Youtuber Sk8FraSch

Milan

Hi! I'm not sure if this is an appropriate place to ask this question, but does anyone know what's happened to Sk8FraSch's channel on YT? They had a pretty significant store of performances on youtube but it's seemed to have disappeared overnight?! I hope this is only temporary.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I don't know 3axel went offline for quite a while and then came back. Hopefully they return. Nours do you know some inside information?

Milan

It's a huge loss. It gave me countless hours of joy and got me through some terrible times. I'm sorry to hear this, I hope it's not really true. But if it is true, then a huge thank you for their devotion to the sport and time for making precious memories available. I hope they are okay.

zigzig

While we're mourning the loss of skating vids I also miss a lot of the 90s national and regional competitions that TSL used to have. They weren't broadcasts but the ones from the local videographer for that event.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I have a lot of videographer coverage on my channel, with much more to come.

Oh wow. I didn't know tony used to be TonyWheeler on here. People changing their usernames always throws me off! You are doing great on that channel Tony. I been enjoying watching all the random competitions you are posting that I never caught live.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
It was my account.
I'm sorry to hear that your channel is gone forever, too. I wish to thank you especially for the Ice Dancing. I'm afraid that's happened to so many of us. I had several skating shows which included the 1994 Vail Skating Festival, several of the ImProv-Ice competitions, Fox Rock and Roll competitions, etc. There was one interview I had uploaded with Tara, Michelle, Todd and Elvis right before the 1998 Olympics. I received a copyright notice because of the music that was in the background. Needless to say, I was given a choice to have to take a copyright class or delete my channel. Instead of them muting the video, they gave me that choice. It wasn't worth it because I could have possibly received another copyright notice in the future, and I definitely wasn't going to take a 'copyright class'. When the music copyrights change to other companies like Warner Bros., it can present a problem. I'm just giving this warning because it can definitely happen.

So good luck with anyone that still has their YouTube channels. I've been considering uploading my videos to Dailymotion except I'm not sure about that, either.

Cherub721

YEAH!
My friend @Amantide has a lovely channel on BitChute. I believe archive.org is also more forgiving than YouTube. I hope those of you who want to, can see your way to getting things back up.

Simone411

My friend @Amantide has a lovely channel on BitChute. I believe archive.org is also more forgiving than YouTube. I hope those of you who want to, can see your way to getting things back up.

Thank you. Yes, I have talked to @Amantide about this. I forgot about BitChute, and she told me about them being more forgiving. This may be the route to go. So I will consider it.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I actually erased it all myself, see I don't need to upload these files given I have them and people's behavior, including many people from here I guess, throw me off. I have better thing to do :)

Farewell
Ah, I don't know exactly what happened. I was a subscriber but I never read comments or anything like that. I mostly watched through the app on TV. What a shame that people had to ruin such a beautiful thing. :(

Simone411

FYI another great site, Fsvids.net is going to be taken down next month. So be sure to save your favorite videos before they disappear forever.
I didn't know this either. I had an acct. once with them, but I decided to start working on and saving everything I had because I had taped/recorded on VHS tapes events dating back to 1992. That's when I got my first VCR, and I went crazy. I can't remember everything that I had transferred and uploaded to my laptop, but I have it all on an external hard drive. I had planned on uploading and transferring all the SOI shows I had on VHS tapes next. I think my friend, @paskatefan knows all about those tapes, and I had even made Todd, Michelle, Sasha and Mao Asada (love Mao Asada!) emoticons with a free editing program that I still use all the time to make my graphics for my website. lol!

I hope it's okay to mention because I do have her to thank when I had my YouTube channel. I had taped so much skating, and it was a good reference for me to use about each of the skaters' programs. I had contacted Paula from GS, and she does have the history of nearly every skating competition, show, event, etc. there could possibly be. I gave her the link to my YouTube channel, and she couldn't believe all of the shows, events, competitions that I had uploaded and that was only about one half of everything I had. So if anyone wants to see all the archives of history about FS competitions, shows, etc., give the GS archives a try.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Over the last few years, I've collected just about everything that had a valid link on FSVids. Of course, those aren't my own videos and I can't just post them freely on YouTube-- which is something that has been a recurring problem for those who take the time to make said videos.

But if anyone has any personal DVD collections they want to give up and send to me for sharing, let me know. The big collection I received (1000+) is what I've been steadily converting, cutting, and posting to YouTube over the last year. I've only gotten through about 25% of it, I think, and I'm already over 4,000 videos.

I'm all for keeping records of historical skating, and I've watched just about all of it (and written notes :lol:).

Simone411

Over the last few years, I've collected just about everything that had a valid link on FSVids. Of course, those aren't my own videos and I can't just post them freely on YouTube-- which is something that has been a recurring problem for those who take the time to make said videos.

But if anyone has any personal DVD collections they want to give up and send to me for sharing, let me know. The big collection I received (1000+) is what I've been steadily converting, cutting, and posting to YouTube over the last year. I've only gotten through about 25% of it, I think, and I'm already over 4,000 videos.

I'm all for keeping records of historical skating, and I've watched just about all of it (and written notes :lol:).
There's just one thing I'm worried about, Tony. All of my videos came off of VHS tapes that I had recorded over the years. I had uploaded around 450 plus videos when I got the warning from YouTube. All it took was one copyright notice, and I literally had to delete my account. I hope and pray that doesn't happen to you because I've enjoyed watching some of the videos on your channel. So good luck and best wishes to you.

Milan

It's an interesting perspective. Although I appreciate those who do spend the time to create the videos (and in fact I convert old footage myself), why wouldn't you be then be able to share freely? Even those who create the videos do not hold any legal rights over the content. For a sport that relies heavily on a (dwindling!) viewing audience, I think it's more critical to have videos accessible and as to as many people as possible without impediment which should override any personal sense of entitlement over captured footage.

Simone411

It's an interesting perspective. Although I appreciate those who do spend the time to create the videos (and in fact I convert old footage myself), why wouldn't you be then be able to share freely? Even those who create the videos do not hold any legal rights over the content. For a sport that relies heavily on a (dwindling!) viewing audience, I think it's more critical to have videos accessible and as to as many people as possible without impediment which should override any personal sense of entitlement over captured footage.
It's not necessarily the footage itself that is the problem. I had my YouTube channel close to 4 years before I received the copyright notice. YouTube's policy changed by then. It was around February or March of 2023 I believe when I received the copyright notice from YouTube. It was the first time I ever heard of a "copyright" school. The reason I got the notice was because of music that was playing in the background.

YouTube wasn't as strict when I first got my channel. YouTube had given me a notification that they had to mute the music in one of Yuka Sato's videos I made from the 1994 Vail Skating Festival. I was able to keep the video up with the music muted. What was so weird is that I didn't receive a notification when I uploaded Michelle Kwan's program to Aranjuez from the 2003 Worlds. At that time, I received so many posts from people excited about the fact that they could hear the music, Aranjuez, because they couldn't hear it in other people's channels that had uploaded Michelle's Program. I received around 35,000 views because of that. The music, Aranjuez, had been overlooked by YouTube.

So when I received the copyright notice from YouTube through email, I had assumed it was about Michelle Kwan's program to Aranjuez. It wasn't, however. It was a copyright notice about the interview. Not only did YouTube mute the music, they blocked the whole video and then gave me the choice of either taking the copyright class or deleting my account.

Now I've seen other people's channels where they uploaded Michelle's program to Aranjuez from 2003 Worlds and you can hear the music. In other words, YouTube overlooked it and those people are very lucky at the moment that YouTube didn't catch it.

Simone411

Y'all, I'm totally disappointed at the moment. I opened my external hard drive to see what all I did have on my YouTube channel. I'm making a correction here. It wasn't the 1994 Vail Skating Festival I had uploaded. It was the 1995 Vail Skating Festival. I had also uploaded the 1988 World Pro Championships which I had recorded when I had ESPN Classic. I continued to look and I also had other Pro Classic championships, etc. I won't lie about it. I was literally devastated when I had to delete my channel because I worked so hard with uploading and researching the shows, competitions, etc. I didn't realize how many competitions and shows I had until I looked in my external hard drive.

ETA that I did a search and found out it was in July of 2020 when I had to delete my channel. I also had the channel for 6 years before that happened. :(

Last edited:

Milan

Figure skating Youtube channels are inherently risky as the copyright and any moral rights (music, performers, etc) do not reside with the uploader unless they were licensed under original agreements (highly doubt it). Youtube's rules are also ever changing I'm sure so it's unstable at the best of times.

Sorry it was so distressing and moreso given how much effort you would have put in to it :(, but also thank you for making things available for as long as you did which I'm sure made many happy.

Last edited:

Skate Talker

I posted many video links on FSVids over the years. I agree with you that I do not have any legal rights over the content, nor do I want them. I used to add a note that the links themselves were mine, so if anyone wanted to share the videos they were of course free to do so as long as they re-uploaded the video and provided their own link whilst ensuring they did not associate me or FSVids with the new upload. (I didn't want anything coming back at me because I have no desire to experience copy right school, lol.)

I used to upload a lot of the videos I shared on FSVids to MediaFire but without any notice they wiped everything one day citing an infraction but no specifics. Strangely enough they didn't prevent me from immediately creating a new user account with the same email address.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information