2022-23 ISU Grand Prix Assignments are published

Stephanie

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
😳 I know he just competed this past weekend, but I would have chosen Maxim Naumov all the same. Plus the event's at his home rink!

ETA: Dinh Tran now has a bye to nationals (3 GP/JGP/CS rule: Skate America, Lombardia, and Finlandia)

That's too bad about Eric withdrawing. :( I was looking forward to seeing him skate again at SA, although I've already seen him twice this fall (Cranberry and U.S. Classic). He's quite special.

Agree that Naumov would have been a better choice, IMO anyhow.
I agree with both of you. Naumov has more than earned it, based on his Budapest score alone. His score from that event is 36 points higher than Tran's from Finlandia the week before. If the USFS wanted to give Tran a bye to Nationals, they could have assigned him to IceChallenge Graz the same week as Sectionals.

Also, Sjoberg's withdrawal from SkAm means he should be off the Alternates list.

Men's Alternates refresher -
Men - 1 open spot SkAm, 1 open spot GPdF (note JPN is maxed out at MKJW, NHK, & Espoo)
Miyake (SkAm)
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Shimada (MKJW)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Orzel (SCI)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Britschgi (SCI)

Next to be added:
Carrillo (SkAm)
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Sjoberg (SkAm - withdrawn)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Sylvia

TBD
Replying here:
I'd wager a guess that the USFS made the decision last week, before Naumov competed at Budapest Trophy.
@kirkbiggestfan asked in the Kiss & Cry section why Maxim Naumov was not selected to replace Sjoberg and, from what I've heard, Eric was injured last week (so :( for him).

ETA that Naumov got a late start to his competitive season - his first and only NQS comp. was in mid-September.

Last edited:

Karen-W

And are Smirnova/Siianytsia in a situation that might allow them to represent the US at the GP Espoo Finland event in late November?

I'm confused by your question. They were assigned to GP Espoo when the assignments first came out. Presuming they are healthy in another 6 week, then they will certainly make it to that event. The bigger problem is that now, due to their withdrawal from SkAm, they are back to having only 2 international assignments and don't have a bye to Nats. Additionally, they didn't compete in any of the NQS events this summer, so I'm not sure what the USFS will do on that front, but that's a discussion for the US Pairs thread.

US may be testing out pairs, S/S haven’t done well over the off season (injury???), I think it’s a good decision to give M/M a GP experience
The Mokhovs placed even lower than S/S at Finlandia a couple weeks ago. Additionally. S/S withdrew from Nebelhorn because of a minor injury they were recuperating from, so my guess is the injury has flared up again.

It's a great opportunity for the Mokhovs, and I'm very happy for them. Hopefully, they will be able to bounce back from a disappointing Finlandia competition. Additionally, this earns them a bye to Nats (US Classic, Finlandia, SkAm).

jlai

Question everything
😳 I know he just competed this past weekend, but I would have chosen Maxim Naumov all the same. Plus the event's at his home rink!

ETA: Dinh Tran now has a bye to nationals (3 GP/JGP/CS rule: Skate America, Lombardia, and Finlandia)
Didn’t he just compete last week? Considering how late this is, I don’t blame usfs for not having enough time to change plans. (Though the replacement announcement just came out, I suspect the planning happened before then)

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Karen-W

My q is just about S/S still being fit to compete at the sixth GP final (Espoo). They’re still on this list:

This is still the GP Assignments thread.
There is no reason to withdraw them 6 weeks before the competition. Give it a few weeks. If they don't compete at the US Pairs Final to qualify for Nats, then I wouldn't be surprised if they do wind up withdrawing from Espoo, but we'll see.

Karen-W

Update to the Pairs alternates list -

Pairs - no spots currently open (potentially 1 at Espoo if Smirnova/Siianytsia are unable to compete by then)
Holichenko/Darenskiy UKR (55) (Espoo)
Crafoord/Crafoord SWE (63) (SkAm)
Osipova/Epstein NED (69) (none)
Efimova Blommaert GER 186.17 (SCI)
Plazas/Fernandez USA 166.25 (SkAm)
Mokhova/Mokhov USA 161.29 (SkAm)
Valesi/Piazza ITA 150.96 (SkAm)
Yunoki/Ichihashi JPN 140.46 (none)
Piegad/Strekalin FRA 138.36 (GPdF)
Wessenberg/Eisenach 138.22 USA (none)

Karen-W

Aurelie FAULA / Theo BELLE are still listed in the ISU's Pairs grid that was updated today, Oct. 18, but their names are no longer in the entries list for GP France: https://results.isu.org/events/gpfra2022_Pairs.htm
Wellll, based on how they skated at French Masters the weekend before last, I'd have pulled them if I was the FFSG - they barely cracked 100 in their total score, and while host GP picks aren't required to meet the total score minimum, that was their first competition and not pretty by any stretch. I figured that a final decision wouldn't be made until after this weekend's Trophee Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur, where they're scheduled to compete. Either way, I'm rather glad they're no longer listed - and I really hope that the FFSG doesn't replace them with Keriven/Bouvart (who also barely cracked 100 at French Masters), but instead goes with another team on the Alternates list. I love Efimova/Blommaert and Plazas/Fernandez, but I'd love to see Osipova/Epstein invited - spread the GP love to as many teams as possible!

Karen-W

For some reason, I forgot to mark off Miyake & Shimada, so I'm updating this again:

Men's Alternates refresher -
Men - 1 open spot SkAm, 1 open spot GPdF (note JPN is maxed out at every event except SCI, where they have 2 men)
Miyake (SkAm & GPdF)
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Shimada (SkAm & MKJW)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Orzel (SCI)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Britschgi (SCI)
Carrillo (SkAm)

Next to be added:
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
There are no open spots in the men’s field now, unless I’ve missed something that isn’t reflected in the rosters.

Karen-W

There are no open spots in the men’s field now, unless I’ve missed something that isn’t reflected in the rosters.
No, there aren't. But, I forgot to cross Miyake and Shimada off the Alternates list when they were added to GPdF and SkAm respectively to replace Kagiyama last Friday. 🤣💐

Karen-W

And the USFS Int'l Assignments page shows McBeath/Bartholomay as withdrawn from SCI next week as of today...

Crossing my fingers that they'll be replaced by either of our two pairs teams based in Michigan - Plazas/Fernandez and the Mokhovs.

Karen-W

The grid hasn't been updated yet, but the direct link to the pairs entries shows that Plazas/Fernandez have been added to SCI next week!!! I'm so happy for them!

Pairs - 1 open spot at GPdF (potentially 1 at Espoo if Smirnova/Siianytsia are unable to compete by then)
Plazas/Fernandez USA 166.25 (SkAm & SCI)
Mokhova/Mokhov USA 161.29 (SkAm)

Karen-W

USFS Int'l Assignments page is showing the Mokhovs have been added to GPdF - neither the grid nor the entries list on the ISU website show this yet.

One other thing I've found curious the past few weeks is that the USFS Int'l Assignments page does NOT show Kate Wang as assigned to SCI. I'm not sure why the oversight, since she's been on the grid for a couple weeks now.

Pairs - 0 spots currently open (potentially 1 open spot at MKJW & 1 open spot at Espoo - McBeath/Bartholomay & Smirnova/Siianytsia withdrew from their first GP assignments)
Mokhova/Mokhov USA 161.29 (SkAm & GPdF)

ETA - the Mokhovs are now on the GPdF entries list (grid still not updated) - https://results.isu.org/events/gpfra2022_Pairs.htm

Last edited:

Karen-W

One Grand Prix down, FIVE to go!

Looking over the remaining GP assignments, there are still a few question marks - skaters who have yet to compete (even domestically), so we might have a few withdrawals coming up. I'm deliberately not including skaters/teams whose status is known, information about is very limited, or they haven't been entered/withdrawn from any Challengers (Gilles/Poirier, Carreira/Ponomarenko, Wang/Liu, Peng/Jin, Jin).

Men -
Aymoz (GPdF & Espoo) - ankle injury at French Masters competition (my guess is he would be replaced by Landry le May at GPdF as a host pick)
Hiwatashi (MKJW & NHK) - shoulder injury caused him to withdraw from Lombardia

Women -
Matsuike (GPdF) - withdrew from SkAm "due to medical reasons" per announcer
Tennell (MKJW & Espoo) - ankle injury caused her to withdraw from Japan Open & Trophee Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur
Peltonen (Espoo) - has not competed yet this fall, withdrawn from Budapest Trophy original entries list (would be replaced by a Finnish host pick - Janna Jyrkinen or Oona Ounasvuori)
Saarinen (Espoo) - has not competed yet this fall, entered to compete at IceChallenge CS in a few weeks (would be replaced by a Finnish host pick - Janna Jyrkinen or Oona Ounasvuori)

Pairs -
Miura/Kihara (SCI & NHK) - she is in recovery mode from an ankle injury sustained in July while on tour, only resumed training throws in late September (probably replaced by Yunoki/Ichihashi as a host pick for NHK if they have to withdraw)
Safina/Berulava (GPdF & Espoo) - have not competed this fall, withdrawn from Finlandia original entries list
McBeath/Bartholomay (MKJW) - have not competed since they debuted their SP at a summer domestic comp, withdrawn from Nebelhorn and SkAM
Smirnova/Siianytsia (Espoo) - competed at Finlandia, withdrawn from both Nebelhorn and SkAm - they need to compete at US Pairs Final in 2.5 weeks to qualify for US Nationals

Dance -
Kazakova/Reviya (GPdF & MKJW) - have not competed this fall, withdrawn from Finlandia & Trophee Metropole Nice Cote d'Azur

danafan

Canadian ladies über
I guess SC doesn’t have to invite another woman but it’s a shame to waste the spot.
The last time SC was held in Missisauga there were only 11 women after Mallet withdrew at the last minute. Is it too late for Canada to add another Canadian skater? LMAO I just made a joke! :D

Karen-W

As of today, Kate Wang is off the Skate Canada list and Mikhail Shaidorov is off the list for France.
I'm bummed that Wang isn't going to SCI - I've been concerned she wouldn't be competing since she's never been listed on the USFS' Int'l Assignments page for this assignment.

The last time SC was held in Missisauga there were only 11 women after Mallet withdrew at the last minute. Is it too late for Canada to add another Canadian skater? LMAO I just made a joke! :D

Theoretically, Canada does not have to replace Kate, however, I would be quite surprised if they didn't since there are options on the alternates list who are located in North America. Or, they could invite a Canadian woman, but I doubt they will. Fiona Bombardier is the only one who has scored well enough domestically to warrant consideration and she seems to be competing junior internationally (assigned to the junior comp at IceChallenge in a few weeks).

Kitromilis, Izzo, Ziegler, & Ji are all based in the US.

Women - 1 open spot at SCI (note JPN maxed out at SCI, GPdF, NHK & Espoo; KOR maxed out at SkAm & NHK; USA maxed out at SkAm, MKJW & NHK)
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Ziegler (none)
Ji (NHK)
Serna (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Wang (SCI)
Sauter (MKJW)
Peltonen (Espoo)
Saarinen (Espoo)

FFSG doesn't have to replace Shaidorov either, since we're within the 2 week window of GPdF, however the host feds do seem intent on replacing skaters whenever possible and there are lots of Europe-based men who don't have a 2nd GP yet. Frangipani, Aleksandr Selevko, Zandron, Levandi, Majorov, Britschgi, Starostin, Newberry & Guarino Sabate

Men - 1 open spot GPdF (note JPN is maxed out at every event except SCI, where they have 2 men); potentially 1 open spot at Espoo if Shaidorov is unable to compete
Frangipani (NHK)
A. Selevko (SCI)
S. Lee (GPdF)
Zandron (NHK)
Honda (Espoo)
Orzel (SCI)
Levandi (Espoo)
Majorov (Espoo)
Britschgi (SCI)
Carrillo (SkAm)

Next to be added:
Shmuratko (GPdF)
Starostin (none)
Circelli (MKJW)
Kapeikis (SkAm)
Newberry (MKJW)
Guarino Sabate (none)

Also, the Dance grid was updated today and Makita/Gunara are out of SCI, with Lauriault/LeGac replacing them. Good move by SCI. I'd forgotten that MakGun hadn't competed yet this fall, but figured Canada would replace them at SCI with one of their own teams on the alternates list, which they did.

Dance - current Alternates should another spot open up (note USA maxed out at every event except GPdF where they only have 2 teams; CAN maxed out at SCI & MKJW)
Bratti/Somerville (SCI)
Fabbri/Ayer (MKJW)
Pate/Bye (GPdF)
Lanaghan/Razgulajevs (GPdF)
Janse van Rensburg/Steffan (SkAm)
Lauriault/Le Gac (SkAm & SCI)
Cesanek/Yehorov (SCI)
Lagouge/Caffa (Espoo)
Sales/Wamsteeker (MKJW)
Ling/Wein (none)
Nosovitskaya/Nosovitskiy (SCI)

Next up to be added:
McNamara/Spiridonov (SkAm)
Chen/Sun (none)
Portesi Peroni/Chrastecky (none)
Polibina/Golovishnikov (none)
Ignateva/Szemko (none)

Last edited:

Karen-W

And the official entries list for SCI already shows Ziegler as the replacement for Wang! Maybe the USFS will add her to IceChallenge in a couple weeks so that she has a 3rd int'l (which would give her a bye to Nats).

Women - no spots currently open (note JPN maxed out at SCI, GPdF, NHK & Espoo; KOR maxed out at SkAm & NHK; USA maxed out at SkAm, SCI, MKJW & NHK)
Yun (SkAm)
Wi (NHK)
Park (SkAm)
Yokoi (SCI)
Kitromilis (SkAm)
Paganini (MKJW)
Izzo (MKJW)
Ziegler (SCI)
Ji (NHK)
Serna (GPdF)

Next to be added:
Sauter (MKJW)