Project Runway 2017

susan6

Nah, they just stressed that only three are guaranteed but they typically take four.

I'm also hoping for an Ayana win. Brandon shows the same features nearly every week and I don't love the bland colors he chose for his collection. I also really like the vibrance of Margarita's collection (which really stands out against the other three) but I don't think she's in the running.

I agree, I think it was the bright colors in Margarita's collection that probably put her more in the running compared to Kenya. I don't know what some of the others are thinking. Brandon picked the ugliest, most ridiculous print to feature in every piece. Ayana's prints look like wallpaper or upholstery. I'm glad she listened to Tim about what two pieces to show....the two dresses she was originally going to use were both sort of ruffle-y, sister-wifey, and ugly prints. I've been impressed at her ability during the competition to make modest clothing that is NOT too matronly looking, but her final collection (from what I can see of it so far) seems to be a bit...fussy. I'm kind of hoping Kentaro brings it, quite frankly. But the fact that I can't remember much of his collection is not a good sign.

Susan1

My mother, who died last year at 92, had 2 furs - a mink jacket and a mink stole. Fur is so unpopular that I cannot even give them away. I wonder if a regional theatre company would even take them as a donation.

My grandma had a fox collar/wrap when I was really little. The fox "mouth" grabbed the tail to close it. I KNOW it wasn't a real fox head. She was absolutely not rich, so I'm hoping there was fake fox in the 60's, right!!!???? :eek:

Susan1

It may have dated from much earlier; and been genuine.

Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't new then! I think I meant did they even used to have fake fur? I don't know how I meant. Would a widow with 6 kids in a small Ohio town have had a real fox collar in the 20-40's? And still wear it to church when I remember it. There's nobody left to ask. I was so small, I remember my dad holding me while I was petting the fox collar! I remember when my grandma died in 1974 wondering what happened to it. (My aunt probably snuck it out of the apartment like she did some other stuff. ha ha) It could have been really, really old and real too though. My grandma could have inherited it.

Waaaay OT!...........

p.s. - don't give me time to think! I'm sure it had to be real (not the face). I don't know why I equate real fur with being rich back then. It's not like they were able to wear something made with polyester or something! Way, way back, they killed their own fur hats and collars (like in Little House on the Prairie). yeesh

I bet they told me it wasn't real so I wouldn't get upset! I'm going to go watch an ER rerun now. We're getting close to the one where Dr. Greene dies. I'll have to buy a whole new box of tissues first!!! Way more OT!!!!!

p.s. 2 I think I'm going to be sick!..........
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fabulous-Vintage-1930s-Complete-Red-Fox-Fur-Stole-/253254418124

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I got to watch this one when it aired with the friend I stayed with. She loved Brandon's looks and I wouldn't wear flamingos with a gun to my head. I liked Kentaro's peach look and Ayana's pantsuit and that's about it.

madm

Well, I'm pretty sure it wasn't new then! I think I meant did they even used to have fake fur? I don't know how I meant. Would a widow with 6 kids in a small Ohio town have had a real fox collar in the 20-40's?

Of course the entire fox was real. I just donated a lot of my deceased mom's furs to a charity thrift store because they are worth practically nothing now (she was age 104). They are dried out and brittle and yellowed from age. I took one to a furrier to see if it was salvageable, and he said it was only worth $50 at most and was too dried out to remake into something else. One of the items I gave away was a red-brown fox stole made from 3-4 foxes. It was previously owned by my grandmother in the early 1900s, and she was not wealthy at all, in fact they struggled to make ends meet with 10 kids. Fox is not a very expensive fur. Mink and chinchilla are.

floridaice

am I the only one watching? Kentaro blew me away, and Ayana too. Such a different perspective. Loved the different sized models. I liked Margarita's too, just too casual compared to the others. Brandon's, not so much.

viennese

wrecked
I'm watching! Kentaro's was stunning. Some of Margarita's beachwear was fun and (bonus!) bright and colorful. I couldn't tell if she used beads or stones or sequins. Maybe too much glitter.

I was betting on Ayana to pull of a great collection, but several pieces were made of a shiny metallic silver fabric that looked clingy and unflattering as the models walked. The first look was kind of clingy, too. Yet much of her collection was flowing and really pretty.

viennese

wrecked
Brandon's collection was: pure Brandon. He didn't do anything he hasn't shown before. The only one of the four who went in a new direction, I'd say, is Kentaro. It all looked like his work, but there were new textures and lengths and colors (for him)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Whoa... didn't see that coming. Well, I did but I misread some of Kentaro's signals. Bunim-Murray basically told us that Brandon wouldn't win with all the "I came to win" foreshadowing. The clips of Kentaro, otoh, alternated winner with first loser. Again, they only showed a frame or two of his best ones in the workroom and it took Margarita to fix his lineup issues. Still, the guy has a flair.

skatesindreams

I'm glad that the judges finally realized that Brandon had/has only one level.

Ayala's "voice" is much needed.
Clothes can be "modest", interesting, spectacular; and even "sexy", all at once.
I adored her wedding dress.
I would have loved for her to have had the "boost" that a win would have provided.

For all Kentaro's ability; there is little to market for a general audience.
The judges "panned" the dress which fit that market.

viennese

wrecked
Interesting point. I agree, Kentaro's GORGEOUS collection is the least mass market. At least the other big story of the season - that designers can and should make beautiful clothes for more bodies - came across.

Ayana and Margarita and No. 5 designer (I'm sorry, I forgot her name) were better at multi-size designs.

RoseRed

I loved Kentaro's collection the most, so I'm thrilled he won. I adore the second red dress and that shirt with all the cutouts was super cool - I'd wear that whole outfit and feel fabulous.

I agree that Brandon didn't have the most exciting collection, but he definitely has a unique style and as young woman, I know tons of women/girls who would love a lot of his looks. A couple of my friends would probably buy almost everything he made on the show. The colour palette from the collection isn't my thing, and my style is pretty different (a bit more on the girly side), but there were definitely things in there that I would feel very cool wearing.

Again, most of Ayana's stuff isn't my style (I loved the look with the grey distressed denim joggers, grey jacket and satiny shirt though). But there's definitely a market for what she does. And I liked some of her looks during the season a bit more (more my style I guess, more colour).

ETA: and the final dress was very pretty.

Margarita's collection was a lot of fun. I like to have a lot of colour in my wardrobe, so there are definitely pieces in there that I'd wear. I think my favourite was actually the sparkly jacket she was wearing though.

Last edited:

RoseRed

I'm looking at photos of all the collections again. These are my favourite looks (other than the ones I've already mentioned):

Margarita: the bomber jacket, that dress with the black skirt, this little crop top (I'd probably wear it with a tight dark skirt), and this little shirt and shorts combo (without the jacket)

Kentaro: the two nude dresses were so gorgeous, and the first red dress was stunning

Brandon: I'd never wear it, but Liris looked fabulous (she always does) and I love the silhouette of the dress with the little vest

Ayana: Again, wouldn't wear it, but this dress is great and some of the hijabs were really cool

Also Heidi's purple dress was hot.

Moto Guzzi

The results were what I expected, although I liked more of Margarita's collection than the others' collection. Each had designs I liked but there were some I didn't care for at all.

Another former contestant, Wendy Pepper (season 1 and all-stars 2), has died. Details here and obituary here.

Bonita

I thought for sure Ayana would win once they elimated Brandon. I love Kentaro''s personality but did not like his collection. Too mamy different colors and weird shapes.

I yelled at the TV. I was rooting for Ayana. Her finale look made me cry it was so pretty. I loved all of hers but 2.

Brandon made Liris look bad, which is pretty hard. It looked unpolished.

Margaritas was fun but tacky, though the Slutty Cat Toy/Hideous Award goes to Heidi's dress. OMFG.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
To be honest, I liked Kentaro's collection a lot but I thought he was so far out of the running that I didn't even think twice about it after I saw it. I did like the unique music for the runway, though. Brandon's ideas seem very limited and he showed that he really thought what he had done all season (same gimmicks) would give him the win here. Glad the judges looked past that.

millyskate

I finally got to watch it! Ayana's final dress was incredibly spectacular, definitely one of the best ever looks put up at Project Runway and also the first ever "modest" wedding dress I see that I actually like.

Aside from that dress, the two looks that I liked of hers were
http://www.livingly.com/runway/New+York+Fashion+Week+Spring+2018/Project+Runway/ZUH2yJxsh9i and
http://www.livingly.com/runway/New+York+Fashion+Week+Spring+2018/Project+Runway/XKT5fwi3ahP

I loved some of Kentaro's work and think is does work commercially, I can see his clothes being very expensive and him having a Parisian boutique. I thought his final look was completely amazing as well. He had fewer weak pieces than Ayana.

At the end of the day, I don't expect Ayana really had a chance because the sponsor was JC Penney and it's hard to imagine them selling a modest line of clothing....

Margarita showed her best work (especially the fish dress) but her style couldn't be further to mine. Brandon was Brandon, and I do see him as a talented designer. The judges did him a disservice by not challenging him enough throughout the season.

Last edited:

Susan1

I finally got to watch it! Ayana's final dress was incredibly spectacular, definitely one of the best ever looks put up at Project Runway and also the first ever "modest" wedding dress I see that I actually like.

I loved some of Kentaro's work and think is does work commercially, I can see his clothes being very expensive and him having a Parisian boutique. I thought his final look was completely amazing as well.

At the end of the day, I don't expect Ayana really had a chance because the sponsor was JC Penney and it's hard to imagine them selling a modest line of clothing....

Margarita showed her best work (especially the fish dress) but her style couldn't be further to mine. Brandon was Brandon, and I do see him as a talented designer. The judges did him a disservice by not challenging him enough throughout the season.
I just watched yesterday!

I would have liked Ayana to win, but good point about JCP! I loved the ruffles and soft floral prints.

I think Maragarita should have saved the yellow dress for last.

Kentaro, I can't even remember already.

Brandon - I am a big fan of pink, but none of that stuff would have looked good on anyone over 30. Do under 30's shop at JCP? All those strings and the same pattern on everything was so boring. He loved that big pink leather thing? It reminded me of the thing they put on you to have x-rays at the dentist.

skatfan

I thought for sure Ayana would win once they elimated Brandon. I love Kentaro''s personality but did not like his collection. Too mamy different colors and weird shapes.
Margaritas was fun but tacky, though the Slutty Cat Toy/Hideous Award goes to Heidi's dress. OMFG.

Heidi needs to look in the mirror and see that her boobs need support. And talk about a dress with too much going on!

I thought Ayana was going to win (that final look) -I’m not so into conceptual design but at least Brandon didn’t win. I felt bad for him though because the judges turned on him at the last moment. His preview was so good he thought he had it in the bag.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It's a good thing you guys are here to tell me who won, as the dailymotion version would not progress beyond Brandon's crying! (I tried three times.)

I'm happy with Kentaro's win, although Ayana's last look was breathtaking. The evolution of his thinking through the ten looks and the color palette was stunning. I would wear the nude sculptural top and pleated skirt if I could....

But it was really a good show, and none of the designers showed junk. I liked this season overall, especially once they ditched the twins.

Rob

Beach Bum
I loved Ayana's wedding dress, and I think Margarita's looks are marketable, but I was happy for the Kentaro win too. His was the least JC Penney, but the most couture. Loved the opening look, the nude looks, the reds, and the last dress. I would wear some of Brandon's pieces, but overall, the collection had a heavy clunky feel (due to the upholstery fabric) in a print that should not be heavy or clunky. I liked his outfits with the peachy colored plain fronts best.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
The reunion show wasn't bad.

To get the elephant in the room addressed right away, the twins weren't even barely tolerable. They admitted that they could not work independently. Claire tried to walk back from the cheating by saying that she never used the tape in the hotel (no one bought it). Shawn did a sorry/not sorry with Samantha for nasty comments about Sam's work. I swear Shawn's "apology" was written by Matt Lauer's lawyer.

They brought back the top 5 muse models. Lyris and Jasmine are getting a digital feature on Marie Claire. The recaps of best/worst looks focused more on the better. The rest of the show focused mostly on personality quirks and was lighthearted and fun.

My takeaway was that Amy got hosed. Apparently, she was loved, spent time helping others, and was considered to be a lot stronger than the judges indicated.

Last edited:

viennese

wrecked
The twins' non-apology apology was a classic of quibbling, as my army dad used to call it. She'd have been chucked right out of the military for dithering and not owning what she'd done wrong.

So many of these designers are going to have great careers. Not the twins. They seem like self promoting stylists who didn't have the art/sewing skills to ever be selected for the TV show.

peibeck

Simply looking
For followers of this show who didn't know, it will be returning to Bravo in 2019 under the original producers (Magical Elves is the name of the company).

However, BIG changes are in store. Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn are both "OUT" and will be replaced by replaced by model Karlie Kloss and the designers mentor will be former PR winner Christian Siriano. (Apparently Klum and Gunn are planning a new fashion/style show for Amazon.)

Nina Garcia is the only returning judge, with designer Brandon Maxwell and Teen Vogue editor Elaine Welteroth.

:watch:

Rob

Beach Bum
Whaaaat, no Tim Gunn? Not replaceable! I like Christian Siriano, but what gives? Heidi I could care less about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information