Yuzuru Hanyu Divorced (updated)

On My Own

ETA on Monday that I really haven't been following the gossip/speculation online - this "article" popped up in my regular Google search for figure skating news. I saw that Golden Skate tweeted a link on 9/17 (presumably to the same one but has since deleted their tweet.
Yeah, I saw that btw. Pretty sure that's the reason this spread among skating fans, whereas all these other 'wives' have remained within fanyu circles.

chantilly

God what a bizarre thing to do to post a hoax notice of a former figure skater’s bride?
Is he even married?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
God what a bizarre thing to do to post a hoax notice of a former figure skater’s bride?
Is he even married?
That part seems to be true because he did release an official statement announcing his marriage. He did not state to whom though, which is why people keep speculating.

On My Own

I think tabloids all around the world have a pretty big problem with gossip? But I guess this is more than just 'gossip' if they're confidently claiming he's married to this woman.

I've actually seen Fanyus claim he was linked to a woman many years ago by tabloids, and that it hurt him a lot, so this constant speculation is distasteful.

Fairuza

I think tabloids all around the world have a pretty big problem with gossip? But I guess this is more than just 'gossip' if they're confidently claiming he's married to this woman.

I've actually seen Fanyus claim he was linked to a woman many years ago by tabloids, and that it hurt him a lot, so this constant speculation is distasteful.
Yeah, they came up with a story he impregnated his former classmate, so tabloids started to harass the poor girl. Tabloids got round to him back then, and he gave them quite a roasting and apologised to the girl.

airgelaal

Apparently, they were being stalked excessively by paparazzi??? Wow, the entire thing sounds awful.
Yep :eek:

F_JcOogXsAAF0xF

airgelaal

-> off to Fanyu twitter

But srsly...this is absolutely awful and disgusting. I feel very sorry for Hanyu and his soon-to-be ex-wife.
Maybe they should've moved to a different country in order to be left alone.
With so many shows in Japan I don't think it was possible :(

On My Own

He needs to withdraw from the public eye a bit. The constant attention since he was 17 is never going to help. I don't know if those shows are solely his idea or someone else suggested those to him, but he needs to vanish for a couple years.

sap5

VM "fans" know all about stalking and harassing a non-celebrity woman who married a skater, don't they? Typical disgusting behavior.

raruki

Some of the J-Pop legends like Kimura Takura and Fukuyama Masaharu have received massive death threats from their crazy fandoms and harassment from the paparazzi when they announced that they would get married, but they still managed to protect their wives very well. And even, if you really don't know how to deal with the fandom or the press, why not just send your wife to overseas countries to avoid them?

I do believe that the harassment from the press and fans is real, but using it as an excuse to divorce is the behavior of a true coward for me to be honest because you just left your ex-wife in an even more vulnerable situation.

airgelaal

Some of the J-Pop legends like Kimura Takura and Fukuyama Masaharu have received massive death threats from their crazy fandoms and harassment from the paparazzi when they announced that they would get married, but they still managed to protect their wives very well. And even, if you really don't know how to deal with the fandom or the press, why not just send your wife to overseas countries to avoid them?

I do believe that the harassment from the press and fans is real, but using divorce as an excuse is the behavior of a true coward for me to be honest, because you just left your ex-wife in an even more vulnerable situation.
Maybe because she has her own life and career. Why do those who have done nothing wrong have to run and hide?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
@raruki - why should Hanyu's wife be forced into living overseas? She has family, friends, and her entire life in Japan. Even if he does have the money to do that, what you are suggesting amounts to nothing short of exile because of out-of-control paparazzi and fandom, neither of whom seem to respect any sort of boundaries.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I do believe that the harassment from the press and fans is real, but using it as an excuse to divorce is the behavior of a true coward for me to be honest because you just left your ex-wife in an even more vulnerable situation.

Could you be any more unsympathetic? These are real people with real feelings, trying to do the best they can in a difficult situation.

raruki

I just stated an extreme situation, and you should definitely have more ways to deal with this type of situation. Divorcing is not ideal.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I just stated an extreme situation, and you should definitely have more ways to deal with this type of situation. Divorcing is not ideal.

Stop passing judgement on them. I'm pretty sure they don't think divorce is ideal either. But it's their decision and they are the ones that are going to be most affected by the outcome. Criticizing them for making this choice is not constructive or helpful.

On My Own

Fukuyama and Kimura both married celebrities, though. Hanyu's message says he married someone who wasn't a celebrity, I doubt she at all knew what she was in for. Japanese fandom is completely unhinged, I feel like it's the worst of the three east asian countries that get talked about, even though I know so little about it in comparison to the other two's.

sap5

How do paparazzi work in Japan? They are taking photos, but they aren't publishing them anywhere? Do many people in Japan know who Yuzu married?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information