rfisher

Let the skating begin
but then Valieva was ineligible to be there in the first place.
But, they (the Russians, the IOC or ISU) didn't know that as she was clean after Europeans and the results from Nationals were not released until the Olympics has started. Otherwise, I'm quite sure, Anna or Sasha would have been in the team event and Kami would get a sudden illness and have gone home.

lexeoe

But, they (the Russians, the IOC or ISU) didn't know that as she was clean after Europeans and the results from Nationals were not released until the Olympics has started. Otherwise, I'm quite sure, Anna or Sasha would have been in the team event and Kami would get a sudden illness and have gone home.
they didn't know at that time but as soon as they found out, she was in all senses ineligible.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Until you move all the women up a spot, as they did with the individual event and Europeans. Then they are fourth.
But apparently TE events are weird. As I said, they had two years to determine what they intended to do.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
they didn't know at that time but as soon as they found out, she was in all senses ineligible.
And, that was the debate at the time and the IOC and ISU decided to let her compete since she was a minor. That's on them.

Even so, with the 2021 rules, they immediately tested her and all the Russians and all were clean at the competition. This is an update from the original 2015 rules.

On My Own

What I meant was if Russia had no one compete for ladies in the team event i.e. they had contested only three disciplines which seems to be what the ISU is going with here.

It does appear from the Christine Brennan post that the ISU's rules is that a team should be disqualified if a member is disqualified for doping.

They are making it up as they go along and I don't care what their reasons are its wrong.
I agree.

Jumping off this. It's still ridiculous to me that if, say, they'd competed Valieva in the SP, then swapped her for Trusova or Shcherbakova in the LP, they'd probably still have a "legitimate" gold overall after the SP getting zeroed out (or maybe silver, don't have the margins on hand).

Andrey aka Pushkin

Playing ping pong with balls of chocolate jam
And if we are going to follow the written rules then with the removal of Valieva's results Russia is 4th.
I agree with @PRlady second day in a row, that's not a healthy sign :scream:
TE is a bogus competition that should have been "a celebration of sport". It doesn't have proper specific rules, and there's nothing similar to it either. So it's not like the rules clearly state the women's result at TE should be bumped up. It would make more sense than just pretending nothing happened, yes, but the rules are not exactly clear on that.

That's why I'm :watch: over how ISU is going to explain it when an inevitable protest is filed by the Canadian federation.

And hopefully that will be end of the teams event.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Jumping off this. It's still ridiculous to me that if, say, they'd competed Valieva in the SP, then swapped her for Trusova or Shcherbakova in the LP, they'd probably still have a "legitimate" gold overall after the SP getting zeroed out (or maybe silver, don't have the margins on hand).
Unfortunately for them they were all in on Valieva and they should pay the price.

Hell they treated Shcherbakova like second-hand goods, even after she won gold.

thvu

Usova's Apprentice
Skate Canada's passive stance throughout this has been part of the problem IMO.

They should have publicly advocated for a strict adherence to the rules. They could have laid out their case for a Canada Team Bronze if/when Valieva was banned. Publicly stating so, especially through a logical following of the rules, would have put more pressure on the ISU to give them a favorable result. They could have forced the ISU to choose between public disagreement with a logical and sensical decision, or acquiescing to a popular and palatable position.

What we're seeing is a public lesson in how to cede the power of the pulpit, to forgo the pressure of public opinion. Skate Canada deserves better leadership. Ineffectual, weak, incompetent - are we missing any other adjectives to describe those running SC?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
TE is a bogus competition that should have been "a celebration of sport".

That's why I'm :watch: over how ISU is going to explain it when an inevitable protest is filed by the Canadian federation.

Hallelujah! FS Team events must end in the Olympics and everywhere else. Maybe that will be the great prize coming out of this.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
TE is a bogus competition that should have been "a celebration of sport". It doesn't have proper specific rules, and there's nothing similar to it either. So it's not like the rules clearly state the women's result at TE should be bumped up. It would make more sense than just pretending nothing happened, yes, but the rules are not exactly clear on that.

@PRlady's point seemed to be that they can do whatever they want to do. Which some actually think happens much too often.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Well, the IOC could give a tie for bronze which is what Canada would get with 1 point, but they apparently decided not to. The rules aren't explicit and other team event rules don't apply. But, they came to a decision a long time ago for whatever reason. And, I'm not sure they'd be required to make that reason public knowledge if they choose not to.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Well, the IOC could give a tie for bronze which is what Canada would get with 1 point, but they apparently decided not to. The rules aren't explicit and other team event rules don't apply. But, they came to a decision a long time ago for whatever reason. And, I'm not sure they'd be required to make that reason public knowledge if they choose not to.
They would get 2 points, not 1. Did you go to the ISU school of Mathematics?

manhn

Why isn’t tbe team completely dq’d? Didn’t they change the rules after the Marion Jones relay team ruling?

Bigbird

So, apparently Russia doesn't want anything. Talk about cutting off their noses to spite their faces. There is no way they come out of this with those gold medals still in their grasp. There is way too much precedent across multiple sports both winter & summer where a doping DQ of one athlete has resulted in the whole team being DQed.

Man, talk about incredibly dumb on their part. The ISU held out an olive branch here and the ROC just swatted it away. How do you even, for one second, consider letting them back into competition if this is the way they are going to behave?
One should never throw your pearls to pigs. They shouldn't have gotten bronze in the first place given these last two YEARS. Why this deity level worship of Russia in the face of evidence? Make it make sense.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
They would get 2 points, not 1. Did you go to the ISU school of Mathematics?
Well apparently the rules don't explicitly state what they'd do in the event of a team member being DQ'd so I don't think math is the issue here.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Why isn’t tbe team completely dq’d? Didn’t they change the rules after the Marion Jones relay team ruling?
There is a 2021 rule change that regarding the team event that says no they are not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information