UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer I think most parents of skaters want to help their kids to have a good experience in skating, whether their kid is famous or not. It might be more expensive and more intense to be a famous skater. Every skater still has to be safe on the ice and has to learn the basics. And even famous skaters can have trouble finding a partner.

But every skater can learn something good from being a skater. Skating teaches you to work hard and listen to instructions, to respect other people, and to set goals and work toward reaching them. Those are skills that can be useful in anything, not just in skating. Most parents of skaters want to help their kids get those skills, even if the kids don't end up becoming famous.

Last edited:

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
FSWer, I have probably skated with at least a 100 or more young skaters over the course of my years on the ice, and frankly, only 3 of them became elite level competitiors who made it to US Nationals and beyond. One is my coach, who is half of an elite championship level US ice dance team, and 2 of them were pairs skaters who are no longer competing, partially due to not being able to find a new partner. That said, they all learned a lot from skating that has helped them become strong adults. For example, one of of my friends was put in a special school for skaters by her parent in hopes she'd make to Nationals and the Olympics. In the end, she ended up specializing in solo ice dance (no partner) and competed in the US solo ice dance competition series, and medaled at the national leve for solo dance. She still skates and most recently took a pewter medal in non-dance artistic skating at adult sectionals - she just decided to get back to competition for herself and have fun out there. She is a skating coach and is completing a doctorate in physical therapy - I'm so incredibly proud of her. She didn't end up becoming the next Ashley Wagner or Gracie Gold like her parents had initially hoped, but she was able to turn her skating into something she loved and she got a lot out of, and it has helped make her the fine and strong woman she is today.

The most important thing for me in skating is that I have fun and learn and try to skate to the best of my ability. If testing my dances and competing and even getting a partner come at some point down the line, that will be great, but if that doesn't happen, that's OK, too. For right now, my goal is to improve my skills and become a better skater. And enjoy every moment I have on the ice. Take care, and I hope you can get another lesson with Nick later this month.

Shyjosie

For right now, my goal is to improve my skills and become a better skater. And enjoy every moment I have on the ice. Take care, and I hope you can get another lesson with Nick later this month.
This sums it up perfectly for me.
I'm really sorry to read that your lesson was cancelled, FSWer. Hopefully, there will be one soon!

FSWer

FSWer, I have probably skated with at least a 100 or more young skaters over the course of my years on the ice, and frankly, only 3 of them became elite level competitiors who made it to US Nationals and beyond. One is my coach, who is half of an elite championship level US ice dance team, and 2 of them were pairs skaters who are no longer competing, partially due to not being able to find a new partner. That said, they all learned a lot from skating that has helped them become strong adults. For example, one of of my friends was put in a special school for skaters by her parent in hopes she'd make to Nationals and the Olympics. In the end, she ended up specializing in solo ice dance (no partner) and competed in the US solo ice dance competition series, and medaled at the national leve for solo dance. She still skates and most recently took a pewter medal in non-dance artistic skating at adult sectionals - she just decided to get back to competition for herself and have fun out there. She is a skating coach and is completing a doctorate in physical therapy - I'm so incredibly proud of her. She didn't end up becoming the next Ashley Wagner or Gracie Gold like her parents had initially hoped, but she was able to turn her skating into something she loved and she got a lot out of, and it has helped make her the fine and strong woman she is today.

The most important thing for me in skating is that I have fun and learn and try to skate to the best of my ability. If testing my dances and competing and even getting a partner come at some point down the line, that will be great, but if that doesn't happen, that's OK, too. For right now, my goal is to improve my skills and become a better skater. And enjoy every moment I have on the ice. Take care, and I hope you can get another lesson with Nick later this month.

S

@FSWer I think most parents of skaters want to help their kids to have a good experience in skating, whether their kid is famous or not. It might be more expensive and more intense to be a famous skater. Every skater still has to be safe on the ice and has to learn the basics. And even famous skaters can have trouble finding a partner.

But every skater can learn something good from being a skater. Skating teaches you to work hard and listen to instructions, to respect other people, and to set goals and work toward reaching them. Those are skills that can be useful in anything, not just in skating. Most parents of skaters want to help their kids get those skills, even if the kids don't end up becoming famous.

I

FSWer

I DO agree with you all. You all to me,are some of the nicest,safest Skaters that have EVER given me advice!!! Right now I'm looking for a day in May to go for my next lesson. I really wish some of you lived close by enough to come watch me. I must also say that I feel very,very comfortable asking you ALL for help,AND my personal life with you all!!! I really shows the trust I have in you ALL!!!

FSWer

Ok my friends!!!! Here is my next Report....My Staff got me down to Newington Arena for a little after 12pm. I got my Skates on,and went into the Blue Rink. Nick and I worked on Marching,My one-Foot-Glide and some Swizzles. As well as proper lace tying. Nick also suggested velcro Skates for me to help with tightening my Skates and make them more snug. I must admit,I never knew there was such a type of Skate. Nick is also going away for a bit (it sounds only long-term temp.). So he will be hooking me up with another coach for a bit. LOL. I just hope that another coach can just take-up right were Nick left off,until he get's back. Because, I have found it really frustrating when you take Skating Lessons with a coach and then you find when you go back and get another coach,that all they do is start you right back at the beginning. (Has this ever happened to anyone here)? As I feel that you don't accomplish anything that way. He did say though,that he will pass my info. on,and will be coming out every so often to coach. So,I really don't know when I'll be going in June. Or if I will. I have to see when I'm hooked up. I also met another coach. As well as saw an Ice-Dance Team in training or practicing after Public Skate on the Ice!!! Well everyone...that's my Report. I'll let you all know what happens for June.

Reactions: KCC

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Good stuff @FSWer!!

Re changing coaches, yes, it can be frustrating, because every coach teaches differently. And one coach may see things they think you need to work on, but another coach may see other things and want to work on those things instead.

But the good thing about having different coaches is that you get different ideas about your skating, instead of ideas from just one person. And sometimes one coach can explain things in a different way from another coach, and that can be really helpful in helping you understand how to do a certain move or a step.

Last edited:

Shyjosie

I'm hoping for the best for you, FSWer, and that your coach will hook you up with someone nice and dedicated. I know how it feels like, because more than once, I had got accustomed to a coach, then they changed plans after one season and handed me over to some colleague. I'm lucky to have had the same coach for three years now. Therefor, I know what it means to start all over again and again. Normally, a new coach would ask me to skate (simply go around the rink in forward strokes), to see my pace, edge, posture, and then do some basic elements with me as to get an impression of my skills, security and such. I guess it'll be quite like that for you when you meet you new coach.
Anyhow, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you'll have another lesson soon with a nice coach! Everything will fall into place once you're accquainted with each other.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
Stay positive, FSWer - a new coach can often be a very good thing. The best move I made was switching coaches because my new coach focuses much more on basic technique (he's an elite ice dancer), and he considers me just as important as his younger students. You are doing great; remember, the most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!!

FSWer

Stay positive, FSWer - a new coach can often be a very good thing. The best move I made was switching coaches because my new coach focuses much more on basic technique (he's an elite ice dancer), and he considers me just as important as his younger students. You are doing great; remember, the most important thing is to HAVE FUN!!!!

Ok.

KCC

I'm really happy that you can continue your lessons even though Nick won't be there for a while. It sounds like you are having fun and making progress! My fingers are crossed that you enjoy working with your new coach!

FSWer

LOL. My Fingers are crossed for me and a Partner,and become a Full-Fledged Ice-Dance Team!!!

FSWer

Ok my friends. With all these years of being a Member of this Board,and chatting with you all,I feel now that I can trust you all with this bit of info. about my life....Do you all know what....Title 19 is? Well...that's what I'm on,and can only have a curtain amount of money in my account. Which is one reason to why I sometimes (if I'm really not) feel like a misfit. I sometimes wonder too,since my Staff seem to always talk about money and how the times are these days,IF indeed they REALLY do support me. So,I am so glad to hear that you guys completely support me!!!! I will also always love you guys for your strong support and belief in me!!!!

Clarice

I'm sure your staff supports you, FSWer, but there's nothing they can do about the money. It's frustrating for a lot of skaters, when we can't afford to skate as much as we would like. All we can do is make the most of what ice time we do have, and practice what we can off ice. You used to do exercises off ice, I remember. Do you still do that?

purple skates

Shadow Dancing
We believe in you @FSWer! It is unfortunate that money considerations get in the way. They do for all skaters.

I wish I could skate more, but we have a disability in our family too that limits the extra funds for skating. So I enjoy what I get to do - hope you enjoy what you can do as well!

FSWer

We believe in you @FSWer! It is unfortunate that money considerations get in the way. They do for all skaters.

I wish I could skate more, but we have a disability in our family too that limits the extra funds for skating. So I enjoy what I get to do - hope you enjoy what you can do as well!

Thanks for sharing that with me Purple. You and everyone here are so understanding of me.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer you know those famous skaters that you like to watch on TV? At some point, every one of them didn't have enough money for skating, or couldn't get enough lessons with their coach, or couldn't get enough ice time. It happens to every skater. You just have to do the best you can with what you have.

Sometimes when I feel like I'm too tired from work to go to the rink, or when it's rainy and cold outside and I know the rink is going to be colder than usual - I remind myself that it's great to be able to go skating at all. A lot of people don't even have an ice rink to go to, or don't have any time to skate. So even if money is a problem or you can't go as often as you would like - you still get to go, and that's something to enjoy.

Last edited:

FSWer

Ohhhhhhh,I just wanna say too,that it feels so...GOOD to be able to share my REAL life AND REAL feelings with a bunch on-line friends who I ONLY know through this Board. You guys have given me encouragement, and I will always love and think of all you guys as my trainers.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Everyone else is right. Money is a consideration for just about EVERY skater. It's frustrating!! We had a strong synchro team back before 2008, but when the economy took a dive, many skaters had to stop or cut back on their skating due to layoffs, mortgage problems, etc.

FSWer

Everyone else is right. Money is a consideration for just about EVERY skater. It's frustrating!! We had a strong synchro team back before 2008, but when the economy took a dive, many skaters had to stop or cut back on their skating due to layoffs, mortgage problems, etc.

You mean they were FORCED to give up what they enjoy?!! How cruel. Is it ok to ask what team?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer I think what @LilJen meant is that the skaters had less money than they did before, and many of them had other bills to pay. So to be able to pay those bills they had to spend less on skating, or quit skating altogether. It wasn't that someone forced them to stop skating, as in someone telling them they couldn't skate anymore. But they chose to skate less or not at all because their income dropped and they couldn't afford to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information