Keeping Track of Criminal Cases & SafeSport Suspensions in Skating

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
They could WD, by saying it's far too much of a distraction so close to Nationals, and they could retire on the spot, by saying the mere accusation would poison the rest of their career until this was resolved -- which we know can take years -- and they will marry and get on with their lives while this plays out.

Colonel Green

After that very detailed and specific account? I wonder. Maybe if it had been a vague unofficial rumor, but this ...
I don’t think details will stop some people from rallying around him; they certainly didn’t stop some of Coughlin defenders. Anybody disposed to take his side out of friendship or whatever is unlikely to be deterred by details in a written accusation.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They could WD, by saying it's far too much of a distraction so close to Nationals, and they could retire on the spot, by saying the mere accusation would poison the rest of their career until this was resolved -- which we know can take years -- and they will marry and get on with their lives while this plays out.
Let's be real... How much of a distraction is this going to be? Skate Canada doesn't even have a TV broadcast contract for Nationals this season and they're not anywhere close to selling out the arena. The national media interest is minimal at best and international media (at least FS media) will be more interested in Euros next week.

Debbie S

I don’t think details will stop some people from rallying around him; they certainly didn’t stop some of Coughlin defenders. Anybody disposed to take his side out of friendship or whatever is unlikely to be deterred by details in a written accusation.
Yes, I agree with this. I doubt they will WD and I assume if/when the questions start at the media conferences, he will just a recite a prepared line that he has no comment on a pending investigation.

ice coverage

She is reporting what is in the file. Anyone could get the information she included in her article.

But are the OSIC files really available to anyone in the public? I do not think so.

It is not uncommon for resourceful journalists to get their hands on files that are not openly available to the public.

skategal

Bunny mama
Let's be real... How much of a distraction is this going to be? Skate Canada doesn't even have a TV broadcast contract for Nationals this season and they're not anywhere close to selling out the arena. The national media interest is minimal at best and international media (at least FS media) will be more interested in Euros next week.
The Social media impact will be a huge distraction to them going into Nationals.

Plus who is to say Laurence will even want to keep skating with him?

She might dump him or be too distraught to continue training.

Debbie S

The article says that the report was filed in July. It just happens to be hitting the news now (timed with CAN Nats?) but I'm sure the investigation is not news to either Nikolai or Laurence.

Whether they remain a couple off the ice is another story.

Karen-W

But are the OSIC files really available to anyone in the public? I do not think so.

It is not uncommon for resourceful journalists to get their hands on files that are not openly available to the public.
1) Surely there's a Canadian equivalent to the Freedom of Information Act that would enable Brennan (or any other member of the public) in obtaining those files.

2) It's the JOB of any decent, self-respecting journalist to obtain and disseminate information regardless of whether or not it is openly available to the public.

I'm really bothered that @ninjapirate feels compelled to attack the messenger (Brennan) or the content of the message. Brennan has quotes FROM the victim so I'd say the victim is okay with the level of detail shared in the article. I'd also venture a guess that the victim has consulted with legal counsel and made aware that she could be identified. The victim is now 30-something and capable of assessing the risks involved in speaking with Brennan for this report. Let's not infantilize her and try to silence her any further.

Last edited:

Rhumba d’Amour

I sort of disagree. Our society being what it is, we might have folks who would not normally attend the Championships turn out, just out of curiosity.

There might be demonstrations in support of the victim, too, which would be appropriate.

kates8

Based on how shaky he skated in GPF, he/they may have already been aware and distracted by this investigation.
As a parent who had children in skating, I am grateful for the victim to come forward even years later. Her statement was impactful and important “It hit me at that moment that mothers would likely be sending their daughters to train with him (as a coach) at some point after he retired from competitive skating, and I could not live with the guilt of knowing I never told any authority figures.”

skateblessing

The Social media impact will be a huge distraction to them going into Nationals.

It will also most likely impact the other teams at Nationals, at least in ID. Imagine having practice in the same group, warm up, skating before or after them, that must be distracting and upset them. The audience might react too. I´m sure every athlete will try to be professional but the atmosphere will be very tense.

The Fed would not only protect the victim by making them WD, but the others team as well, which I think should be their priority. I´m afraid they won´t do it themselves.

About Laurence yes, you would think she must be shocked and disgusted. But she might also have been aware of this case in advance and be warned and prepared about it, and told another story...

I believe the victim, what a horrible story :(

Last edited:

skategal

Bunny mama
It will also most likely impact the other teams at Nationals, at least in ID. Imagine having practice in the same group, warm up, skating before or after them, that must be distracting and upset them. The audience might react too. I´m sure every athlete will try to be professional but the atmosphere will be very tense.

The Fed would not only protect the victim by making them WD, but the others team as well, which I think should be their priorit. I´m afraid they won´t do it themselves.

About Laurence yes, you would think she must be shocked and disgusted. But she might also have been aware of this case in advance and be warned and prepared about it, and told another story...

I believe the victim, what a horrible story :(
Yes.

The last thing Skate Canada needs is a vigilante group showing up at Nationals.

The investigation needs to proceed and the safety of the other competitors need to be taken into account.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
And how many top level executives and politicians are really leaving their job/office to spend more time with their families?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
If this was filed in July, there was plenty of time for them to quietly pull out of the season to deal with it. Continuing to compete is a sign they thought it would not get out before Worlds in Montreal (and ITA it may account for his many mistakes this year.) I don’t want to speculate on whether Laurence thinks he’s innocent or forgives him for the sake of their personal and professional relationship.

This is awful.

ice coverage

She is reporting what is in the file. Anyone could get the information she included in her article.

... I'm really bothered that you feel compelled to attack the messenger (Brennan) or the content of the message.

What on earth are you talking about???

I did not attack anyone or anything -- in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

Karen-W

There is already at least one anonymous Xwitter account claiming she is also a victim and there are others.

I suppose it depends on how many come forward but this could get at least as bad as the Coughlin story, I suspect (though I do hope there is a better ending).

skategal

Bunny mama
If this was filed in July, there was plenty of time for them to quietly pull out of the season to deal with it. Continuing to compete is a sign they thought it would not get out before Worlds in Montreal (and ITA it may account for his many mistakes this year.) I don’t want to speculate on whether Laurence thinks he’s innocent or forgives him fir the sake of their personal and professional relationship.

This is awful.
It was filed July 22.

But we don’t know when Nik was informed he was under investigation and we don’t know when Laurence was told. Do they tell the partner or other team members at the same time as the person being investigated?

But yeah, I bet they didn’t think the victim would go public about it right now.

Trillian

The article says that the report was filed in July. It just happens to be hitting the news now (timed with CAN Nats?) but I'm sure the investigation is not news to either Nikolai or Laurence.

Whether they remain a couple off the ice is another story.

If people in his inner circle were aware, it’s not necessarily a given that any of them (including Laurence) had read the detailed report. Anyone who’s only heard his version of the story may very well be reevaluating in the face of the details presented in this article. There are a lot of different ways this could play out, but I don’t think we know anything for sure about his future with Laurence (competitive or otherwise) until they make a public statement.

I also would not take as a given that he has the full support of everyone at IAM (although again, we won’t know until we see how they respond). Giving the athletes a relatively safe and healthy training environment is a huge part of their brand. That may also be a factor in whatever happens in their future.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Based on how shaky he skated in GPF, he/they may have already been aware and distracted by this investigation.
As a parent who had children in skating, I am grateful for the victim to come forward even years later. Her statement was impactful and important “It hit me at that moment that mothers would likely be sending their daughters to train with him (as a coach) at some point after he retired from competitive skating, and I could not live with the guilt of knowing I never told any authority figures.”
I don't think this can be stressed enough. What an incredibly selfless thing to do, speak out to protect others. I just wish the best for the victim.

Karen-W

What on earth are you talking about???

I did not attack anyone or anything -- in any way, shape, or form.
Sorry. I didn't scroll back up and thought you were the OP. I'll edit my response to address that poster. 💐

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
As a parent who had children in skating, I am grateful for the victim to come forward even years later.

I get what you are saying, and I agree. But I also want to gently point out that everyone who cares about sport being safe and fair should be grateful, not just parents. You don't have to be a parent to think that these events are awful.

litenkyckling

especially when it's been pretty rumoured that himself and Laurence are going to coach at IAM O post retirement

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Does anyone know where to find the interview with Sorensen that's mentioned in the story?

On My Own

Here's a comment on reddit from someone I believe is an attorney (I recognize the handle from twitter): https://www.reddit.com/r/FigureSkat...?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

The statute of limitations was 5 years. Connecticut law was changed in 2019 to change the statute of limitations to 20 years, but that only applies to crimes committed on or after the change in the law or to crimes for which the statute of limitations had not already ran. (It violates the US Constitution's protections against ex post facto criminal prosecution to try to revive a criminal case for which the statute of limitations period had already expired by creating a new statute of limitations.) That means that this crime is barred by the statute of limitations.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Does anyone know where to find the interview with Sorensen that's mentioned in the story?

I think this is the one - published on July 21.

I admire the courage of the victim so much and I hope a thorough investigation will be conducted.

Barbara Manatee

Brennan has quotes FROM the victim so I'd say the victim is okay with the level of detail shared in the article. I'd also venture a guess that the victim has consulted with legal counsel and made aware that she could be identified. The victim is now 30-something and capable of assessing the risks involved in speaking with Brennan for this report.
The victim did not speak to Brennan - all of the information in the article is taken from the reports filed with OSIC and Safe Sport. I'm sure she knew the details could become public, but we can't assume she's okay that they have been.

She is a brave woman and I wish her all the support. I hope for everyone's sake that F-B/S will withdraw from training and competition immediately.

Vagabond

And how many top level executives and politicians are really leaving their job/office to spend more time with their families?
I dunno, but I am sure that many stay on in order to spend  less time with their families. :slinkaway

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information