Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Ha! Tim Koleto has gotten in on the "updated IG bio" act - don't anyone let your heads explode too much at him officially being an Olympic Silver Medalist.
listen if I was able to get a participation award that was a silver medal i'd put it on everything- business cards, tank tops, the side of my car everyone would know it

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
It's okay. He will stand higher on that podium than Roman Sadovsky but lower than Karen Chen. Some might say that that is all that really matters. 🤷‍♂️
I’ll cheer loudest for TIM KOLETO, ROMAN, and KAREN - the power of Teamwork! Hey, it’s an Olympic medal!

alexikeguchi

I think the difference here is that no one got ANY ceremony initially. This isn’t just redistribution of the medals. It’s the initial ceremony.

This and when the US team met with Bach he promised them a big ceremony. Hold him to it!

If this is carried out properly, the ceremony and experience will be even better than what it would have been in Beijing. Vincent wouldn't have been able to receive his medal in person since he was in quarantine, and there were no spectators and fans beyond the other athletes. In contrast, there will be huge crowds in Paris, and I think there will be an extra outpouring of support for this group of athletes given the controversy and publicity surrounding the case. I'm sure NBC will highlight the ceremony during primetime so that millions more can share the moment.

ballettmaus

If this is carried out properly, the ceremony and experience will be even better than what it would have been in Beijing. Vincent wouldn't have been able to receive his medal in person since he was in quarantine, and there were no spectators and fans beyond the other athletes. In contrast, there will be huge crowds in Paris, and I think there will be an extra outpouring of support for this group of athletes given the controversy and publicity surrounding the case. I'm sure NBC will highlight the ceremony during primetime so that millions more can share the moment.
I don't know how much the average person knows about that and how big the publicity is outside the US, Canada, Russia and Japan. The article that I found in a Berlin newspaper after scrolling way down was rather short and about half of it focused on Russia's reaction.

That said, regardless of how much the crowd would know, I think the athletes deserve to have a proper medal ceremony in front of an audience in Paris and to be properly celebrated as Olympic Champions.

Allskate

It would be even better if the Olympics in Paris allowed no Russian athletes, though. Having the ceremony at an event where some of them are allowed doesn't quite feel right. To me, anyway. Maybe others feel differently.
I don't think the Russians are going to show up. They are going to insist they were robbed, and they won't want to have the additional scrutiny and criticism. I don't think the Russian skaters themselves would enjoy it. I know Canadians are generally polite, but there's still a distinct risk that the crowd would boo or would start singing "Oh, Canada" when the Russian team was announced as bronze medalists.

ETA: In any event, according to Hirshland, the ceremony doesn't have to include all three of the medal teams. It sounds like a number of the Americans want it in Paris, and that way it wouldn't interfere with school for some of the team members.

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
Suspended or not, Kamila wasn't gonna continue competing anyways.
She has been competing in domestic events in Russia this season, but it's hard to know how much longer she would continue. The bigger point is that she will be banned from taking part in any state funded training, or shows.

xxibjt

The Times is reporting that Kamila was notified of the positive result on February 6th, and WADA states that she was diagnosed with athletic heart syndrome in 2020. Also, according to the Times article, "members of the CAS panel found Valieva "honest and trustworthy."
The arbitrators concluded, based on the evidence of both Valieva and the appellants, that she had not deliberately cheated.
Some members of the CAS panel felt that a four-year ban for such a young athlete was a "cruel and disproportionate" punishment."

I'm so confused because the information about Kamila knowing the result of the test during the Team Event is somewhat hard to believe. It's also strange how the article says the judges found Kamila 'honest and trustworthy' while not believing she took tmz unintentionally. Wada’s version is better than Kamila’s lawyer's statements about desserts from her grandpa. In case she had a heart condition, she could’ve asked for a therapeutic exemption and taken it with no problems.

Vagabond

Banned or not, I don't think Kamila wasn't gonna continue competing anyways.
Valieva has continued to compete at domestic competitions and was third in this season's Russian Nationals.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information