UPDATES ON MY DREAM TO LEARN TO ICE-DANCE...WISH ME LUCK!!

Clarice

I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you to get set up, FSWer. This is one of the frustrating things about skating - we can't always skate when we want to, but only when they let us. I hope things fall into place for you soon!

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer I don't really know what we could suggest that would help. If Saturdays aren't a day with a regular public skate, then maybe you could ask Nick what other days he is available and see if you can fit that day into your work schedule. Or see if Nick is willing to meet you on Saturdays at another rink that you could get to.

If your staff has to take you, can you arrange that in advance when you find out when you and Nick can meet for a lesson?

Kecasyl

Here are my suggestions @FSWer. Ask Nick if he has another rink that you could go to. I looked up the schedule for public sessions at Champions Skating Center in nearby Cromwell and it looks like they have a session every day http://championsice.maxgalaxy.net/ScheduleList.aspx?ID=5

Or if you do work out to skate at Newington on another day of the week (it looks to me like they have public skate every day except for Saturday), maybe you could take the bus? They have directions on their site to take CT Transit bus route 69 Capital Avenue to Veterans Hospital. IDK if that is where you would have to get off for the rink or not, so you would have to check if you choose to do that, also be aware this bus route does not run on Sundays.

I hope things work out for you! :cool:

treesprite

I'm sorry to hear that there are still problems getting the lessons started. Hopefully the suggestions to pick another day or another rink will help. If Nick does not teach at the other rink and going there for Saturday is your only option, you may have to get a coach who works at the other rink.

KCC

That must be really disappointing and frustrating for you! I hope that you can work out a schedule soon, and continue with your off-ice exercises in the mean time. Good luck - we are all cheering for you.

FSWer

Here are my suggestions @FSWer. Ask Nick if he has another rink that you could go to. I looked up the schedule for public sessions at Champions Skating Center in nearby Cromwell and it looks like they have a session every day http://championsice.maxgalaxy.net/ScheduleList.aspx?ID=5

Or if you do work out to skate at Newington on another day of the week (it looks to me like they have public skate every day except for Saturday), maybe you could take the bus? They have directions on their site to take CT Transit bus route 69 Capital Avenue to Veterans Hospital. IDK if that is where you would have to get off for the rink or not, so you would have to check if you choose to do that, also be aware this bus route does not run on Sundays.

I hope things work out for you! :cool:

That is one thing Nick DID suggest to me...The Rink in Cromwell,as well as other days. what's really making it hard is that Staff don't really like driving that far...and there's no way to know when there will be Staff. BUT...since I trust you guys so much...I will tell you were I live. I live in Bristol,CT. Would that info. help you all to help me more?

Kecasyl

That is one thing Nick DID suggest to me...The Rink in Cromwell,as well as other days. what's really making it hard is that Staff don't really like driving that far...and there's no way to know when there will be Staff. BUT...since I trust you guys so much...I will tell you were I live. I live in Bristol,CT. Would that info. help you all to help me more?

With where you live it's about equal time give or take for you to try to use public sessions with Nick at Simsbury (International Skating Center of CT) or Cromwell. I don't know what to tell you regarding getting a ride there though.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer if you can arrange a regular time and day for lessons with Nick at one of the rinks, is it possible to schedule staff to go with you then? As in, to make sure someone can take you to the rink? If there's no way to know when there are going to be staff to go with you, that is going to make it really hard for you to have lessons.

FSWer

With where you live it's about equal time give or take for you to try to use public sessions with Nick at Simsbury (International Skating Center of CT) or Cromwell. I don't know what to tell you regarding getting a ride there though.

Can anyone please give me the prices and details for getting into the Champions Ice Center?

Shyjosie

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties, FSWer. My idea for you is still that you try to get an appointment with your case-worker and your coach (Nick) together. If possible, print out the schedules of the rinks that are appropriate for you, so both of them can see what options there are to schedule a lesson for you on public ice. I wish you the best of luck!

FSWer

I'm sorry this has been so difficult for you to get set up, FSWer. This is one of the frustrating things about skating - we can't always skate when we want to, but only when they let us. I hope things fall into place for you soon!

LOL. it makes me wonder if I'm alone with having to get through money issues and this,because I'm under the State. Or if all competitive Skaters (including famous ones) deal with all this,and of course just don't make it public.

Kecasyl

LOL. it makes me wonder if I'm alone with having to get through money issues and this,because I'm under the State. Or if all competitive Skaters (including famous ones) deal with all this,and of course just don't make it public.
We all deal with it. Despite level, it's a common problem in the skating world.

gkelly

I'm sure a lot of competitive skaters have to deal with problems about getting enough ice time close to where they live, and about how to pay for it all. We usually don't hear about all the details.

treesprite

My bill-paying job doesn't pay enough for skating, so I got a part-time job at the ice rink where I can now skate for free. I wish the coaches were free too, but I guess I can't have everything.

Skittl1321

I certainly had to deal with this. Unavailable ice time because I had to work, synchro practice pushed to 10 pm to accommodate hockey, having to get a second job to pay for lessons, teaching lts in trade for ice, losing my coach due to scheduling conflicts.

Skating is expensive and hard to schedule for pretty much everyone.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I'm lucky that I freelance and can work from home and have flexible hours. There are actually 4 skating rinks within 20 minutes of my house, but I drive 45 minutes to another and am now a member of their skating club because they have early morning freestyle ice hours (the skating I am working on is not appropriate for a public session). And my lessons are an hour away because I have to go where my coach trains!! I sympathize, it can be hard to get ice time!

FSWer

Well my Friends...I just had my IP. Meeting today,and we talked about my Ice-Dancing,and it sounds like Newington is perfered. BUT that it is possible to go to Cromwell. At this point my Staff told me that I can go once a month. But I hope to go more after getting my taxes. BUT..I DO have some good news....Newington FINALLY has Ice on Jan.,28th!!! My Mom also to me today that she is really happy to what I am doing. Taking lessons from a coach and all!! LOL. btw. she said at my Meeting that I got hooked up with Nick...somehow...LOL...if the ALL only knew?

FSWer

To Skate. You see my friends....another Staff messed up my account,and now I'm suffering with having to cut things.

FSWer

Say,I was just wondering...will I be eventually learning the Ice-Dance moves that we are all familar with?

Skittl1321

What moves are you thinking of that you hope to learn? Most adults will never look like the skaters on TV, but with a lot of hard work you may be able to learn the Dutch Waltz for instance.

You will likely start with very basic skating, but you have to do all that well to be able to ice dance.

FSWer

What moves are you thinking of that you hope to learn? Most adults will never look like the skaters on TV, but with a lot of hard work you may be able to learn the Dutch Waltz for instance.

You will likely start with very basic skating, but you have to do all that well to be able to ice dance.

ooooooooooooooooh,I would...LOOOOOOOVE to learn to lift and lean a Partner correctly!! LOL.

Skittl1321

LOL.I mean will I eventually learn the hard moves you see on tv. too?

Realistically, probably not. To be able to skate at that level requires a decade or more of intense training.

Some adults do learn basic lifts, but those adults have skated for years before learning them, multiple sessuons a week. You need to be extremely solid in your skills as an individuall skater and a partner before even doing a tiny one.

Things like twizzles, maybe...but again, that could be many years down the road. I skated as an adult for 10 years, 3 lessons a week, and could barely do 3 twizzles in a row. They are much harder than elite skaters make them look. If you can only do one lesson a month, it will be very hard to progress.

It's okay to dream, but it's also be good to be realistic about your goals. Or at least take it one step at a time.

Last edited:

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@FSWer to lift a partner you have to have good basic skating skills, so that you can do the lift safely for both of you. Same thing with leaning. When you start lessons you won't be learning the hard moves, but if you don't have good strong skills like stroking and edges, you will never get to do the harder skills. Everything in skating builds on good basic skills, so you need to learn those before learning anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information