Unpopular Opinions

Integrity

Here’s an unpopular opinion. I wish the Team Trainwreck thread was still around, so that I could see the posts there about Nicole Schott having had the skate of her life and qualifying to skate in the final group at Worlds.

FSU just isn’t the same without those folks.

I think you can still post in it, it was active a few months ago.

Xela M

Here’s an unpopular opinion. I wish the Team Trainwreck thread was still around, so that I could see the posts there about Nicole Schott having had the skate of her life and qualifying to skate in the final group at Worlds.

Ohh that thread was amazing! What happened to it?!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Long story, but basically, most of those involved migrated to a new board. But they're not very active over there -- I took a look at it yesterday and there wasn't that much posting going on.

clairecloutier

I would have loved to see Team Trainwreck's response to Camden Pulkinen winning a small medal at Worlds!! (I can't remember, but I think he might have been an official member of #ttw??) And, of course, to "La Schott" making the final group at Worlds. :D

Rhumba d’Amour

I would have loved to see Team Trainwreck's response to Camden Pulkinen winning a small medal at Worlds!! (I can't remember, but I think he might have been an official member of #ttw??) And, of course, to "La Schott" making the final group at Worlds. :D
OMG, you are right! I had forgotten that Camden was considered a member of the team at one time.

Say what you will, the Trainwreckers always were a good judge of talent. And Camden always had it!

Areski

What happened to that thread?!

Areski

I like Ted Barton’s commentary. It is informative and not distracting, and he is polite and respectful of the skaters’ efforts.
He's boring though, only serves cliches and always butchers names of skaters that are not from the Anglosphere.

Areski

Long story, but basically, most of those involved migrated to a new board. But they're not very active over there -- I took a look at it yesterday and there wasn't that much posting going on.
To which board did they move?

orbitz

He's boring though, only serves cliches and always butchers names of skaters that are not from the Anglosphere.
Ted only comment at the introduction of the skater and then at the end of the skater's routine, so it's easy for people to hit the mute button if they don't like to listen to him.

Barbara Manatee

Ted only comment at the introduction of the skater and then at the end of the skater's routine, so it's easy for people to hit the mute button if they don't like to listen to him.

He was good that way for the junior grand prix events, but during worlds Ted talked throughout the programs.

DreamSkates

He was good that way for the junior grand prix events, but during worlds Ted talked throughout the programs.
There should be a training school for figure skating commentators. It's not like watching basketball. Personally, I get into a program when I can hear each note and nuance of music along with each skating moment and every millisecond of the moment. Which is interrupted by anyone talking about anything.

sap5

There should be a training school for figure skating commentators. It's not like watching basketball. Personally, I get into a program when I can hear each note and nuance of music along with each skating moment and every millisecond of the moment. Which is interrupted by anyone talking about anything.
Part of the current training commentators receive is to talk during the programs.

firstflight

The worst, though, is when they say they’re going to let the audience just enjoy the performance (as in, this is so special, talking over it is going to take away from the enjoyment), but end up talking anyway. Usually after only like 30 seconds of silence.

Icetalavista

I don't mind Coldplay, and liked Shib Sibs' program to them.

I don't have strong feelings pro or con re Michael Buble and don't mind I Feel Good

I could listen to Don Quixote for every skater in a competition and not get sick of it. I rewatched the LP DQ versions by Slutskaya, Hughes, and Zagitova, and then looked at various ballerinas' takes on the variations in the DQ pas de deux and still didn't get tired of it.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I'm another one who doesn't mind Buble . He has a nice enough voice and pulls off that old crooner style very well. I also never minded Harry Connick Jr, nor Robbie Williams when he went for that 1940s style of music.

Beyond the Titanic song, which was played 24/7 in 1998, I never really had anything against Celine Dion either.

Coldplay, on the other hand, has always made me grit my teeth, even when skated to by skaters I liked.

I think Kaori Sakamoto's feminist LP is absolutely horrible and pure cringe from beginning to end.

Meanwhile her Matrix actually wasn't a bad program .

screech

I'm not a Coldplay fan, but I really enjoyed the Shibs first program to Coldplay. Then it just became same old.
Buble is alright. I did like that Yuma chose a different Buble song than everyone else does.
I want more people to do overly dramatic performances to strong female ballads. Like Bonnie Tyler's 'Total Eclipse of the Heart'. Or Celine's 'It's All Coming Back to me Now'.
But I'd take anything over Billie Eilish's mumbling

antmanb

I'm another one who doesn't mind Buble . He has a nice enough voice and pulls off that old crooner style very well. I also never minded Harry Connick Jr, nor Robbie Williams when he went for that 1940s style of music.
Me too, except Robbie Williams who I just dislike and a change in style never helps.

Beyond the Titanic song, which was played 24/7 in 1998, I never really had anything against Celine Dion either.
Me either, and i actually don't even mind the titanic song :shuffle:

Coldplay, on the other hand, has always made me grit my teeth, even when skated to by skaters I liked.
Yep I hate Coldplay.

I think Kaori Sakamoto's feminist LP is absolutely horrible and pure cringe from beginning to end.
Agree it was total cringe all the way through and she doesn't have a strong enough character on the ice to pull it off :shuffle:

Meanwhile her Matrix actually wasn't a bad program .
I love the Matrix music but again don't think she can pull it off :shuffle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information