2017-2018 Program Music and Choreographers

binbinwinwin

A sibling team has skated to Game of Thrones before, Kim Su-yeon and Kim Hyung-tae of South Korea skated to it for their SP last season. They were at 4CC and Junior Worlds.

Kateri

void beast
Pairs team Danilova/Kamianchuk of Belarus also did a GoT program. It was fine but not outstanding. It'd be interesting to see a top skater take it on.
Were they the ones where he was Robb, and they ended with the Red Wedding? That was potentially extremely voidy, and I agree they did not take full scenery-chewing advantage.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
IIRC the last song was the Rains of Castamere (song played during the red wedding), and there was a stabbing at the end...
I agree that GoT soundtrack is really good, I'd love to see a 'dark/powerful' ice dance program to it.

aemeraldrainc

We need a sibling team to skate with blond wigs... hey, it would make the Shibutanis interesting on ice for once :shuffle:
Hah! I wish there was an "lol" like so I could use it for your reply.
Nothing against the Shibs. They're ok. But the only program I remember from them and really liked was the first Coldplay one they did. (Fix You & The Scientist)
:)

aemeraldrainc

Brezina skated to Game of Thrones. If people don't remember it, that may be one of the reasons it isn't used more often. Polina's program--which she used last season--is quite different and quite nice.
I agree Polina's is different and nice. But I think a GoT soundtrack program has so much void potential. And like someone said, a top skater in any discipline skating to it would be good.
Gonna watch Brezina's version now.

Dobre

I agree Polina's is different and nice. But I think a GoT soundtrack program has so much void potential. And like someone said, a top skater in any discipline skating to it would be good.
Gonna watch Brezina's version now.

If you are looking for a voidy interpretation of a program, then I wouldn't necessarily look for a top athlete. I would look for an athlete that has a voidy persona on the ice.

I've never watched Game of Thrones so I wouldn't know. I didn't think it helped Brezina. I thought it came across as your average action movie soundtrack assigned to an athlete expected to have less artistic range. I actually thought his free skate to the Marriage of Figaro that year was a breakthrough for him artistically. Sadly the jumps did not break through along with the presentation.

I do remember Polina's SP to Game of Thrones better than her LP from last season. (Though I think I remember her Chess program best).

All that said, if any one of the 25 Moulin Rouge performers wants to swap their current program for Game of Thrones, I'd say, "Have at it."

aemeraldrainc

If you are looking for a voidy interpretation of a program, then I wouldn't necessarily look for a top athlete. I would look for an athlete that has a voidy persona on the ice.

I've never watched Game of Thrones so I wouldn't know. I didn't think it helped Brezina. I thought it came across as your average action movie soundtrack assigned to an athlete expected to have less artistic range. I actually thought his free skate to the Marriage of Figaro that year was a breakthrough for him artistically. Sadly the jumps did not break through along with the presentatio
I see what you're saying. You're right. As long as the program is good, it doesn't matter if it's a top skater or not.
Maybe Brezina's wasn't remarkable because he didn't approach it in the "right" way or the choreography sucked. Was he trying to tell a particular story?
Maybe the music cuts didn't help, either.
And I definitely didn't like the music arrangement he chose. He could have held his positions/movements longer, too. It seemed rushed.
A pair/ice dance team would do a better job, I think.

Anyways, back on topic.
Sean Rabbitt has posted on his FB that he's changing his SP music from "Tequila" to "Somewhere in time" and he also choreographed it.
Source:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10211920064530264&id=1031220171

C

casken

I've never watched Game of Thrones so I wouldn't know. I didn't think it helped Brezina. I thought it came across as your average action movie soundtrack assigned to an athlete expected to have less artistic range.

Yup. Same with Fentz's LP this year. To someone who hasn't watched GoT, the music sounds nondescript and generic. Maybe it's a case of needing better track selection, but I think you have to have an connection to the show to really get into the soundtrack.

Sylvia

TBD
Denis Ten debuted his programs at Cup of Nice this past weekend (he is still recovering from his ankle ligament rupture injury in August). A clip of his free skate to "SOS d'un terrien en dƩtresse" performed by the well-known Kazakh singer Dimash Kudaibergen, was posted on the singer's Instagram account with a message to Denis: https://www.instagram.com/p/BaSSMl_lafh/?taken-by=kudaibergenov.dimash
Article in English summarizing their exchange on Instagram: http://www.inform.kz/en/denis-ten-comes-back-to-ice-to-dimash-s-song_a3075363

This article from August mentioned Ten "worked with choreographers Benoit Richaud and David Wilson on his new programs": https://goldenskate.com/2017/08/denis-ten-2/
ā€œThe programs this year have a special character,ā€ he volunteered. ā€œI would like to unite my best strengths in them. The free program has become a peculiar symbol for me. The short program has a reverent feeling for me. The idea was born out of amusing situations, but the most valuable for me, is that the music is performed by a Kazakh artist.ā€
Not sure if Ten's SP song is also performed by the same singer? His ISU bio has yet to be updated for Rostelecom Cup.

jenny12

Last edited:

VGThuy

I loved Karenā€™s self-choreographed SP (was it self-choreographed?) last season but starting next season she should really have a stronger choreographer to learn from.

I do love that she went from one of the most overused pieces in skating to a piece I donā€™t remember anyone using.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
This actually makes me very excited. Slow Dancing in the Big City was a widely popular choice of music for the Japanese skaters in the early 80's IIRC.

Yuka Sato also used it for the first part of the 1994 season before returning to Don Quixote.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTSTbTxCJBU

Masakagu Kagiyama in first first 'pro' event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-33kjvo9X0g

Takahito Mura 2011 free skate (gorgeous skating): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx5Vg9BP0os

Born/Schonborn 1985 Worlds FD (in Japan): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfrrftRfAek

The slow piece entitled 'The Ovation' from the score is one of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. She will no doubt include it in her free skate.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
And, Karen said this re her FS: "It's time to take a risk and trust my instincts." :respec: :cheer2:

If anything, some of the music is in the same vein as pieces like East of Eden, Out of Africa, or even On Golden Pond (and I really liked her SP last year). The music is so beautiful that it's probably going to help people to like the program or pay attention more. I didn't find anything remarkable about Carmen and I think it's a great choice.

clairecloutier

Surprising news, but I'm excited. I really liked Karen's Carmen LP and thought it had potential. I liked her in the role. But--that said--her last 2 performances of it (at the California club comp and Japan Open) looked lackluster, like she wasn't feeling it or something. So maybe it's for the best that she's changed to different music. I look forward to seeing the new program! :)

Spun Silver

Good for her. I hated her Carmen. A very ballsy thing to do and I canā€™t wait to see it. Such a multi-talented, ambitious skater. Go for it, Karen!

Firedancer

Great decision by Karen! She really seemed to be struggling with Carmen the last two times out. Hopefully this new program will provide a little more contrast from her SP. I really look forward to seeing her next weekend in Regina.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information