2020/2021 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Beverley Smith's article based on G/P's pre-Worlds media call:

ETA:

For those who understand French, Marjorie Lajoie was interviewed on this radio program a few days ago:

Last edited:

screech

I was a bit underwhelmed with G/P in the SD - I found they looked slower than usual and a bit more cautious. Maybe it's because they're basically Canada's only hope for a medal so they're feeling the pressure? FB/S's twizzles are still my absolute favourite. Does anyone know anything about Nikolaj's citizenship status? I checked his Wikipedia to see if he'd gained it yet, but all it says is that he hoped to acquire it by 2020. I really hope he's able to get it in time for the Olympics!

In any case, best of luck to all 3 teams in the FD!

Colonel Green

I was a bit underwhelmed with G/P in the SD - I found they looked slower than usual and a bit more cautious.
Yeah, I thought the same.

There hasn't been any update on Nikolaj's citizenship recently. It's possible that YKW has delayed things.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Yeah, I thought the same.

There hasn't been any update on Nikolaj's citizenship recently. It's possible that YKW has delayed things.
Yeah, Nikolaj shouldn't have any issues with timing in normal times but YKW has slowed down a lot of things with a lot working from home. Having said that I am sure someone in Ottawa can give the right person a nudge to get it in time.

SkateFanBerlin

I don't know why people are so down on G/P. The judges prefer big movie-star types with as much action as possible. I find it a relief to see G/P more gentle "dance" quality. I think it takes no less skill. Happy they are at least in 4th. I'd love to see them over H/D, but they fight an uphill battle with the judging.

yurokis40

G&P gave a very good performance given the circumstances the americans and russians have the advantage of live competitions this year. The rd has never been g&p strong suit, Everything still to play in the FD they have the perfect spot skating second in the final flight , skate a blinder to the both sides now masterpiece free dance and put pressure on teams trying to win there first world title. C&B and S&K have had health and injuries this year remains to be seen if they have the stamina for a 4 minute free under pressure.

lexeoe

Nik's citizenship status is becoming a buzzer beater. I remember asking re: it twice before.

Rafter

I was a bit underwhelmed with G/P in the SD - I found they looked slower than usual and a bit more cautious. Maybe it's because they're basically Canada's only hope for a medal so they're feeling the pressure? FB/S's twizzles are still my absolute favourite. Does anyone know anything about Nikolaj's citizenship status? I checked his Wikipedia to see if he'd gained it yet, but all it says is that he hoped to acquire it by 2020. I really hope he's able to get it in time for the Olympics!

I thought G/P (and especially her) expression was subdued compared to how it normally is. I’m sure they were very nervous and skated a bit cautiously given it was their first time competing in over 14 months. Let’s face it, they have not had the opportunities to compete the same as the Russians and Americans.

One thing I noticed with their program is their pattern didn’t seem as big as other couples. I don’t know if it’s because they’re shorter or it’s a technique thing. In any case, it’s a great SD.

Also curious about Sorensen. No doubt he’d have it by now if it weren’t for you-know-what.

screech

I'm just hoping they don't fall into the seemingly normal situation of skaters expected to qualify getting Canadian citizenship right before the Olympics:

2010 Olympics - Kaitlyn Weaver gets her citizenship in 2009, W/P don't qualify
2014 Olympics - Piper Gilles gets her citizenship in 2013, G/P don't qualify
2018 Olympics - Lubov Ilyushechkina gets her citizenship in 2017, I/M don't qualify

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't have it yet. Since he's been living in Canada for a decade, I would have expected he'd have applied for it immediately after Denmark released them.

Jammers

I'm just hoping they don't fall into the seemingly normal situation of skaters expected to qualify getting Canadian citizenship right before the Olympics:

2018 Olympics - Lubov Ilyushechkina gets her citizenship in 2017, I/M don't qualify

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't have it yet. Since he's been living in Canada for a decade, I would have expected he'd have applied for it immediately after Denmark released

I'm honestly surprised he doesn't have it yet. Since he's been living in Canada for a decade, I would have expected he'd have applied for it immediately after Denmark released them.
Canada will probably qualify 3 spots for the Olympics as well as Worlds next year so i don't see how there will be 3 teams beating them for one of those spots next year the depth in Canadians Ice Dance is not that great after the top 3 teams.

Last edited:

puglover

I am so curious to see L/L's new free dance. I am especially curious to see how it will be received. From the few clips i have seen, Zach really goes for it.

honey

I also thought G/P were slightly subdued yesterday. They had expression, but much more restrained compared to previous outings of this program. I almost wondered if it was intentional. At the end they held their ending pose for a long time, with fairly neutral faces and then broke into wide smiles when they skated off the ice. It was a little strange.

puglover

I know there has been some monitoring going on but I would assume it is greatly reduced. With no real competitions to put their work in front of the judges for feedback, it must be extra challenging, especially in ice dancing. So far - all three have done programs used previously. A number of the top teams are repeating free dances. I wonder if that will help or hurt, or have no affect at all.

skatingguy

decently
Canada will probably qualify 3 spots for the Olympics as well as Worlds next year so i don't see how there will be 3 teams beating them for one of those spots next year the depth in Canadians Ice Dance is not that great after the top 3 teams.
Gilles/Poirier, Lajoie/Lagha, and Souccisse/Firus - now it's not likely that they would finish 4th at Canadian Nationals but this is how a curse works, so best not proclaim safe for the Olympics otherwise the Skating Gods will here you.

puglover

Dance is where I would love to have someone really knowledgeable about dance on the mic. I don't mind Paul, but I wish we had a Tracy or a Tanith.

screech

What a score for G/P! Piper's reaction in the K&C was so wonderful.
Also, if I had a fancy party to go to, I'd ask her if I can borrow her dress. So stunning!

SkateFanBerlin

I don't know why people are so down on G/P. The judges prefer big movie-star types with as much action as possible. I find it a relief to see G/P more gentle "dance" quality. I think it takes no less skill. Happy they are at least in 4th. I'd love to see them over H/D, but they fight an uphill battle with the judging.
Please not to believe my own bulls**t. Nearly the silver. Glad to see appreciation for G/P at last.

dramagrrl

Congrats to Piper and Paul on their bronze medal and second in the FD. I am still a bit sad that they were robbed of the moment this FD would have created if Worlds in Montreal had happened last year, but I'm sure they will take this moment with no regrets! :cheer:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
I’m excited they have already started their two new programs for the Olympic season but how will they top the last two amazing programs? They mentioned in the press conference their new programs, I believe they will have momentum as well

Rafter

Another thing is how they handled the pressure today considering having been off of competition for 14 months. Compared to H/B and C/B who both looked tight despite having had the opportunity to compete at SA and US Nationals.

I’m not sure of the ages of the Danadians but I wonder if they’ll stick around for a year or two post 2022. They seem to be getting stronger.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Another thing is how they handled the pressure today considering having been off of competition for 14 months. Compared to H/B and C/B who both looked tight despite having had the opportunity to compete at SA and US Nationals.

I’m not sure of the ages of the Danadians but I wonder if they’ll stick around for a year or two post 2022. They seem to be getting stronger.
Oh I love these two so much, have from the time they first teamed up, aside from Piper and Paul that was the only other FD today that gave me chills. She is such a star, just an amazing ice dancer who really feels and understands the music she skates to :swoon:

honey

Brenda Irving just said on the CBC broadcast that Sorensen received his citizenship last year? I feel like she might be mistaken. Seems like something he might have shared on social media if that was the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information