Yuri!!! On Ice

Kateri

void beast
At the press conference after Yuri professes his love for Victor, all Victor says is “We have to burn that necktie.”
As in that link you posted, if Yuuri is saying all that in Japanese, Victor, who is shown to have pretty rudimentary Japanese, has no clue about what he's telling the press at all.

Last edited:

just tuned in

As in that link you posted, if Yuuri is saying all that in Japanese, Victor, who is shown to have pretty rudimentary Japanese, has no clue about what he's telling the press at all.
Exactly. @Kateri, as you are well-versed in the world of anime, you are probably aware that lots of viewers are wondering if Victor and Yuuri are conversing in Japanese. The author of that post makes a great argument that Victor and Yuuri converse in English. Victor does not speak Japanese, so does not understand what Yuuri said in the press conference.

Willin

I'm not watching YoI, but my sister is watching avidly. She's not a skating fan and has never seen the horror of IceNetwork's streaming quality. Still, she understood the joke about the IceNetwork streaming quality hilarious enough to tell me it happened. So, apparently even the Japanese fans know it sucks even though they don't have to use it.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
^The streaming gags are absolutely brilliant and show that the creators are very much paying attention to skating fandom.

VGThuy

After this last episode with the ring exchange and the Banquet and Victor's POV...there's no way the Yuri/Victor relationship is only fan service anymore
...I'm just loving every moment of this show.

misskarne

^There was a lot of yelling going on in my lounge room when I watched it this morning.

Kateri

void beast
Episode 10 making everyone go back and rewatch the whole series again because omg it's in such a different light now.

Like:
Victor choreo'd the Eros SP using Yuuri's drunk-dancing moves to try and remind him that Yuuri, not Victor was the seduce-and-abandon rude playboy all along! But we only find this out AFTER they're engaged and we know it ends happily, because the show didn't wanna get bogged down in angst and secret-pining/misunderstanding tropes. I kinda love that.

But... WHY was there a pole? (my friend: "it's in Chris' skate rider, he demands one at every competition.")

misskarne

^It does seem to be the general consensus that Chris is responsible for the pole, though the main theme I have seen is that he keeps a portable one on him at all times, in case of emergency. ;)

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
I loved drunk Yuri :lol: I'm also looking forward to having Oda on the next episode :cheer:

I also liked the friendship that was started between Yurio and Otabek (KAZ skater)

just tuned in

Well, things just turned bizarre. No wonder Victor has had no qualms about invading Yuri's personal space. Leaving the GPF last year, Victor asked Yuri for a "commemorative photo" -- but it looks like plenty of very interesting ones are available. Victor must have been very confused by Yuri's standoffishness, given his behavior at the party.

I am going to pretend that none of that happened. La-la-la.

Kids: Don't drink.

HisWeirness

pork cutlet bowl fatale
Already re-watched episodes 1-4 after seeing Episode 10. So many moments that I thought were weird actually make sense now that I am more familiar with the characters and the backstory. Every week I am just counting down to Wednesday now :D

Kateri

void beast
I have the weird feeling like we should be having a live thread in the K&C section for this upcoming men's SP... so nervous.

like, we need fred to make a thread title.

Kateri

void beast
I kinda needed a pbp thread, wtf???? SHOW ME THE PROTOCOLS OH MY GOD, DO I HAVE QUESTIONSSSSSS

misskarne

It's as I feared. Back in episode 7 when Phichit won CoC in a result that never could be replicated with IJS, their scoring system stopped making sense.

A two-quad program with a rotated quad flip (hand down) should not be so far behind anyone else. And why is Yuri acting like his program was a total failure? He landed everything! And why did JJ score 86 with two invalid jumping passes and no combo?! Their scoring system has completely jumped the shark. it's gone from trying to be semi-realistic if a little inflated to completely nonsensical in order to serve Rule of Drama. Yikes.

Kateri

void beast
It's as I feared. Back in episode 7 when Phichit won CoC in a result that never could be replicated with IJS, their scoring system stopped making sense.

A two-quad program with a rotated quad flip (hand down) should not be so far behind anyone else. And why is Yuri acting like his program was a total failure? He landed everything! And why did JJ score 86 with two invalid jumping passes and no combo?! Their scoring system has completely jumped the shark. it's gone from trying to be semi-realistic if a little inflated to completely nonsensical in order to serve Rule of Drama. Yikes.

In my excitement, I forgot spoiler tags were a thing. But yes. Exactly. Ghhhh. Don't get me started on Yuri P's score.

Yuuri is ELEVEN POINTS ahead of JJ's bombsite, and I'm just. So mad.

VGThuy

Yuuri is the most underscored skater this GP series. It's blatant protocol judging. I bet he got PCS in the 7.0s while JJ got high 9.0s. Don't get me start on why he's only 2 points ahead of Pichit. Of course they could just be setting it up so that Yuuri wins the LP and the GPF in spectacular fashion as he's done clean SPs before but not a clean LP. I almost teared up with that whole sequence with J.J. though. That was great.

misskarne

Honestly, I just think they've been assigning arbitrary numbers to the programs, to fit with Rule of Drama, not thinking about a proper scoring system. Otherwise, the scoring is whacked, and surely they know it.

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Episode 11 was quite funny...the baby Russian tano-ing to the top, JJ's jump meltdown, etc.

Is Christopher supposed to be based on Brian Joubert? Babou never had frosted tips but there have been a lot of things that make me think he is the inspiration for Christopher, the sex appeal, the glittery costumes, the joke about him doing a 3 jump combination, the underrotated 4t-2t combo....

I love how the coaches are so obviously made to look exactly like real coaches, while the skaters seem to be a mix of real skaters and made up characters.

JJ's girlfriend is a dead ringer for Madison Chock :lol:

DimaToe

Retired by Frank Carroll
So I really hope this goes into a second season, mainly because I want to see if Yurio's career is written to be similar to Lipnitskaya's.

I'm going to buy the blu ray or buy it digitally as soon as it's available. I figure sales of that would play a factor in having a sequel being considered.

misskarne

I want it to go into a second season! There's so much they could do. Japanese Nationals, Four Continents, and Worlds!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information