Lori Nichol on Carolina Kostner: “I consider her my angel of skating” (via Beverley Smith)

Sylvia

TBD
Originally posted in Carolina Kostner's fan thread and I thought Beverley Smith's article deserves visibility in GSD:
QUEEN CAROLINA. NUFF SAID.

Excerpts:
Now, Kostner is returning to this magical piece [Debussy's Faun], so good to her in the past. So good in the way it softened her knees, gave her patience, taught her so many things about beauty.
“We listened to so many different pieces of music and of course, at this point, she is so experienced, she could have done many things,” Nichol said. “But it was about finding the piece that made her feel at home, and be able to really dive into the character, the emotion, the divinity of it all. It was just a pleasure from start to finish in choreographing it [again.]” Nichol said.
“Just as it’s incredibly difficult to do the technical to a very refined state, it’s the same level of difficulty to take artistry to the next level,” Nichol explained. “I think that’s what’s misunderstood in many ways. I don’t want to use the numbers of the new system, I just want to use the concept that refinement of body movement and body line and integrity and interpretation – to achieve her level is equal to being an incredible technical master.”
So Nichol feels proud of her. She feels great for skating. It’s a very fascinating time in figure skating, she said. She watched the men “knock it out of the park” with intensely difficult programs and they still kept the integrity of movement and music.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Also from the article:
Nichol also created the free program of Nathan Chen. “I absolutely adored working with him,” she said. “He’s one of the most intelligent skaters I’ve ever met. And the moment where we broke through that intelligence and went into the realm of living in movement and through movement was a very rewarding experience.“
(Shae-Lynn Bourne choreographed Nathan's "Nemesis" SP).

skatfan

Kostner has been her muse for the period after Kwan. It's lovely to see the deep friendship they have.

Not surprised Nichol likes Chen - all that dance background!

Bellanca

Aw, that is nice! Lori's sentiment about Carolina being her angel of skating is shared by many. If there is one skater who could pull the upset at an Olympic Games (which have already been decided in the minds of many) and leave fans from around the world celebrating and cheering with wild abandon, it would be Carolina, our angel of skating! :encore:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information