Royalty thread #15: A New Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Adults have to do a lot of things they don't want to do. I doubt she'd have driven around to be papped without the nasty conspiracies and media pressure.
Going for a joyride is not necessary. She is recovering from major surgery. If she didn't want to go out, she didn't have to. Unless the Royal Family held a gun to her head (and if they did f*ck them), she didn't have to go out.

Tesla

Whippet Good
If she is well enough to go out for an appointment or even just a scenic drive with her mother in Windsor Great Park, that's her business. :slinkaway
My vote is for a scenic drive. And if that is what she wanted to do, good on her.

Winnipeg

I would think it was voluntary but on the other hand, the person in the car may not have been her. They both looked very serious.

skategal

Bunny mama
I read that Carole and Kate were on the way to pick up the kids from school but don’t know how true that is.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I thought they both looked mad/serious. They would pick up kids without security detail??
The security detail would be in a different car(s). So we don't know if they had one or not.

I thought the woman in the back seat could have been anyone with dark brown hair tbh. Not that I care. But if I were a conspiracy nut, I'd say that it wasn't Kate but a decoy of some sort.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
ITA. On top of his father and wife's health problems, he is dealing with an ongoing feud with his brother.
I doubt the feud is taking up much of his day. lol I had to chuckle at Camilla taking off because "she's so exhausted from caring for Charles' situation". She's done that for what? A little over a month? :rolleyes: Maybe she'd like to trade with me or with the millions of caretakers who have no help. I'd love it if I'd only been doing it for a month.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I doubt the feud is taking up much of his day. lol I had to chuckle at Camilla taking off because "she's so exhausted from caring for Charles' situation". She's done that for what? A little over a month? :rolleyes: Maybe she'd like to trade with me or with the millions of caretakers who have no help. I'd love it if I'd only been doing it for a month.
Much less that TRF can afford virtually unlimited world-class help with caretaking and other life issues including mental and emotional support.

taf2002

Much less that TRF can afford virtually unlimited world-class help with caretaking and other life issues including mental and emotional support.
Yes. I was passing DH's chair a few minutes ago & he reached out to hold my hand. I couldn't believe how much softer his hand is than mine. I wash my hands every time I handle anything of his that may have infection on it. As a result I constantly have to battle so-dry-they-hurt hands.

Vagabond

I doubt the feud is taking up much of his day.
Have you ever had a feud with a sibling who published all sorts of unflattering remarks that get discussed the world over, including in the other thread here on FSU, while you were expected to take the high road and keep silent?

I haven't, but I have dealt with a series of disputes with my brothers. It took up a big chunk of my day, every day, for twenty years. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in the Prince of Wales' position, but I suspect that it isn't very pleasant.

Last edited:

airgelaal

She is 76 years old. The fact that she does not complain about health problems does not mean that she does not have them at all. She spent 6 hours in the car to attend one of her events. I don’t think that just one!!! week of rest is an unaffordable luxury for her.

skategal

Bunny mama
I read that the Wales hired a new PR guy recently that used to work for NBC.

But whoever it is doesn’t seem to have a good handle on the PR recently.

Between the statement that William didn’t miss the memorial service because his friend died and now another to People magazine saying he’s focusing on work (really? when his spouse and dad are so sick?) it all seems to be hitting the wrong note.

QE2 seemed to run a much tighter ship.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

Between the statement that William didn’t miss the memorial service because his friend died and now another to People magazine saying he’s focusing on work (really? when his spouse and dad are so sick?) it all seems to be hitting the wrong note.

PR is incredibly culture-specific. An American (if that’s who it is) should never be doing PR for the Brit royal family.

All these years of working and living in Israel and I never do outreach to Israeli audiences. Completely different from American audiences even if I were completely fluent in Hebrew.

MLIS

Well, to be fair, the statement that he was focusing on work was in response to questions about speculation/conspiracy theories on social media about Kate, and they said he was focusing on his work, not social media. But I agree that the PR around this not been on point, and the pulling out of the service for King Constantine at the last minute was really weird.

skategal

Bunny mama
Well, to be fair, the statement that he was focusing on work was in response to questions about speculation/conspiracy theories on social media about Kate, and they said he was focusing on his work, not social media. But I agree that the PR around this not been on point, and the pulling out of the service for King Constantine at the last minute was really weird.
If it was me I would have said “William has a recuperating spouse, 3 kids, a father with cancer and a job. He has no time for social media rumours.”

In contrast, whoever is in charge of Charles and Camilla’s PR is doing a great job.

canbelto

I think it's because C&C seem transparent. We know why Charles is gone -- he is getting cancer treatments. Camilla is taking a break to go on vacation. They haven't divulged all the details, but they've given a forthright explanation for absences and changes.

Meanwhile, the Wales' have been very vague about everything. That's the PR misstep.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

If by recent you mean two years ago:

She did hire a new press secretary recently. And judging by his looks I can't wait to hear all the new conspiracy theories:

skategal

Bunny mama
If by recent you mean two years ago:

She did hire a new press secretary recently. And judging by his looks I can't wait to hear all the new conspiracy theories:
Hmmm interesting.

Maybe there is some conflict there among the team to how Kate’s illness should be handled leading to the PR issues.

The Wales seem to be in a personal crisis which often happens in families when the mom gets ill or needs surgery and recovery time. (And yes, I know they have help but they do still have the mental strain of it all.)

Hopefully it’s only that and nothing additional and the train will get back on track when she is stronger.

taf2002

Have you ever had a feud with a sibling who published all sorts of unflattering remarks that get discussed the world over, including in the other thread here on FSU, while you were expected to take the high road and keep silent?

I haven't, but I have dealt with a series of disputes with my brothers. It took up a big chunk of my day, every day, for twenty years. I can only imagine what it would be like to be in the Prince of Wales' position, but I suspect that it isn't very pleasant.
I didn't say William was wrong cutting Harry out of his life. I said I doubt the feud is taking up much of his day. That's not a diss. He probably doesn't give Harry a thought these days so in what way is the feud taking up ANY of his day? I think he has more important things to worry about. BTW with @MacMadame I wish people would leave Kate alone & quit speculating.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I didn't say William was wrong cutting Harry out of his life. I said I doubt the feud is taking up much of his day. That's not a diss. He probably doesn't give Harry a thought these days so in what way is the feud taking up ANY of his day? I think he has more important things to worry about.
As someone who comes from a family that feuds a lot and who had to cut my own father out of my life due to his abuse, I can say that when it was all happening, it did occupy a lot of many of my days. But not every day. And over time, it became even less frequent to the point that I now rarely think about it. Something has to happen to remind me. If it was occupying every day of my life, I would seek out therapy because that's not healthy.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
Having family members who have cut ties with each other, I doubt very much either William or Harry are thinking about each other for more than a few minutes, or maybe a little more if Charles is asking them to talk.

As a sister whose brother has chosen to not speak to me, I'm sad when I see messages from my other siblings or his children, but I'm not spending hours and hours a week on it.

It certainly never kept me from working.

Vagabond

Having family members who have cut ties with each other, I doubt very much either William or Harry are thinking about each other for more than a few minutes, or maybe a little more if Charles is asking them to talk.
I think it varies from person to person and that it depends on many things. If ties are completely cut off and the people in question are not in the public eye, there is likely to be less strain. But here, there is ongoing publicly visible friction, including the publication of a best-selling book and media articles. Things are not the same as they would be for two brothers living thousands of miles apart who kept everything private.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think it varies from person to person and that it depends on many things. If ties are completely cut off and the people in question are not in the public eye, there is likely to be less strain. But here, there is ongoing publicly visible friction, including the publication of a best-selling book and media articles. Things are not the same as they would be for two brothers living thousands of miles apart who kept everything private.
But there isn't a news story every day. And William is busy with duties and a recovering wife and 3 kids. He has plenty to occupy him besides thinking about his brother who lives in another country for hours every day.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I think we're speculating a lot here with little information other than our own experiences (raises hand as another person with a sibling issue).

It's possible that William is prioritizing his focus on his family and his duties.

It's also possible that new pressures - his wife's health, his father's health, increased duties because of their absence, that those things are compounding each other. It's also possible that when stressed - if he is - that the issues with Harry come back stronger in the context of all that's stressing him now, all he has no control over, all the ways he might be blaming himself, the responsibilities he perhaps feels as the older brother, and to his mother's memory (who at the time of her death might have thought that her sons were so close and would look out for each other no matter what for the rest of their lives - a parent can dream).

Remember also that he has information that none of us do - how Kate is recovering and potential long term affects on her abilities privately and publicly for example. His father's actual prognosis, which is potentially huge as it could move up the timeline for when he has to take on a lot more duties, and even become king himself. Can any of us possibly understand what that's like?

So maybe he doesn't think about Harry much, but maybe with everything else going on he misses him, wishes things had gone differently, could use his support, so maybe yes he's thinking about him more right now.

Vagabond

My original statement was to the effect that the Prince of Wales might be emotionally exhausted because the King and Princess of Wales' health problems followed on to ongoing feud between the brothers. While it may be otherwise, I don't see how anyone could say with any confidence that this is not so without being intimately acquainted with the prince.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
My original statement was to the effect that the Prince of Wales might be emotionally exhausted because the King and Princess of Wales' health problems followed on to ongoing feud between the brothers. While it may be otherwise, I don't see how anyone could say with any confidence that this is not so without being intimately acquainted with the prince.
What's the point of the speculation then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information