Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lara111

Thanks airgelaal. I knew he was Ukrainian born but I didn’t realise he still held a Ukrainian passport. From the interview below I assumed he held only a Russian one.

No wonder his GF was probably supper jealous.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
He might also have a good future with another Russian partner. Not everyone thrives on being away from family and/or their significant other. Neither Kostner nor Grassl stayed in the US long, saying they missed their family, and Kostner's partner at the time was in Europe.

If they'd been told, like in the pre-ban days, "You're going to Zoueva/Linichuk/whoever in the US, take it or leave it"," he'd have had a decision to make. He could have always changed his mind during the season, because he tried it and didn't like it and/or his personal situation had changed, but it would have been unlikely for them to have the fluid back and forth training situation they had recently, and being able to suggest "Let's just stay here and train ourselves," and "I'll just say we're not going to Russian Nationals" back in the pre-pandemic day. The Russian Fed would probably have split them up if he tried that.

airgelaal

Thanks airgelaal. I knew he was Ukrainian born but I didn’t realise he still held a Ukrainian passport. From the interview below I assumed he held only a Russian one.

I'm sure he has a Ukrainian passport. It's more useful for visas. Even big fans of putin did not hesitate to get Ukrainian passports in order to travel around Europe without visas.

bladesofgorey

Translation of a Russian TV interview with Shcherbakova:

So can we finally stop with the "she's just genetically built that way" to excuse the extreme dieting enforced within this group?:

"In our group, they no longer monitor nutrition, but weight. Every day weighing before the second workout. We adjust to the competition - it's like a competitive rental, and it is desirable to be in the same weight all the time.

I probably don't have a tendency to be overweight. Until a certain age, I was the happiest in the group - I was the last one to be weighed. The whole group was weighed, but I was not alone: what is the point of weighing it? They started weighing me in my first adult season, and usually they start at 10-12 years old."

"Now I can only remember how I didn’t sweat, how much I ate, drank ... Now there will be so many experiences: you can’t drink a lot, and if you also eat salty ...

In the second adult season, I changed, matured - I began to monitor nutrition. Then it was no longer possible to eat as much as you wanted, because it was reflected on the scales. I just had to follow the diet - quite adequately, I could afford something, but not in huge quantities. It happened that I gained a little after the weekend - which means you need to come early, dress warmly and lose weight somewhere on the simulator."

"My maximum troubles about food are the Olympic season, when I weighed myself a hundred times a day, I watched every gram. But I have no regrets - the result was. I don’t know if he would have been if I didn’t treat training so responsibly, didn’t follow my diet so much. Such an adult attitude, at the Olympics itself, too.

There were workouts for half an hour a day. If we weren’t so responsible, we could rest for days on end, eat in a 24-hour canteen ... Therefore, self-control was very important. During the Olympic season, I tortured myself with some diets and restrictions."

This is textbook "Siri show me what an eating disorder is" as well as "Siri show me the conditions that best create disordered eating in athletes"

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
russian figure skating fed published the list of participants for Russia-China games.
Does it mean China is not participating the ISU competitions because they want to participate the Russian events instead?

Sylvia

TBD
December 8, 2022: https://fsrussia.ru/news/novosti/so...-iii-rossijsko-kitajskikh-molodezhnykh-igrakh

The composition of Russian figure skaters for participation in the III Russian-Chinese Youth Games

On December 14-20, 2022, China will host the III Winter Russian-Chinese Youth Games. 2 sports couples, 2 dance couples and 6 single skaters (3 boys and 3 girls) will take part in the figure skating competitions from Russia.

Line-up:

Dancing on ice: Anna Kolomenskaya - Artem Frolov, Anna Shcherbakova [not the Olympic gold medalist ;)] - Egor Goncharov.

Pairs: Elizaveta Osokina - Artem Gritsaenko, Ekaterina Chikmareva - Matvey Yanchenkov.

Boys: Vladislav Dikidzhi, Nikolai Ugozhaev, Grigory Fedorov.

Girls : Ekaterina Anisimova, Elizaveta Kulikova, Taisiya Shcherbinina.

The competition is attended by junior athletes who compete according to the program of candidates for the master of sports according to the ISU system. The history of the Russian-Chinese Youth Games dates back to 2006, when summer sports competitions started. In 2016, the first winter Russian-Chinese youth games were held in Harbin, where Russian figure skaters won 7 medals (3 gold, 3 silver and one bronze). In 2018, the second Winter Youth Russian-Chinese Games were held in Ufa, where our skaters won 9 medals (4 gold, 4 silver and 1 bronze).

Competitions are held alternately in each country every two years.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
russian figure skating fed published the list of participants for Russia-China games.
Does it mean China is not participating the ISU competitions because they want to participate the Russian events instead?
Or the ISU doesn't know/realize this is happening.

I do wonder what their response to this competition will be...

On My Own

It's indeed happening and the rumored Chinese lineup includes Jiaying Cheng and dance teams Yufei Lin / Zijian Gao & Tong Liu / Quanshuo Ge.
Where did you see it btw?

That is very disappointing to know, and I can't possibly say they don't deserve a reaction.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Where did you see it btw?

That is very disappointing to know, and I can't possibly say they don't deserve a reaction.

There are quite a few fans of Russian figure skating on Weibo and their posts are the ones you should look at for this competition. The rumor I saw is from the comment section of their posts.

That's all I can say about this. I won't watch this thing and don't feel like commenting further.

On My Own

There are quite a few fans of Russian figure skating on Weibo and their posts are the ones you should look at for this competition. The rumor I saw is from the comment section of their posts.

That's all I can say about this. I won't watch this thing and don't feel like commenting further.
Yeah, I can't possibly watch this either...

raruki

This stupid propaganda shitshow has scheduled way before the war.
And I don't think it is related to the poor participation of Chinese athletes in ISU competitions.
Chinese sports authority set very limited quotas for athletes in minor sports because of the covid after Olympics, it severely affected participation in ISU competitions because it was hard and also expensive to travel abroad without the quotas guaranteed by the Chinese sports authority.

Karen-W

But I have heard that Xi and some top officials in the Russian government might attend this shitshow,
China gonna make this wholething grand :sleep:
I'm really curious what the international federations (like the ISU) are going to do with respect to any Chinese athletes that participate in this event.

raruki

I'm really curious what the international federations (like the ISU) are going to do with respect to any Chinese athletes that participate in this event.
I don't think they will say anything unless IOC wants to speak up and take action.

On My Own

I think the most I'd expect is them canceling the Chinese events scheduled for next season and beyond, which frankly would be better than going through the entire drama again, anyway.

On My Own

Chinese sports authority set very limited quotas for athletes in minor sports because of the covid after Olympics, it severely affected participation in ISU competitions because it was hard and also expensive to travel abroad without the quotas guaranteed by the Chinese sports authority.
Well it also did send participants to short track. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_ISU_Short_Track_Speed_Skating_World_Cup#Montreal_28-30_October_2022 So it was never about "Chinese athletes not being sent as solidarity with Russia" or whatever somebody was bringing up, with all the figure skaters who were also sent.

So I would guess they have reason to believe they won't have repercussions for the authority as a whole. If it's Cheng instead of An, it probably means they are being cautious in case the ISU takes action against the participants. ☹️
But I have heard that Xi and some top officials in the Russian government might attend this shitshow,
The only good thing he ever did was ask for hunny.

Karen-W

Rus nationals 22/12
The list of participants
and, apparently, Kolyada is out
I'm not the greatest at reading the Cyrillic alphabet (I can usually pick out the names of skaters I'm already familiar with though, lol), and myself I missed it earlier, but did we know that DavSmo wouldn't be competing at Russian Nationals due to him waiting on his US green card still? Or was that still up in the air before the official entrants list came out today?

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Kolyada's chronic sinusitis has been an issue all year. I suspect he's done. I'm so sorry that he never really reached his incredible potential for one reason or another. :( Which goes to show, potential isn't enough. Among the men, Aliev and Gummenik have had really good R Cup events thus far, along with Semenenko.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
I'm not the greatest at reading the Cyrillic alphabet (I can usually pick out the names of skaters I'm already familiar with though, lol), and myself I missed it earlier, but did we know that DavSmo wouldn't be competing at Russian Nationals due to him waiting on his US green card still? Or was that still up in the air before the official entrants list came out today?
He said so in Bobrova's interview. Not only due to him waiting for his US green card but also because his family received a draft note for him in August-September

Kolyada's chronic sinusitis has been an issue all year. I suspect he's done. I'm so sorry that he never really reached his incredible potential for one reason or another. :( Which goes to show, potential isn't enough. Among the men, Aliev and Gummenik have had really good R Cup events thus far, along with Semenenko.
I suspect he will not retire officially till the end of the war.

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
I said exactly the same to a friend.
Kolyada breaks my heart even more than Abt.
These two should open a skating school together.

alj5

No Panfilova & Rylov in pairs? I was really hoping to see them build on their junior success....many seasons ago now. :-(

rfisher

Let the skating begin
No Panfilova & Rylov in pairs? I was really hoping to see them build on their junior success....many seasons ago now. :-(
He had an extensive shoulder surgery then she broke her foot. Hopefully, they will be back next season.

Bigbird

Liza Khud, IMHO, looks emaciated and out of sorts mentally. She had two falls in the tournament. Are she and Yegor not training properly, will they break up or is she injured? It just looks rather strange.

Amy L

Liza Khud, IMHO, looks emaciated and out of sorts mentally. She had two falls in the tournament. Are she and Yegor not training properly, will they break up or is she injured? It just looks rather strange.
She's always been super emotional, but she was completely OTT even for her. I have no idea what's going on with them! They won Nationals anyways and don't have much in the way of direct competition at the moment, so I don't think they'll break up unless there are major issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information