2021 World Team Trophy Men SP & FS - Roman, Nam and Adam on the Road to Nebelhorn

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Hopefully with the conclusion of the mens competition you won't feel the need to post about Yuma again ...
I will FOREVER post about Yuma! He is my new “baby” in the run-up to Beijing 2022. Deal with it, honey. 😝

Kateri

void beast
To all of you whining incessantly about Simon, you can watch the sideshow (Tara and Johnny). That will make you appreciate Simon so much you won’t believe it.
Just because Simon isn't the height of shrieking annoyance doesn't give him a pass on his huge flaws. I've been listening to his commentary since 1998, and he's as clueless as ever. It's unbelievable how much he hasn't improved at all. He doesn't follow other competitions, or skating news - at least Johnny does that to an extent! It was more tolerable when he was paired with Chris or Nicky, but alone, he's as much use as a chocolate fireguard, and I can't believe he gets paid.

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work

Last edited:

Sally1214

Late to the party, but thoughts on the Men's FS ...

Well, the Canadian men certainly didn't melt the ice here. Nam threw his program out the window; and Roman, after a strong start, just steadily deteriorated. How long can Keegan keep skating anyway??

Daniel Grassl had a decent comeback from his SP. A few jump issues and I'm never sure these "costume change" situations ever add anything to the overall program. But, he wasn't too bad at all.

Adam Siao Him Fa also had a decent end to his season.

Shoma is such a quality skater. Gorgeous edges and flow. But, unfortunately, it seems his confidence in the jump department is hiding out in the parking lot. Shame. I'm not too sure Lambiel is the best coach for him. Sure hope Shoma gets his mojo back for next season.

Evgeni Semenenko was GREAT!! Alexei Mishin is going to have to keep coaching until he's 90 to see this kid reach his full potential!

My gosh, Mikhail Kolyada looks super fit!! A really good skate for him. Does Simon EVER pay attention to the program layout? That 2axel was PLANNED ... not a "huge mistake" ... he had already done two 3 axels.

Kevin Aymoz had an awesome start and then kind of got lost. But, when he brings the passion to the footwork at the end, I still love him.

Jason Brown ... :(:( On the bright side, he did land the 4 salchow ... or I hope he did. I haven't checked the protocols ...did he get credit for it?? I agree with everyone who hopes he gets better music for the FS next season. I don't think "Slaughter" gave him the opportunity to showcase his "best self" at all.

Yuzuru Hanyu: DARN THAT QUAD SALCHOW!!! Other than that, he was terrific. Is it just me ... or does it seem like Hanyu puts a huge amount of pressure on himself now? I don't get the feeling that he's really enjoying himself when he skates ... but what do I know. It's not like he has anything to prove...the man is already a legend. :love:

Nathan Chen: Oh, that was SWEET to watch. I really loved this musc & choreo for him. He just seems to have the perfect personality for this sport. He has ENORMOUS control over his nerves and just goes out and gets the job done.

So, that's the end for the men this year. Thanks, guys .... I really enjoyed it.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
WTF, Not-Mark? "Left the door just slightly ajar" for Chen?
He's horrible. Even Mr. Mac has been making fun of him when he comes out of his office to go to the kitchen and passes by me.

Jason not getting the levels is not something I'd have expected normally.

Please let him get better music next year.
That program is SO generic. I do like the purple shirt but the rest of it is very forgettable.

Hanyu melting down was unexpected though. I'm guessing all that 4X practice has ruined the timing on his other jumps. I doubt he minds though. He probably realizes how hard it will be to be a 3-time OGM and figures being a 2-time OGM and the first to land a 4X is more attainable.

As for Nathan, now he's improved so many things... time to work on his spins!

What's striking with Lambiel is that his skaters aren't just having technical issues, they're also less enjoyable to watch than before. Of course if the technical elements aren't working the performance can suffer, but it goes beyond that - most noticeably with Vasiljevs.

Is there anyone from that generation of skaters who's had much success coaching?
I actually think Uno has improved in the sense he seems more relaxed and enjoying skating more. Before he wen to Lambiel, it was painful to watch him because he was so clearly suffering IMO>

To all of you whining incessantly about Simon, you can watch the sideshow (Tara and Johnny). That will make you appreciate Simon so much you won’t believe it.
It absolutely will not. For one thing, Tara and Johnny do mostly know what they are talking about and also they (or at least their producers) prepare. Simon just blathers out of his butt and has no idea what things are called, how to pronounce people's names, or how the sport works.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Jason Brown ... :(:( On the bright side, he did land the 4 salchow ... or I hope he did. I haven't checked the protocols ...did he get credit for it?? I agree with everyone who hopes he gets better music for the FS next season. I don't think "Slaughter" gave him the opportunity to showcase his "best self" at all.
I blame David Wilson for being stuck in the 80’s. And the contrast with Rohene’s work just highlights the lack of fit there.

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
It was more tolerable when he was paired with Chris or Nicky
I disagree about Nicky. Simon and Nicky were the worst Eurosport combination as Nicky would say the weirdest things and he also had a clean boot fetish. It wouldn’t matter how a skater did if their boots weren’t clean.

Kateri

void beast
I disagree about Nicky. Simon and Nicky were the worst Eurosport combination as Nicky would say the weirdest things and he also had a clean boot fetish. It wouldn’t matter how a skater did if their boots weren’t clean.
I could live with it when they were commentating dance, as Nicky at least knew dance skills. Simon and Nicky trying to commentate singles was carnage.

jlai

Question everything
He's horrible. Even Mr. Mac has been making fun of him when he comes out of his office to go to the kitchen and passes by me.

That program is SO generic. I do like the purple shirt but the rest of it is very forgettable.

Hanyu melting down was unexpected though. I'm guessing all that 4X practice has ruined the timing on his other jumps. I doubt he minds though. He probably realizes how hard it will be to be a 3-time OGM and figures being a 2-time OGM and the first to land a 4X is more attainable.

As for Nathan, now he's improved so many things... time to work on his spins!
He didn't bother me; we've had Scott Hamilton commentating before hadn't we?

Brown's program is fine. I kinda like how he is doing somethibg different -- different for him.

Hanyu melting down...did you mean worlds? He did great here ( minus small mistakes)

Nathan's spins aren't bad. I don't remember him travelling and he wasn't struggling to keep a position was he?

jlai

Question everything
Ok, now that I have turned up the volume and not half asleep, I can hear more of his annoying comments. But he didn't talk over the program and had such a low deep voice, I was able to easily tune him out..

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Melting down? He popped his quad sow and doubled an intended triple. Not sure I'd classify that as a meltdown, especially given that every other skater also made mistakes.
He skated well under what he is capable of (and has done in the past) IMO. I thought the whole skate was lackluster and there were little problems here and there.

mtnskater

Such a fun event....so glad Japan was able to host and we got one more bonus skating event.

Highlights for me:

Roman Sadovsky! What a lovely skater. Lovely soaring flow and musical interpretatio. I’d watch him any day over Grassl and Semenenko, who scored higher. The ISU truly needs to continue to balance the quads with other skating elements and skills.

Kolyada! Do love the program like everyone else. Though he doesn’t have a typical taller male ballet dancer‘s body, his positions and lines sometimes give me all the artistic ballet feels. I often feel like he has a lack of facial expression. And I’m always nervous watching him because of inconsistency. But he has the best classic camel spin position of everyone.

Kevin Aymoz! Always so intense and committed to the performance. Unique moves. Totally captures my attention. Sometimes a bit wonky on technique. Great low extended free leg on the sit spin with a straight back!

Jason Brown! Always a highlight to see his SKATING! I could watch him a million times, stand up or fall. So much mastery of everything I love about skating. He needed the jumps to be clean to carry off this program. I like Rohene Ward better on him than David Wilson. Not enough creative transitions in this program and that is where he really stands out. His high leg catch foot spin never ceases to amaze me in its beauty and perfection of speed and centering.

Hanyu! I think I like him better this year than I ever have. He seems more controlled and less sloppy, loosey-goosey. Skating with a lot of conviction and bravado as always. I also like how he goes into elements with only attack...no hesitation. He has never been a favorite but I always enjoy his performances because he believes in them so much. Amazing quad loop.

Nathan Chen! The most amazing competitor ever. He is the total package and does everything so well. Incredible program even with changing the jump layout on the fly. Haven’t seen him put in two triple axels in the program for a long time. The last part of the program after the second triple axel was mind blowing. If he could skate that way all the way through he would be even more mind blowing than he already is. I just admire the heck out of him 🥰

Sylvia

TBD
The last 2 3 seasons he has been saving the Lutz for the bigger competitions. He doesn't do them in competitions with lower stakes.
Nathan Chen! The most amazing competitor ever. He is the total package and does everything so well. Incredible program even with changing the jump layout on the fly. Haven’t seen him put in two triple axels in the program for a long time.
As @jlai mentioned earlier, he decided not to do 4Lz in either program at WTT so that's why he included the second 3A in his FS. I just posted a link to his Rocketman EX in his fan thread - he started the program by landing the 4T+1Eu+3F combo that he popped (single flip) in his WTT FS. :D

Lacey

Not only do I love the way Nathan skates, I also love the way he thinks through his program and elements, always calculating how to change things to best entertain, well, the judges, but also the audience, live and on tv or on line, what an intelligent, artistic, thoughtful skater, IMHO the best ever!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information