2022–23 Canadian Women: News and Updates

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Daleman has a direct bye to nationals with her senior Grand Prix assignments.

carriecmu0503

I wonder why Skate Canada didn't give her the third spot at Skate Canada International, if Alison isn't going to attend. Is it because this would make Kaiya ineligible for Junior Worlds if she did a senior grand prix event?
People compete at junior worlds after having competed at senior worlds all the time. Ilia Malinin won junior worlds a month after competing at senior worlds in 2022.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I wonder why Skate Canada didn't give her the third spot at Skate Canada International, if Alison isn't going to attend. Is it because this would make Kaiya ineligible for Junior Worlds if she did a senior grand prix event?
That seems like an awful lot of pressure to put on a relatively inexperienced competitor (internationally she's had 5 assignments in the last 3 seasons) who has been out of international competition for over a year and who has never competed as a senior internationally.

icedancefan!!

Does two grand prix’s really not get one a bye through at least to Challenge? That seems…unnecessary if so.
It should, but different rules apply for different people lol, so I'm not sure what Skate Ontario/Skate Canada will do. I assume she would not have had to register for the Skate Ontario Sectional Series if she had been given a bye.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
It should, but different rules apply for different people lol, so I'm not sure what Skate Ontario/Skate Canada will do. I assume she would not have had to register for the Skate Ontario Sectional Series if she had been given a bye.
Here is the relevant rule from the Skate Canada website: https://info.skatecanada.ca/index.php/en-ca/rules-of-sport/54-competitions.html#h13-byes

To be considered for a Bye, competitors must register for their Sectional/Regional competitions.

Daleman has a bye to nationals on the basis of her senior grand prix assignment.

Competitors who register for Junior and/or Senior Events at the relevant  Sectionals competition and who have been assigned or qualified as follows will be granted an automatic entry into the Canadian Figure Skating Championships:

• Those who have been assigned by the ISU Grand Prix selection group (or by Skate Canada in the case of home entries to Skate Canada International) to a Senior Grand Prix
  • Those who have been assigned by Skate Canada to a Senior International within seven days of Skate Canada Challenge
  • Those who have qualified for the Junior Grand Prix Final Event

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Sigh...Pereira easily got the 4CC minimum in the short (with a fall) and was close to the worlds minimums. I didn't see her free skate but based on the score it sounds like a disaster and not even close to the 4CC minimum. As it stands now, assuming Schumacher is not skating this season, Canada would not be able to field a full women's team at 4CC in 2023. I really hope they send more skaters out.
Speaking of minimums - I'm curious why Amanda Tobin's score is not on the ISU list (from the 2022 Cranberry Open). Other skaters from that competition are listed. Tobin did get the 4CC minimum in the short program there.

Sylvia

TBD
Speaking of minimums - I'm curious why Amanda Tobin's score is not on the ISU list (from the 2022 Cranberry Open). Other skaters from that competition are listed. Tobin did get the 4CC minimum in the short program there.
Good catch! I'll see what I can find out.

Stephanie

FWIW I've seen it take some time for new (i.e. those without previous tech scores in their division) skaters' scores to show up on the list, I guess because it's an added layer of work or similar. I think it took around 6 months for Katie Shen's Challenge Cup scores to turn up, for example.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
FWIW I've seen it take some time for new (i.e. those without previous tech scores in their division) skaters' scores to show up on the list, I guess because it's an added layer of work or similar. I think it took around 6 months for Katie Shen's Challenge Cup scores to turn up, for example.
Interesting. But I find it peculiar because the Canadian junior women and senior men who competed at Cranberry (who don't even have an ISU bio) have their scores from Cranberry listed. Tobin does have an ISU bio that has her result from the Cranberry event on it.

barbarafan

Interesting. But I find it peculiar because the Canadian junior women and senior men who competed at Cranberry (who don't even have an ISU bio) have their scores from Cranberry listed. Tobin does have an ISU bio that has her result from the Cranberry event on it.
just curious....whose responsibility is it to update the isu minimums list, the isu bio, and the info on the canadian team's writeup on their website?

danafan

Canadian ladies über
YES!! Skate Canada is sending six women to the Ice Challenge event! Dupuis, Miclette and Ruiter to senior and Bombardier, Foster, and Landry in junior. This is great for Landry, who appears to have been added to the NextGen team (based on her very good summer results).

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
YES!! Skate Canada is sending six women to the Ice Challenge event! Dupuis, Miclette and Ruiter to senior and Bombardier, Foster, and Landry in junior. This is great for Landry, who appears to have been added to the NextGen team (based on her very good summer results).

Must admit it this season I think Skate Canada is doing a good job of allowing opportunities for developing skaters.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
Must admit it this season I think Skate Canada is doing a good job of allowing opportunities for developing skaters.
I agree, however I feel a skater like Medland-Spence has been overlooked, despite landing triple triples in the short fairly consistently the last two seasons and having the second highest TES at nationals this year. She just did a good short program at the Barrie event including a triple flip triple combo (not quite clean) and a triple loop. I hope Skate Canada is paying attention.

Karen-W

I agree, however I feel a skater like Medland-Spence has been overlooked, despite landing triple triples in the short fairly consistently the last two seasons and having the second highest TES at nationals this year. She just did a good short program at the Barrie event including a triple flip triple combo (not quite clean) and a triple loop. I hope Skate Canada is paying attention.
There's always Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin...

Karen-W

It is absolute madness for Skate Canada to send Dupuis & Miclette to Ice Challenge Graz to compete as seniors while they send Bombardier there to compete in juniors. And you wonder why the discipline is in complete disarray in Canada.

Karen-W

One would imagine that their coaching teams have some say in what category they'd like to compete in?
Perhaps, but Bombardier seems ready for senior internationally. Going into Nationals, it'd be much better to have her with her senior TES mins so that she can be sent to 4CCs should she finish on the podium.

Colonel Green

I would say that their coaching teams are better-positioned to assess that. If Bombardier is in junior internationally, that is presumably where she wants to be right now.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
One would imagine that their coaching teams have some say in what category they'd like to compete in?
Yes and to be fair the entries for Ice Challenge were due before this weekend and therefore before Bombardier had even skated domestically in a senior event.
I'm definitely pleased with the number of different skaters being given assignments and hopefully there will be more to come with Warsaw Cup and Golden Spin still on the schedule.

screech

Haven't seen the levels or anything yet, but I'm surprised Maddie isn't further ahead of Gabby. IMO Gabby's lutz looked under-rotated (and of course two footed) but Maddie's jumps were big, clean, and flowy throughout (really made me think of Kaetlyn).
That said, I think Maddie's presentation has improved a bit. And well done to Gabby. Hope she can keep it together for the FP.

puglover

I have serious doubts that today’s placements can be sustained.
I totally agree but I, for one, plan to enjoy it while it lasts. I saw Maddie had a 1 point deduction and one of her spins went from a level 4 to level 3. I noticed her hand touched the ice as she came out of the final layback spin. Do you think that is the reason?

honey

Haven't seen the levels or anything yet, but I'm surprised Maddie isn't further ahead of Gabby. IMO Gabby's lutz looked under-rotated (and of course two footed) but Maddie's jumps were big, clean, and flowy throughout (really made me think of Kaetlyn).
That said, I think Maddie's presentation has improved a bit. And well done to Gabby. Hope she can keep it together for the FP.
Schizas had a -1 for a time violation and a level 3 on one of the bigger point getting spins, so that is a lot of why the difference is fairly small.

@puglover no, the hand down on the ice wasn’t the reason for the level 3. That was actually a feature to get that spin a level 4 LOL. It was the flying spin that was level 3.

Karen-W

That was a nice, 24-hr delusion for our Canadian friends. I knew it wouldn't last, based on what I saw out of Gabby at the Barrie sectional competition a couple weeks ago. I was hoping Maddie would bounce back from her disastrous Nebelhorn FS, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information