaya vs Silivas?

1989 Euros AA, Was it a Win or Legitimate Tie?

• Total voters

VGThuy

Sacramone is always going to be a sad story for me because I thought she would come out of Beijing a star with her flair and fierceness. But then she was so beaten up by the Olympics that she barely could perform with any energy. That FX got weaker and weaker as the years went by as she took out choreography and it looked like she was barely strutting through it. That whole Beijing team seemed so weak compared to 2007 Worlds. Even Nastia looked off until the AA where she woke up in a big way.

Bellanca

The worst one of the bunch for me was her 1989 floor routine where she pretends to play the guitar.
Air guitar is cringeworthy under any circumstance, let alone gymnastics. I agree — that was cheese.

Bellanca

Re: Alicia, it was an incredibly sad moment for her after the team finals because she appeared to believe that Team USA had slipped from gold to silver partly due to her errors on the beam and floor. You could see it in her eyes and face, but the thing is she should not carry that weight — and I genuinely hope that she does not. That is the sport – things happen, and I know they tried six ways from Sunday to say even without the troubles Alicia ran into, Team USA would have lost gold, anyway. The bottom line, I have always felt bad for her, but I think she did her best, and as they say, it was not her day.

Alicia’s teammates were momentarily affected by it, but they were quick to console her and move forward. Plus, they still came away with silver – so not too shabby.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
Boguinskaya for me. And I agree it's the beam that puts her ahead but I love her Carmen too. However, what is with Cathy Rigby insisting on calling Silivas 'Danielle' all the way through????

I just got around to watching, and there was a lot of weird pronunciation in that broadcast (e.g. the way they were saying Strazheva and Onodi). But Danielle was definitely the weirdest.

Hedwig

Antique member
Funny - I was a Kim Zmeskal fan too :lol: - but that was not because of her gymnastics (I puzzle about how much I could like her looking back) but because I watched the movie Nadia a month or so before Indianapolis 1991 - and then seeing Bela Karoly dumbfounded me - I was only 13 years old and to see someone who I had admired in a movie before completly floored me :rofl:

So maybe part of my not-getting-Bogie was Zmeskal love but since I don't get her even looking back and knowing more about gymnastics, I think it is more. The long lines you are talking about: Yes, I see them in compulsories. the floor compulsories are a masterpiece. but I found her bars work very unelegant and heavy (no handstands as well) and her cowboy style double backs are very ugly. If you cannot do a pretty double back, why not use other elements? Khorkina was one gymnast to adapt the COP to her body. I really appreciated that about her, even though I was more a Liliya Podkopayeva (or my guilty pleasure - Lavina Milosovici) fan at that area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information