Impact of Russia-Ukraine War on sports worldwide

Sylvia

TBD
The venue was used by the Donbass ice hockey club since 2014, the year pro-Russia separatists proclaimed the creation of the Donetsk People's Republic.
The Ukrainian Ice Hockey Federation confirmed the missile attack on the venue via its Telegram channel.
"So it is that since the start of the war, the Russian occupiers have destroyed five ice stadiums," a statement read.
The Ukrainian Ice Hockey Federation added that the other venues destroyed by the war are the Druzhba venue in Donetsk, arenas in Mariupol and Melitopol and the Ice Palace in Sievierodonetsk.

Lilia A

Bravo ATP and WTA!
Neutral tennis players are so neutral. An their fans are even more neutral

This is, among many other reasons, why I don't think they should be allowed back, flag or no flag, neutral status or not. Because even if an athlete personally doesn't support the genocide, there will be buttholes who will use the media coverage to pull stunts like that.

Hedwig

Antique member
what is great though - I was always bitter about Atlanta 1996 in gymnastics and the great Russian team not winning in a (what I thought then) unfair competition.

Now I am happy 🙃

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina made this instagram post in support of banning Russia and Belarus from the Olympics. Some of the replies though....

airgelaal

USA Boxing to skip world championships, escalating sport’s global issues​

The IOC repeatedly has scolded IBA President Umar Kremlev for questionable elections, a failure to clean up alleged judging issues and financial irregularities, as well as Kremlev’s apparent attempts to move away from Olympic boxing in hopes of controlling many of the world’s professional boxing organizations.

airgelaal

Asli

Another vague statement from the IOC:

War in Ukraine - one year on

(snip) For this reason, the IOC sanctioned the Russian and Belarusian states and governments, who are solely responsible for this war, in an unprecedented way: no international sports events organised in Russia and Belarus; no flag, anthems or other national symbols whatsoever displayed; and no government or state officials accredited for any international sports events.

These sanctions were put in place in February 2022 and were then reinforced, further strengthened and confirmed by the recent Olympic Summit on 9 December 2022. They remain firmly in place.

So it's still unclear whether Russian and Belorussian athletes will be allowed to compete at the Olympics as individual athletes.

Since no ban is mentioned except on flags and anthems, for the moment it looks more likely that they will be allowed to compete. :(

What a joke, when Russia even breached the olympic truce last year! :rolleyes:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I won't be surprised if the IOC still believes in Santa Claus 🤦‍♀️
Hey, I believe in Santa Claus! I also believe Russian and Belarus athletes should not compete at the Olympics.

If they are allowed to compete while at war, others should refuse to go.
They will. I can't see Ukrainian athletes attending even if no one else boycotts.

Allowing Russian athletes is essentially picking Russia over Ukraine.

Asli

They will. I can't see Ukrainian athletes attending even if no one else boycotts.

The absence of Ukrainian athletes would only benefit Russia. I hope Ukrainian athletes attend, proudly represent their country and have their voices heard, whatever the IOC's decision.

It looks like at least Russian athletes won't be allowed to compete under the Russian Olympic Committee's flag as they have done after the doping scandal.

Winnipeg

Again, what country are they representing under a white flag. An Olympic competitor must be a citizen of the country they represent. How can you be a citizen of a white flag?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Again, what country are they representing under a white flag. An Olympic competitor must be a citizen of the country they represent. How can you be a citizen of a white flag?
USFS says you have to be a member of a club to compete in qualifying events. But they do let people be Individual Members. I see it as the same thing. There have been "refugee" teams in the past made up of athletes whose countries are in turmoil so they had to leave them and I am perfectly okay with that.

I believe the actual rule is that you can't compete for a country you aren't a citizen of. If you are not competing for any country then the citizenship issue is moot.

Winnipeg

I guess that explains it. Thanks for the clarification.

Notwithstanding, I think they should not be allowed to compete in an international competition/organization which espouses certain values that I believe exclude unprovoked war against another country. While at war, those countries who have provoked the war should be excluded. Just my opinion. I agree with the poster that indicated how could Ukrainain athletes compete against Russian athletes given the situation and yet their country had no fault in the matter. It is just not right but then again, the whole situation is just not right.

airgelaal

This is the problem that, unfortunately, many do not understand. My friends who were forced to go abroad tell me that russians are often invited to rallies in support of Ukraine. After all, it's Putin's war, not ordinary people. But my friends, especially those who have experienced the worst, simply physically cannot be near them. My friends do not want to think that this russians can support the war, that their relatives or friends could shoot at them. This is a serious psychological trauma that affects the physical condition.
The world of sports is not as big as it seems. Athletes know each other well. And Ukrainian athletes are well aware of how their russian "colleagues" feel about the war. It is real psychological abuse to force them to compete with the russians.

Dobre

FIG has voted today to extend the ban on Russian & Belarussian gymnasts, "until further notice". It keeps them out of Europeans in April, making it impossible for them to qualify for team events in Paris 2024.
I am out of the loop on gymnastics qualification requirements these days. How is Europeans used to qualify for the team event at the Olympics?

Sylvia

TBD
Russian and Belarusian athletes will be allowed to return to competing in International Fencing Federation (FIE) events, following a decision at today's Extraordinary Congress held online.
This is set to become effective from the second half of April 2023, in time for the Fencing World Championships in Milan in July.
A decision on whether both countries' athletes can compete under their own flag will depend on International Olympic Committee recommendations.
The vote to allow Russian and Belarusian fencers to compete in individual competitions "in compliance with conditions of neutrality and individual eligibility" was comfortably passed by 89 to 46, with one abstention.
Russian and Belarusian teams were allowed to return by 85 votes to 51, with three abstentions, while officials were permitted to attend FIE events by 88 votes to 48, with two abstentions.
Two attempts from the Ukrainian Fencing Federation to block the move failed to pass.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I am out of the loop on gymnastics qualification requirements these days. How is Europeans used to qualify for the team event at the Olympics?
In order to be in the team competition at Worlds, the team had to have competed either in (I think) the World Cup series or their continental Championship- for Russia, that would be Europeans.

And then from that, the rest of the qualifiers for Paris come from the top 9 placements at Worlds of teams who have not already qualified.

If Russia isn't at Europeans, there's no way under these rules to get into Paris as a team.

airgelaal

No wonder...
The invasion of Ukraine also led to Uzbek-born Russian oligarch Alisher Usmanov temporarily stepping aside as FIE President after the European Union imposed sanctions on him, and Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) President Stanislav Pozdnyakov being removed from his position at the head of the European Fencing Confederation.

"From the point of view of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC), we, being citizens of the country, consider service to the motherland is an honourable duty and an honourable duty of every citizen, including members of national teams," Pozdnyakov said

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information