Maribel Vinson: Reporter for the NY Times!

barbk

Absolutely fascinating story about Maribel Vincon's career as a NY Times sportswriter while she was also a competitive figure skater. This is a great read: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/21/...mesinsider&region=c-column-bottom-span-region

"Vinson was already a magna cum laude Radcliffe graduate and a bronze medalist when she reported to work at The Times in 1934 at age 22. The Times was a different place then, a nearly all-male preserve. Women were still decorously referred to as “Miss” or “Mrs.,” even in sports headlines.

There had been female reporters at the paper before, starting with Sara Jane Clarke, who wrote as Grace Greenwood in the 1850s. But their numbers were “pathetically meager,” wrote Nan Robertson in her book “The Girls in the Balcony.” And none of them had ever written for sports.

The sports editor at the time was Bernard William St. Denis Thomson, known in the office as the Colonel. (Gay Talese revealed in “The Kingdom and the Power” that he had actually been an army captain, not a colonel, and served in World War I as a trainer of pack animals.) Regardless of his rank, he was fond of barking orders to his underlings, military style.

He had hired Vinson “hesitantly and after considerable soul-searching,” the Times columnist Arthur Daley wrote years later. “He regretted it the very first day” when he realized that he would not be able to swear as much.

Years later, though, Vinson recalled of her colleagues, “They soon found out I could outdrink them,” according to one of her skating students, Frank Carroll (who would later coach some of the world’s most renowned skaters).

Vinson was not just some celebrity author who swanned in to dash off a few skating articles. She plunged right into the daily grind of a real sportswriter. She amassed 189 bylines in her first 12 months, and covered track, tennis, swimming, lacrosse and horse shows."

... (much more)

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
I loved this article when I saw it yesterday,:love: thanks for posting .

I am so impressed by Maribel Vinson, this was a full time job reporting on other sports, *while* she was competing! :respec: also Frank Carroll reminisces on being coached by her....

And seeing the photo of Maribel and her two daughters in their skating costumes, a reminder of what a tragedy the 61 crash was:wuzrobbed

Last edited:

bardtoob

On Feb. 2, her byline appeared again, over a story about the women’s ski team. On the 13th, she finished fifth in her third Olympics. She also placed fifth in the pairs competition alongside George Hill.

What!?! She had a byline for women's skiing in the NYT AND placed 5th in Singles AND placed 5th in Pairs at her last Olympics!

Last edited:

skatesindreams

MVO was a remarkable person, in every sense.
I recommend many of the excellent articles about her/and family.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Yes, this is revealing news for many people who didn't know about it. Personally, I already knew this about Maribel Vinson Owen. I came across this interesting fact about her a long time ago, and I've mentioned it on FSU previously in past threads. It's just something that has rarely been prominently featured in mainstream news, so I'm glad that the NY Times has focused on it. Maybe their recent rediscovery of this knowledge is partly the result of my pushing for those who cover figure skating to please make more connections with skating's rich history in how they talk about the sport. And it's timely too with the ladies fp at the Olympics coming up this evening. It also serves to highlight the vast accomplishments women have been making in many fields, which for the most part have generally been forgotten or unheralded to the degree we often hear about the accomplishments of historic male figures.

Maribel Vinson Owen is a very important role model who died before her time. The entire sport, not just U.S. figure skating, lost so much with her death and the deaths of everyone on that doomed flight. The losses were so profound and gut-wrenching that the skating community still has yet to fully understand and come to grips with the utter significance and global impact. Look further at all Vinson Owen accomplished in her relatively short lifetime, and imagine all that she could have contributed to skating going forward. Having been one of her pupils, I'm certain that's why Frank Carroll has such reverence for her and carries a memento and thinks of her in important moments as he guides his own students at rink side. As Frank has tried to carry on Vinson Owen's coaching legacy, I think he has also always been very modest about what he himself has achieved as a coach. Frank probably gives his legendary teacher all the credit.

Perhaps the NY Times decided to look back into their skating archives and they suddenly realized a former U.S. champion skater was their first female sportswriter. Imagine that. :drama: This demonstrates how history is easily forgotten, and how much we need to have proper respect for the past. We should remain cognizant of the fact there's a great deal we don't know, and always so much to discover and to rediscover. We'd be amazed at all the fascinating information and connections about skating history and global culture that have yet to be widely disseminated. Go take a look at @N_Halifax's Skateguard blog for starters!

I'm thankful for the lovely tribute to Maribel Vinson Owen, written by Victor Mather, with quotes by Frank Carroll. We should read, reflect and pursue further research. In the article, there are a number of important references to books written by Vinson Owen and to books written about past editors and reporters at the NY Times. We can clearly see even in this brief bio feature Vinson Owen's astounding intellect and the amazing person she was. I have one of her books about figure skating, which remains such an instructive, informative, and delightful reference. Her books helped popularize the sport of figure skating in the United States during a time when there was no Internet and no variety of electronic entertainment and no 24/7 news cycle and no glut of information (much of it trivial) saturating the world.

aftershocks

Banned Member
What!?! She had a byline for women's skiing in the NYT AND placed 5th in Singles AND placed 5th in Pairs at her last Olympics!

Right @bardtoob. :eek: :swoon: :inavoid: I knew about Vinson Owen achieving remarkable feats, and having formerly been a sportswriter for the NY Times (because it's been mentioned in some historic skating videos and bio features), but I didn't know all the details. I'm sure that Mather is only touching the tip of the iceberg too in his tribute. We need to bow down to the amazing person Vinson Owen was. :cheer:

I also think it demonstrates that there were quite a number of remarkable men and women who lived during the twentieth-century and achieved great things in such a matter-of-fact, 'let's get on with it' way. Indeed, so many people born during the nineteen teens, twenties and thirties were truly 'the greatest generation'! They epitomized and exemplified the characteristics of working hard, putting nose-to-the-grindstone, displaying common sense, taking nothing for granted, dealing with difficult times head on with no complaints, taking care of their families and giving thanks to the Lord for blessings bestowed.

Apparently, it was all in a day's work for Vinson Owen to superbly complete her day job while training to perform at a high level at the Olympics! :respec: And she wasn't looking for notoriety or sponsor contract riches at the end of her striving either. Amateur athletes were paid nothing back then, and working women were paid less than peanuts. Let's keep that in mind too! Another woman athlete pioneer whose feats and sacrifices should obviously never be forgotten is Billie Jean King. Ms King practically singlehandedly built women's tennis into a big time, well-recognized sport, all the while demanding respect for women's worthy achievements in all sports and in all endeavors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information