shutterbug

2019 Victoria Day Super Series
May 17 - 19/19
Fleetwood Arena, Surrey BC
Website: https://www.skatinginbc.com/events/2019-victoria-day-super-series
Announcement
Competition Schedule

Competitor List

The competitor list is a bit tough to sort through since it's in alphabetical order, but some of the senior competitors are:

Women
Emily Bausback
Emma Bulawaka
Olivia Gran
Sarah Tamura
Rika Hongo (She's training in BC?

Men
Beres Clements
Aleksa Rakic
Adonis Wong

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Rika Hong is listed for SP only. Also listed in Senior Ladies is Rinka Watanabe, 4th in JPN Junior Ladies/18th at Senior Nationals last December who, like Hongo, is based in Burnaby with Megumi Seki (he works with Joanne McLeod, Neil Wilson, etc.).

Novice champ Wesley Chiu (also won Bavarian Open Adv. Novice gold) is listed in Junior Men and USA's Liam Kapeikis for Junior Men SP.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I found information about the 2019 North American Cup (new name) series of competitions for U.S. and Canadian novice level skaters here: https://skateontario.org/2019-20-skate-ontario-athlete-development-opportunities/

Skate Canada Selection Process and Guidelines for the 2019 North American Cup: https://skateontario.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Selection-Process-2019-NAC-FINAL.pdf

North American Cup is a series of Novice level competitions organized by Skate Canada and US Figure Skating. Participants are selected by their respective member skating federations.

The 2019 North American Cup competitions will take place in the following locations:

• Milwaukee, WI – July 9 to 11 (Singles only)
• Lake Placid, NY – July 30 to Aug 2 (Ice Dance only)
• [Wild Rose] Edmonton, AB – August 2 to 4 (Singles and Pairs)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Skate Ontario 2019-2020 Competition Schedule

Sectional Series #1 (Minto Summer Skate?)
July 25 - 28/19
Arena TBD, Ottawa, ON

For the first of the Sectional Series events the website still says "host club TBD". This has been the Minto Summer Skate for many years (and I have volunteered at quite a few of them) and it was one of the club's main fundraising events of the year. Due to it becoming one of the largest Canadian competitions in the last couple of years, it had to move out of the Minto complex and into a larger facility with more ice surfaces. It also moved from the first weekend in August (a long weekend here) to the last weekend in July, partly to try to get more volunteers. I understand that last year, despite the Minto club doing a lot of the on-site work and most of the advance arrangements, there was an increased expectation of passing $$ on to Skate Ontario. I wonder if this is part of the reason for the "TBD" status.

shutterbug

2019 Victoria Day Super Series
May 17 - 19/19
Fleetwood Arena, Surrey BC
Website: https://www.skatinginbc.com/events/2019-victoria-day-super-series

Competitor list by group So much easier to read! :cheer2:

I found information about the 2019 North American Cup (new name) series of competitions for U.S. and Canadian novice level skaters here: https://skateontario.org/2019-20-skate-ontario-athlete-development-opportunities/
Thanks for finding this info @Sylvia. I came across a mention of the competition here, and had been hunting on the ISU website as it was referred to as an "international" event. Which technically it is I guess. :lol: I'm so pleased TPTB decided to revive the North American series. I recall attending a competition in the original series and watching a very young Deanna Stellato compete as a singles skater. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for finding this info @Sylvia. I came across a mention of the competition here, and had been hunting on the ISU website as it was referred to as an "international" event. Which technically it is I guess. :lol:
You're welcome. North American Cup is not affiliated with the ISU (I'm told this was a reason why "Cup" is being used this year).
I'm so pleased TPTB decided to revive the North American series.
Last year was the revival year: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...can-series-for-usa-can-novice-skaters.103956/

Last edited:

manhn

Hmmm, I live 12 minutes from the Fleetwood Arena. I may check it out Friday night.

shutterbug

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Women SP warm up now (list includes Watanabe JPN, Gran, Bulawka, Tamura, Hongo JPN).

shutterbug

Wild Rose Invitational
Aug. 2 - 5/19
Leduc Recreation Centre, Leduc, AB
Website https://albertafigureskatingfoundation.ca/?page_id=1010
Announcement

A few random comments about the Victoria Day competition events I was able to catch yesterday - in the junior women I very much enjoyed Yuhsun Lin. No triples jumps sadly, but gorgeous arms and lovely spins. In the junior men, Liam Kapeikis caught my eye. Where has this young man been hiding? Nice musicality, and a big, strong 2A that looks like it could progress easily to a 3A. In senior women, I was a bit disappointed to see Olivia Gran's speed and attack has not improved since Canadians. :( A pity, since she's a striking presence on the ice and has a lot of natural charisma. Hopefully it will come as she matures. Good to see her going for the the 3lutz though. Emma Bulawka's SP choreograpy is very well done. I'll be interested to see it again later in the season when she's put some more miles on it.

Sylvia

TBD
A few random comments about the Victoria Day competition events I was able to catch yesterday - in the junior women I very much enjoyed Yuhsun Lin. No triples jumps sadly, but gorgeous arms and lovely spins. In the junior men, Liam Kapeikis caught my eye. Where has this young man been hiding? Nice musicality, and a big, strong 2A that looks like it could progress easily to a 3A.
In Washington state (Wenatchee FSC). :D He placed fifth in Novice Men at 2019 U.S. Nationals and is listed in USFS' current ISP. ETA: Kapeikis skated to a male vocal/cover of "Never Enough" and landed 3F+2T, 3Lo, 2A high and 2nd place. He's not skating his FS here.

I heard "Stargazing" (by Kygo and Justin Jesso) twice last night - by 2019 Novice champ Wesley Chiu, who placed 3rd in Junior SP, and by 2019 Junior champ Aleksa Rakic, 1st in Senior SP.
2019 Junior men's medalist Berens Clements skated to a jazzy "Puttin' on the Ritz" and was 2nd in Senior SP.

I thought Sarah Tamura seemed more expressive in skating to a female vocal in French.
Japan's Rinka Watanabe skated to a moody female vocal, landing 3Lz+3T<(2ft?), 2A & high 3Lo, for 1st in Senior SP.
Olivia Gran kept her 2018-19 SP music of "Once Upon A Dream" (From Maleficent) followed by "Danse Macabre" by Saint-Saens.
Rika Hongo also skated her last season's SP music to "Battle Without Honor Or Humanity" by Tomoyasu Hotei.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Belatedly, here is the program music I was able to identify in the FS events I watched:

Senior Women:
Rinka Watanabe (JPN): Stars Wars film music (eta: first part is "Jyn Erso & Hope Suite" by Michael Giacchino from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story)
Emily Bausback: Titanic OST, "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion
Emma Bulawka: "Where's My Love" by SYML
Olivia Gran: "Genesis" by Ruelle

Senior man Adonis Wong (HKG): jazzy medley that included "Mack the Knife" and "Puttin' on the Ritz"

Junior FS:
Wesley Chiu: Music from Casablanca
Daria Carr: "Mon cœur s'ouvre à ta voix" and "Bacchanale" from Samson and Delilah by Saint Saens
Melody Zhu: jazzy medley incl. "Moon River" (female vocal) and "'S Wonderful" (instrumental version)

Last edited:

euterpe

Will we have a US Summer Competitions thread? With the new qualifying rules, many of those competitions could be important.

BTW, the first competition (Ice Fest) starts on May 30, there are 3 more the following week, and 6 more in June.

Sylvia

TBD
Will we have a US Summer Competitions thread?
Yes, I plan to start one in the near future (not yet sure if the new NQS comps will have useful info, like competitor lists and event schedules, published online for the public ahead of time due to USFS requiring NQS registration through their Event Management System).

Last edited:

shutterbug

barbarafan

Quebec summer skate list was updated today:

A new senior pair team - Isabella Gamez and David-Alexandre Paradis - representing Philippines?
Quebec summer skate list was updated today:

A new senior pair team - Isabella Gamez and David-Alexandre Paradis - representing Philippines?
no senior dance teams registered yet,

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information