Let's Talk Movies #36 - 2020 - Yep it is a new decade

Sylvia

TBD
"Premiering in Cannes' Un Certain Regard section, Hiroshi Okuyama's latest follows a boy who starts training with a rising skating star and her coach."
In Hiroshi Okuyama’s My Sunshine, three souls find solace and poignant moments of self-discovery in figure skating. The film chronicles a season of the sport in a small town on a Japanese island, the kind of place whose melting snow and changing leaves inspire poetic musings. Guided by the beauty of the landscape and the nostalgia of childhood, Okuyama constructs a quiet narrative buoyed by an understated charm.

vgerdes

Yes. And don't forget that there have been previous TV and movie incarnations of Garfield that were quite popular as well. Garfield is iconic for many (including me). Nerd alert: I used to save copies of the Garfield comic strip from the newspaper in a scrapbook. I absolutely adored that cat as a teenager/college student, and my affection for him lingers. I'm probably going to see this one when I get a chance.

watchthis!!

Lucky Them is a pretty good movie with Toni Collette and Thomas Hayden Church as two mis-matched folks in search of an up and coming musician who one day disappears. Did he commit suicide? This musician also happens to be someone Collette's character had been dating. She is now a music reviewer/reporter and her boss basically demands that she look into what happened to him as their magazine as not doing well and he needs a reporter as good as her to get a great story. Hayden Church is also an ex, most likely on the spectrum and maybe a billionaire. He basically shoulders his way into Collette's search and a strange, but entertaining story ensues. Collette is amazing as always and probably the main reason to watch this. A pretty good script and a story tied up well (unlike too many movies where the writer wasn't good at that part of the script)!

manhn

Finished Origin, directed by Ava Duvenay. I thought it was an amazing and emotional journey of an academic writing a book on the caste system. When she kinda expresses her thesis at the end, I was in tears.

Judy

Yes. And don't forget that there have been previous TV and movie incarnations of Garfield that were quite popular as well. Garfield is iconic for many (including me). Nerd alert: I used to save copies of the Garfield comic strip from the newspaper in a scrapbook. I absolutely adored that cat as a teenager/college student, and my affection for him lingers. I'm probably going to see this one when I get a chance.
I am def old enough to remember Garfield lol.

Judy

Finished Origin, directed by Ava Duvenay. I thought it was an amazing and emotional journey of an academic writing a book on the caste system. When she kinda expresses her thesis at the end, I was in tears.
I just watched the trailer. I’ll have to work myself up to it … yeah I’ll likely cry too 😔. Thanks for sharing though. I’m 100% an emotional wimp.

Last edited:

Davy88gtbwxyc

Neighbors 2 with Seth Rogan, was a bit of a disappointment. I wasn't impressed with the humor, which felt forced and relied too heavily on vulgarity. Seth Rogen's shtick is starting to feel stale, and the new cast of sorority sisters didn't bring much to the table. The movie's attempts at heart and relatability fell flat, and it just felt like a lazy, crass attempt at comedy. I didn't find myself laughing much, and the whole thing felt like a rehashing of better ideas from other movies. Overall, it was a skippable film that didn't leave much of an impression on me.

Cachoo

I watched and enjoyed "The Hit Man" based on a true story, with liberties taken of course. The exterior of the film is something of a light hearted rom-com with a dark heart at it's center. Are there moral absolutes? Is truth objective? This is all presented in an entertaining film with two sexy stars. It is on Netflix.

LeafOnTheWind

I started watching The Hit Man and then turned it off part way through. It sounded interesting and then turned into tediously boring. I think they fell into the trap of sex sells because it would have been more entertaining without their sex scenes. They were more of an interruption to the narrative than an addition to the story. That annoyed me enough to quit the movie.

I switched over to A Man Called Otto because I hadn't gotten around to watching it yet. It's cute.

watchthis!!

Better Watch Out is a pretty decent horror movie, about a girl about to leave for college and doing one last babysitting stint. But the barely-teen she is babysitting has a crush on her and turns out doesn't deal well with rejection. The DVD extras were quite good about how the writer and director worked with the leading lady to make the movie better by hearing what she would do in her situation and strengthening both her character as well as the story. One comment was about Sigourney Weaver's character in Alien being an inspiration. Olivia DeJonge is the lead, some of you may have seen her play Priscilla Presley in the Elvis movie with Austin Butler. Levi Miller is the babysittee, he was in A Wrinkle In Time and played Peter Pan in Pan (2015). It's interesting to see a movie where the only adults present are in the very beginning and end. Otherwise, it's a young cast carrying this movie.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I saw Furiosa on the weekend. Very spectacular stunts. Went on too long. I was trying to work out who the actors (they were all Australian except ATJ) were throughout. ATJ could have at least attempted to do an Australian accent.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I saw Furiosa on the weekend. Very spectacular stunts. Went on too long. I was trying to work out who the actors (they were all Australian except ATJ) were throughout. ATJ could have at least attempted to do an Australian accent.
Charlize Theron didn't in Mad Max: Fury Road so that's probably why ATJ didn't either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information