Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vagabond

I agree that these are exceptional times. However, the Russian Federation is a big source of revenue for the ISU, so I'd imagine that the ISU would be reluctant to do anything to piss Russia off now as they would have one eye on the future when (if) Russia competes again internationally.
(I'm just playing devil's advocate here, I am hoping you are right!)
The Russian Federation was a big source of revenue for the ISU. Switzerland has imposed sanctions on businesses dealing with Russia, so there should not be any revenue at all coming in from Russia to the ISU, and there may not be any for a long time to come.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The Russian Federation was a big source of revenue for the ISU. Switzerland has imposed sanctions on businesses dealing with Russia, so there should not be any revenue at all coming in from Russia to the ISU, and there may not be any for a long time to come.
Which may be a big problem for the ISU as there are no other countries that will make up the loss.

soogar

Interview with Tikhonov on T&M staying in and competing.

I would say that there is a different trend: at the Skate America tournament in the sports pairs tournament, the second place was taken by Deanna Stellato, an athlete who came second at the Junior World Championships among girls in 2000, and came to pair skating after a 16-year break in career. Not to mention mother-of-three Zoe Jones, who continues to skate in pairs at 42.

- Yes, but, if we talk seriously, finding motivation to do something new, especially at the global level, is really not easy. And every year it just gets harder. But Zhenya and Vova certainly have strength. It even sometimes surprises me that the guys after such a long career have so much desire to fight and prove.

- In my opinion, the Games in Beijing breathed a completely different mood into this couple. It seems that only there Tarasova and Morozov truly opened up and felt their relevance. And how to get rid of the constant raid of fatigue.

- I partly agree, this really happened . Moreover, if Vova always knew his own worth, then Zhenya remained on the sidelines. We have been busy for quite a long time just trying to pull her true essence out. She's beautiful, she just sometimes forgot about it. That's what I had to remember. And now this awareness of one's own value has finally come in full measure.

Plushenko talking about his school.

Cherub721

YEAH!
I would say that there is a different trend: at the Skate America tournament in the sports pairs tournament, the second place was taken by Deanna Stellato, an athlete who came second at the Junior World Championships among girls in 2000, and came to pair skating after a 16-year break in career. Not to mention mother-of-three Zoe Jones, who continues to skate in pairs at 42.

I just looked up the Skate America pairs results and :rofl:

Cherub721

YEAH!
It was a ridiculously weak event, but Stellato and Deschamps have improved x1000. Really good programs and a really good competition for them. To almost beat the reigning World Champions, at their own home event, says a lot about just how good they were IMO.
Or how weak the world champions are... But no, the part I quoted was about Stellato but I like that team fine and didn't mean to snark on them. It was more that it made me look up the results and I'm :eek: at the field and the scores. Last year's Finlandia and Golden Spin were stronger than this. Talk about a fake GP.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Or how weak the world champions are... But no, the part I quoted was about Stellato but I like that team fine and didn't mean to snark on them. It was more that it made me look up the results and I'm :eek: at the field and the scores. Last year's Finlandia and Golden Spin were stronger than this. Talk about a fake GP.
Gosh - care to share the actual results page of the Russian FakeGP? Because there doesn't seem to be one, so it's ridiculously hard to review scores and protocols and compare which GP was stronger across all 4 disciplines. Sure, pairs is going to be weak on the ISU's RealGP, but I'm quite positive that the men and dance were much stronger events in Norwood than in Moscow. And it's impossible to take the Russian FakeGP women's event seriously when they allow drug cheats to compete. :shuffle: I dunno... Makes one wonder whether all the Russian pairs have a :grandpa:.

soogar

I just looked up the Skate America pairs results and :rofl:
That's not my quote- that's the interviewer's question to Tikhonov. I'm glad that the Russian media is taking notice of Deanna's achievement and the other competitor who is still competing at 42. Tikhonov himself skated pairs for a long time. If T&M can take inspiration in others perservering and apply it to themselves, more power to them. Look at gymnastics and how respected Chusovitina is by everyone, including Simone Biles. She's still competive but she's not at the very top, but it's her perserverance and commitment to getting better that earns respect.

Hedwig

Antique member
Pairs is weak at the moment. But it isn’t as if we did not had this before. Remember Euros field with barely ten pairs?
Ingo Steuer once tried to push German fed some 15 years past to push pair skating since there are so few competitors that it is comparatively easy to get good placings.
This is more a general problem with that discipline which is very difficult and dangerous to train in normal rinks and limited ice time which is then not given to pairs who need so much more space.

The other three disciples at SA were fabulous, especially for being so early in the season. But no one is forced to watch it like I am surely not watching the Russian fake GP. Free choice and all.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Gosh - care to share the actual results page of the Russian FakeGP? Because there doesn't seem to be one, so it's ridiculously hard to review scores and protocols and compare which GP was stronger across all 4 disciplines. Sure, pairs is going to be weak on the ISU's RealGP, but I'm quite positive that the men and dance were much stronger events in Norwood than in Moscow. And it's impossible to take the Russian FakeGP women's event seriously when they allow drug cheats to compete. :shuffle: I dunno... Makes one wonder whether all the Russian pairs have a :grandpa:.
There are results pages. Just go to the event page. If you don't want to watch the event don t, but there seems to be a lot of interest in the Russian event from people who like to repeatedly declare how uninterested they are. The article wasn't criticizing the pair event in NA, it was about how Stellato is still skating and doing well, and Tarasova/Morozov could continue if they chose even though both are now in their 30s.

Last edited:

Amy L

Tarasova/Morozov could continue if they chose even though both are now in their 30s.
Vladimir turns 30 on November 1. Evgenia doesn't turn 30 until the end of 2024. They don't seem super inspired right now, but I don't see how the fake GPs are that inspiring to anyone. I think for T/M especially doing the fake GPs are the difference between being funded or being unemployed.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

OMG I am rarely ever in this thread but I can see why. Lol

if you think that was a fake Grand Prix at state America I can’t even imagine for one second what you would call a Russian Men’s Field anywhere. A fake fake fake fake event? Lol you comedy

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Vladimir turns 30 on November 1. Evgenia doesn't turn 30 until the end of 2024. They don't seem super inspired right now, but I don't see how the fake GPs are that inspiring to anyone. I think for T/M especially doing the fake GPs are the difference between being funded or being unemployed.
No doubt. Evgenia is newly married and may be thinking of starting a family, but employment is a reason many skaters continue to skate. They don't know what else to do or there may not be other opportunities. Unless she decides to help Fedor with his teams, I don't see her coaching, and who knows about Vladimir's plans as he seldom talks about them. Pair teams require 2 people who want to compete. When one is done and the other isn't, it's a problem. Just ask Savchenko

Miezekatze

Pairs is weak at the moment. But it isn’t as if we did not had this before. Remember Euros field with barely ten pairs?
Ingo Steuer once tried to push German fed some 15 years past to push pair skating since there are so few competitors that it is comparatively easy to get good placings.
This is more a general problem with that discipline which is very difficult and dangerous to train in normal rinks and limited ice time which is then not given to pairs who need so much more space.

The other three disciples at SA were fabulous, especially for being so early in the season. But no one is forced to watch it like I am surely not watching the Russian fake GP. Free choice and all.
And Stellato and Dudek would still have been fabulous if the pairs behind them had been stronger. They already were fabulous live at Nebelhorn Trophy :cheer2:

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
And Stellato and Dudek would still have been fabulous if the pairs behind them had been stronger. They already were fabulous live at Nebelhorn Trophy :cheer2:

IIRC I think of the eight Pairs teams at skate America only two of them were still standing come October. I think it was just the world champions and the Crawfoods that was still on the roster since June/July?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The 2nd fakeGP:
Petrosian, Samodelkina, Trusova, Renata Gubasheva, Sofia Zakharova, Veronika Malysheva, Anastasia Molchanova, Anastasia Morozova, Daria Tretiakova, Viktoria Fedianina, Sofia Chaplyga, Veronika Yametova.

Gumennik, Kondtrauk, Yerokhov, Andrei Anisimov, Maksim Varakin, Egor Karnauhov, Kirill Kelmanov, Artyom Kovalev, Daniil Postarnakov.

Boikova/Kozlovski, Karina Akopova/Nikita Rakhmanin, Ekaterina Geinish/Dmitrii Chigirev, Anastasia Muhortova/Dmitrii Evgeniev, Ekaterina Chikmareva/Matvei Yanchenkov, Maya Shegai/Igor Shamshurov.

Khudaberdieva/Bazin, Aleksandra Butorina/Nikita Sborik, Aleksandra Prokopets/Aleksandr Vaskovich, Alisa Krainukova/Semen Netsev, Irina Havronina/Dario Chirizano

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Last edited:

soogar

It doesn't help that they are still skating to last year's program. The article said that Vladimir wanted to do a new long program and it made it seem as if he was the one pushing for them to continue. I think it would be a better idea if they got a new long program because it looks kind of tired that they have the same boring program while all their competitors got new programs. They already have a good memory and moment tied with that program and they should create a new moment. They also seem to be doing a lot of publicity and making event appearances to capitalize on their highest finish in Beijing. They also did a lot of shows which gave them a late start. Assuming Russia gets reinstated by Worlds, which may happen, they only have one slot available for a pair so this "Fake GP" is very important because it seems they are hanging around to win that World Championship that has eluded them.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
It doesn't help that they are still skating to last year's program. The article said that Vladimir wanted to do a new long program and it made it seem as if he was the one pushing for them to continue. I think it would be a better idea if they got a new long program because it looks kind of tired that they have the same boring program while all their competitors got new programs. They already have a good memory and moment tied with that program and they should create a new moment. They also seem to be doing a lot of publicity and making event appearances to capitalize on their highest finish in Beijing. They also did a lot of shows which gave them a late start. Assuming Russia gets reinstated by Worlds, which may happen, they only have one slot available for a pair so this "Fake GP" is very important because it seems they are hanging around to win that World Championship that has eluded them.
Maybe Evegnia was busy planning her wedding and didn't have time to learn a new program? Don't know that that is the case, but it's certainly possible. But, with the young teams and Boi/Koz and Mish/Gal still having something to prove, it may be a mistake.

soogar

Maybe Evegnia was busy planning her wedding and didn't have time to learn a new program? Don't know that that is the case, but it's certainly possible. But, with the young teams and Boi/Koz and Mish/Gal still having something to prove, it may be a mistake.
They were doing Averbukh's show in August I believe and had to learn a new show program. They learned this new Short Program afterward in record time and it's a lovely program with all the elements hitting the highlights of the music. I think after Zhenya got married, they seem to relate to one another more warmly in their programs. I imagine it must be uncomfortable for those two, and it looks more like him, to skate to romantic music when they no longer have romantic feelings. This new short program works because because it has a more neutral feel. The other one is romantic and in Beijing, even though it was skated well, he didn't really look at her directly in those moments where they had these close looks choreographed. It looked awkward on his end. I prefer Moskvina's pairs because at least she's not packaging them as romantic couples on the ice. I also think their programs have more energy.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I prefer Moskvina's pairs because at least she's not packaging them as romantic couples on the ice. I also think their programs have more energy.

She does like energy. Kavaguti/Smirnov's Manfred Symphony will always be my epitome of energy, especially when Smirnov goes mad and stomps around the ice. :lol: And, it's a good example of how energy doesn't mean frantic.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I love reading the delusion that Russian skaters will be back by Worlds. I guess some folks don’t read the news. If anything, Ukraine’s allies are even more united than they were last winter, and neither the IOC nor the ISU can afford to alienate the US, Canada, the UK, almost all of Europe especially former Soviet colonies and occupieds, plus Australia and Japan.

soogar

She does like energy. Kavaguti/Smirnov's Manfred Symphony will always be my epitome of energy, especially when Smirnov goes mad and stomps around the ice. :lol: And, it's a good example of how energy doesn't mean frantic.
I really appreciate the way Moskvina packages her couples and the way she showcases her male skaters and she actually has ideas that are not related to romance. I think the only "romantic" pair she really had was B&S. Even Liebestraum seems to be more about the idea of love than actual love between Artur and Natalia. I really liked Snowstorm and Time as well even though that program was criticized. The uptick in the end with the bells ringing and emphasis on Russian culture was a nice contrast to all the boring ballads everyone else was skating to- other than her other couple B&K.

barbarafan

The SP also played a factor. Akatieva fell on the 3A attempt and Valieva was clean. That gave Valieva a little cushion
to be or not to be.....that is the question......Is this Valieva on drugs again. Obviously there is no-one in Russia who would report it. They would just switch samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information