From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Mad for Skating

I wish this thread didn't always get so flat-out weird and that we could spend a pleasant time talking about the incredible quantity of talented Russian skaters, so many that it is almost overwhelming at times, in peace and quiet for just a little while. Wouldn't that be lovely? We are so lucky to have them, why not just enjoy it?

Exactly! I personally like having all these great Russian skaters around, even if I don't personally like all their programs or styles. I like to just enjoy the competition and not argue about who gets more hate, who gets robbed by the judges, who has better hair, etc.

barbarafan

Totally agree. Timami your issues with Medvedeva have started to cross the line. As we discovered on an earlier exchange over your take on Kostornaia, you don’t know these people personally. Which makes the trolling with purported inside information, whether good or bad, almost stalker like in nature. You have zero personal insight to Medvedeva or Zagitova or the rest of those girls. And if you do know them personally, you have massively broken a confidence. So. Just. Stop it. As this poster pointed out, you could be putting this girl in danger
Oh dear.....What has she done now? I put her on ignore a while ago but sometimes I break down as it is a subject I am following and read ignored comment. Sometimes it is a valid point but usually I kick myself for falling for it.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Can we please all ignore her?

Not me.

Sorry I don’t think anyone deserves this. We all have major disagreements with some posters. I have put some on ignore but to suggest that All should ignore her (I assume you meant Tinami?) is not nice. She has contributed useful information many times. We all have idiosyncrasies. We can tolerate some but not others. So it depends on your tolerance level for a particular person. When I can’t stand it, I use the ignore.

Occasionally there are trolls and they may deserve to be ignored by me, but some choose to read their posts. So I don’t think all should ignore them either.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So let's decide if Carolina Kostner is trolling Daniil:

"“That’s a great start in showing a difference in her skating,” Kostner said of the varied crossovers. “To not be just busy, busy, busy but to show gliding ability, holding positions, elegance and effortlessness by doing a simple thing like a crossover in amazingly different ways. I think it is starting to show.”

Sylvia

TBD
LOL, I was about to post "If you don't like the current discussion/posts, post something that YOU are interested in reading/discussing here."

PRLady's post (quote is from Hersh's Alysa Liu article published today, BTW) is not the topic I would have chosen, but YMMV. :D

Relevant excerpt from Hersh's article (ETA: link can be found in the U.S. Ladies thread):
So, at this point in her skating life, with a scoring system richly rewarding triple Axels and quads, Liu and Lipetsky continue to put great emphasis on jumps. They know it is necessary to keep up with the current and future young Russian jumping jacks being rolled off coach Eteri Tutberidze’s assembly in Moscow. Tutberidze coaches all four Russian women in the Grand Prix Final as well as Valieva and another Junior Grand Prix Final qualifier, Daria Usacheva.
“I have a lot of respect for Eteri and everything she has done to push this sport to the next level,” Lipetsky said. “I think it’s great because it challenges skaters to push the limits even further.
“You have to step up your game to be even better if you want to look at the number one prize, which is winning the Olympics.”

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!

"“That’s a great start in showing a difference in her skating,” Kostner said of the varied crossovers. “To not be just busy, busy, busy but to show gliding ability, holding positions, elegance and effortlessness by doing a simple thing like a crossover in amazingly different ways. I think it is starting to show.”
What is it with everyone throwing shade nowadays? Everyone should take a sip of Pina Kolyada and just STFU.

DreamSkates

Exactly! I personally like having all these great Russian skaters around, even if I don't personally like all their programs or styles. I like to just enjoy the competition and not argue about who gets more hate, who gets robbed by the judges, who has better hair, etc.
I have that poster on "ignore" but there is a "report" link and that can be used so that the moderators can review the posts in question and take care of anything that needs to change.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved

What is it with everyone throwing shade nowadays? Everyone should take a sip of Pina Kolyada and just STFU.

Most of the threads here would be much shorter in length if your opinion were to be followed.

Who do you consider is throwing shade - PRLady, Ms. Kostner...both?

Finally, the first part of your suggestion made me imagine that it was about Mikhail Kolyada and sipping on...well, decency prevents continuing my thought. :summer:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Most of the threads here would be much shorter in length if your opinion were to be followed.

Who do you consider is throwing shade - PRLady, Ms. Kostner...both?

Finally, the first part of your suggestion made me imagine that it was about Mikhail Kolyada and sipping on...well, decency prevents continuing my thought. :summer:

I meant Kostner. And by "Pina Kolyada" I meant that skaters should follow his example and not run amok on the internet or leaving nasty remarks all over the place, but just focus on their skating.

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
I meant Kostner. And by "Pina Kolyada" I meant that skaters should follow his example and not run amok on the internet or leaving nasty remarks all over the place, but just focus on their skating.

Of anyone skating today who exemplifies actual SKATING instead of jumping and rushing through programs, I thought her remarks were quite to the point, and it's a dirty shame that more people in what I think of now as jumping on ice don't see the value of what she is suggesting and design programs to feature that.

Tinami Amori

imo... no she is not, she said the above about Alysa Liu...... :p. Alysa Liu can out-jump and out-skate Kostner, by the way.... It's not trolling..... it's an old case of:
  • the grass was greener and the birds sang better in my old days.. :lol:
  • praising "hers" back in her days, over what wins Gold today.. ;)

Last edited:

skatingguy

decently
That was not an obvious conclusion from your original post, and I don't know how anyone would have drawn that conclusion based on a play on words using Mikhail's last name. Also, is Kolyada really the poster boy for that given how he skated last year? Maybe he would have been better off focusing on something other than his skating for periods of time.

Tinami Amori

PRLady's post (quote is from Hersh's Alysa Liu article published today, BTW) is not the topic I would have chosen, but YMMV. :D Relevant excerpt from Hersh's article:
So, at this point in her skating life, with a scoring system richly rewarding triple Axels and quads, Liu and Lipetsky continue to put great emphasis on jumps. They know it is necessary to keep up with the current and future young Russian jumping jacks being rolled off coach Eteri Tutberidze’s assembly in Moscow. Tutberidze coaches all four Russian women in the Grand Prix Final as well as Valieva and another Junior Grand Prix Final qualifier, Daria Usacheva.
“I have a lot of respect for Eteri and everything she has done to push this sport to the next level,” Lipetsky said. “I think it’s great because it challenges skaters to push the limits even further.
“You have to step up your game to be even better if you want to look at the number one prize, which is winning the Olympics.”

Lipetsky is not the only one. Here is one from Lambiel
Q: how do you rate the work of Eteri Tutberidze, the best?
SL: She is one of the best. I have a great deal of piety/reverence towards her. I had an opportunity to speak with her once, and i must congratulate her with all her results and the workings of her team.
Q: Did you speak with her today?
SL: No it was at Skate America. I know the amount of great effort it takes to create what her team does, but she is the leader of that team, yet i have to congratulate the whole team, and the great efforts her skaters put into their success.
Q: What was your impression after you talked, in Russia they say she is tough, but effective (produces results).
SL: Look, in Switzerland we're also tough, direct and effective. Those are important values, just as the discipline, enjoyment of the sport, team spirit and dedication to your work. And it is clear that this coach (E.T.) has a strong tendency to fully devote her self to her work, to developing (furthering) the sport of figure skating.

DreamSkates

Of anyone skating today who exemplifies actual SKATING instead of jumping and rushing through programs, I thought her remarks were quite to the point, and it's a dirty shame that more people in what I think of now as jumping on ice don't see the value of what she is suggesting and design programs to feature that.
Yet again, ISU needs to do more serious work with judges and scores and program components that reflect the skills that make FS more than a jump fest.

Tinami Amori

Sasha Trusova (On Olympictalk) sends a message to Emilia Clarke (actress in "Game of Thrones) she wants to speak with and to meet her.

Evgeniy Pluchenko is showing "his mistress" on a magazine cover to his son Sasha. Sasha immediately names her name.. :lol:

Ilya Avebuch's full show "15 years of success", on Channel #1 TV, 1 hr. 58 min.

Sasha Trusova's number.

Alexei Yagudin's number.

Katya Gordeeva and Arseniy Fedotov number.

Navka/Kostomarov..

Petrova/Tukhonov...

Sin/Kats..

Adelina Sotnikova..

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Speaking of Shulepov... he wins the worst costume ever award.
:D I think his wife, Aleona Leonova "wins" this... She is the well known "creative costume designer" in the family.... :lol:

I thought people liked it how she is "wild and crazy"... :rofl:

The costume is odd, design wise, not "subject wise", and not well proportioned, but those who think it is "half-nazi" are not correct.

The upper half is Oskar Schindler. He wore this type of suit with a tie and so did the actor Neeson.

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
:D I think his wife, Aleona Leonova "wins" this... She is the well known "creative costume designer" in the family.... :lol:

I thought people liked it how she is "wild and crazy"... :rofl:

The costume is odd, design wise, not "subject wise", and not well proportioned, but those who think it is "half-nazi" are not correct.

The upper half is Oskar Schindler. He wore this type of suit with a tie and so did the actor Neesen.
It is still...very inappropriate. Having grown up and lived almost all of my life in Germany, I find this offensive. He could've just gone for the Schindler costume, but the half of him portraying a Jewish person who had to suffer in a concentration camp really is too much.

CaliSteve

starrynight

This article made the front page of the Australian online edition of the Guardian. Last time skating made the front page of an Australian media publication, it was the untrue story that Mariah Bell stabbed someone with her skate. Good times for skating media exposure.

Last edited:

starrynight

STUNNING video of Elena Radionova and Elizaveta Tuktamysheva skating together as Anna and Elsa from Frozen.

That costume is beautiful on Liza. It would do very nicely as a competition dress perhaps.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
This article made the front page of the Australian edition of the Guardian. Last time skating made the front page of an Australian media publication, it was the untrue story that Mariah Bell stabbed someone with her skate. Good times for skating media exposure.

I have a lot of Jewish and Israeli followers thanks to my last job, so I tweeted links to Jason’s and Satoko’s programs to try to show that Schindler can be skated to with beauty and sensitivity. But it’s still an own goal by the ISU.

Dobre

post something that YOU are interested in reading/discussing here."

As far as I can recall, Ushakova & Nekrasov have their international debut for this season the day after tomorrow at Golden Spin. (I don't know if the juniors will be on the livestream, but I shall be missing the junior RD either way because I must work:wuzrobbed).

RoseRed

So U/N only ended up skating one Russian Cup event, from what I saw, and thus did not qualify not junior nationals. Is there a chance of them getting added by the coaches council, do we think? Or do they have no shot at JW?

Marco

Kostner is right on. Her 2012 Worlds-winning free skate exemplified it. May I know which skater she was referring to when she made this comment?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Kostner is right on. Her 2012 Worlds-winning free skate exemplified it. May I know which skater she was referring to when she made this comment?

Alyssa Liu, whom she’s helping. Sylvia posted the link above.

feraina

It’s hardly only Daniil. Not only was Caro talking about Alysa, but when I saw Medvedeva’s SP this season I thought to myself, hmm I can still see hints of that busy, flailing, shallow edges thing she used to do under Eteri. I thought she got over it under Orser/Wilson but I must have had rose tinted glasses on because she’s still doing it (though better than prior to her move). Then I remembered Aberbukh choreographed this piece and it explained everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information