The Dance Hall 10: The Saitama Samba 2022-2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobre

Cross-posting:
Carolina Moscheni retires. Her announcement makes me think Fioretti also retired as she use the "we" in the last part ("As we decided to put a closure to our competitive career and we look to the start of another cycle,we can’t wait to host the next winter Olympic games in our country and we will be helping develop the future of figure skating sharing our passion for it and supporting our mates.")

ice coverage

Clip of Zoe Larson/Andrii Kapran's ChAJ1 at the end of their Junior FD (debut as a team - he previously skated for Ukraine and she used toi be a pair skater): https://twitter.com/S_V_Knight/status/1548787545814745088

The ensuing Twitter comments include two from Paul Poirier today:

For something to be called a lift the lifted partner must be off the ice for a minimum of 3 seconds or the lift needs to complete two full revolutions off the ice

Anything less than this is just considered choreography, unless you perform three in a row which is a new Choreo element

I‘ve just realized that according to detailed score at Dallas Classic,two SR dance teams performed Choreographic Assisted Jump:Zingas & Kolesnik,and the Polish team Hertenstein & Binkowski from WISA.

McNamara/Spiridonov's Dallas FD protocol also had ChAJ.

So anecdotally, three of the four senior couples in Dallas opted for ChAJ.
I realize the sample size is too small to have any significance. :lol:

But I hope more video examples will surface from Lake Placid next week. 🙏

litenkyckling

But I hope more video examples will surface from Lake Placid next week. 🙏
Do we know yet what the situation is with watching Lake Placid? I feel like I paid in 2019 but the stream kept cutting out? I won't pretend like I won't pay for it again though because it always drags me in!

Belsornia

I bite because I like it
Kaliszek & Spodyriev announced their retirement. Their instagram announcement + a google translation are posted in the retirement thread in the Great Skate Debate.

I am sorry to see them go. (I would have liked to see them tackle another four years, though I know they've struggled with injury issues). It was no small achievement to reach the elite senior ranks as a dance team from Poland, and they had a stronger transition up from juniors than a great many junior dance teams.
I feel a bit sad about Kaliszek/Spodyriev's retirement. Yes, many of their programmes were bad, and yes, they had stagnated technically for a while and probably regressed post-injury/pandemic break. But it feels like they were a team with some unfulfilled potential. I always wondered what they would have been like if they had had a different coach and not spent their entire career with Sylwia Nowak's poor strategy and horrible packaging.
Clip of Zoe Larson/Andrii Kapran's ChAJ1 at the end of their Junior FD (debut as a team - he previously skated for Ukraine and she used toi be a pair skater): https://twitter.com/S_V_Knight/status/1548787545814745088
I wasn't sure what to expect from choreo assisted jumps but it definitely involved more jumping and fewer technical non-lifts. But I'll try to hold judgement until we've seen it from more than one new junior team at a summer club comp.

Sylvia

TBD
would someone mind explaining to me what combined dance is?
RD (or Pattern Dances below Junior) + FD scores are combined for a total score.
Do we know yet what the situation is with watching Lake Placid?
No info about a livestream at this time - will cross-post here and in the competition thread in Kiss & Cry if anything turns up.

sk9tingfan

RD (or Pattern Dances below Junior) + FD scores are combined for a total score.

No info about a livestream at this time - will cross-post here and in the competition thread in Kiss & Cry if anything turns up.
Thanks Sylvia. I sent an email last week to the organizer with the question but did not receive an answer.

morqet

rising like a phoenix
I wasn't sure what to expect from choreo assisted jumps but it definitely involved more jumping and fewer technical non-lifts. But I'll try to hold judgement until we've seen it from more than one new junior team at a summer club comp.
I always thought it would be like C/B's American in Paris program, which at times felt like it was nothing but Madi doing assisted leaps: https://youtu.be/83p_gZAm01Q?t=276

dancing_on_ice

I always thought it would be like C/B's American in Paris program, which at times felt like it was nothing but Madi doing assisted leaps: https://youtu.be/83p_gZAm01Q?t=276
That was my first thought too. In 2015, that movement was counted as a Choreographic Spin Element. Another similar "jumping element" would be this element from V/M's Moulin Rouge program, which was also counted as a Choreographic Spin.

ice coverage

Lake Placid site added a "news release"-type page yesterday (including ticket information, for example).

Excerpt:

"The three-day event features competitors from Azerbaijan, Canada, France, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Poland, and Turkey and officials from Australia, Azerbaijan, Canada, Germany, Hungary, Israel, and Korea.

Notable skaters include the rising talent of U.S. ice dance couples, Molly Cesanek and Yehor Yhorov [sic], and Lorraine McNamara and Anton Spiridonov."​

(No mention one way or the other whether or not streaming will be available.

Caveat that the news release seems unreliable regarding its schedule highlights and schedule overview.
The full PDF schedule presumably has the correct times.
The schedule highlights in the news release say, "Senior International Rhythm Dance, Thursday, 8:15 pm – 9:20 pm," whereas the full PDF schedule says 7:35 pm to 9:20 pm.
And when compared to the full PDF, the schedule overview in the news release does not look completely accurate. Plus maybe it's just me, but I don't love that the overview refers to partnered dance as "pairs" and solo dance as "singles." ;))​

ETA:
Update: As of today, the information from the news release also has been added to the LP site's event page, which now has four sections:

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

On My Own

Are they really doing Samba for the RD again? Didn't they do it for Pyeongchang, it wasn't that far in the past.

Dobre

This season there is no pattern, and teams must use at least two dance styles/rhythms from the Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, or Bachata.

Pretty sure in 2017-18 teams could choose to use only one rhythm.

VGThuy

I believe in 2017-18 the Rhumba pattern could only be skated to one of the acceptable rhythms* and had to be at a tempo of 172-180 bpm. Outside of the pattern, there was no limit in how many rhythms from the Latin list a team could choose. I know some teams had like three altogether.

*Latin American Rhythms: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin American or Caribbean Rhythms.

On My Own

*Latin American Rhythms: Cha Cha, Rhumba, Samba, Mambo, Meringue, Salsa, Bachata and any closely related Latin American or Caribbean Rhythms.
At least it's better than "popping" and "krump" rhythms.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The assignments are out. Some preliminary field handicapping:

Skate America
Clear top two. Bronze feels like it would default to Reed & Ambrulevicius, but this is relatively open.

Skate Canada International
Gilles & Poirier out in front. Fear & Gibson are the second seed and presumed silver medalist, but I’m going to be very interested to see what Green & Parsons do here.

Grand Prix de France
Guignard & Fabbri and then Fournier Beaudry & Sorensen, bronze seemingly defaults to the Finns but that’s another field that feels open.

MK John Wilson Trophy
We’ll see if :bribe: can boost Fear & Gibson up a rung on the ladder at their home event, but probably not. Most likely bronze medal candidates would be Lajoie & Lagha and the Taschlers (and maybe the Georgians if they’ve put last year’s awful season behind them).

NHK Trophy
Chock & Bates on top, F-B/S would default to second but again, watch Green & Parsons, who I’d otherwise put in bronze.

Grand Prix Espoo
Gilles & Poirier and Hawayek & Baker top two, with the Finns favoured for a home medal, Taschlers and Wang & Liu as top challengers; I guess also Carreira & Ponomarenko.

clairecloutier

It is pretty fun trying to predict the dance fields. :D

I feel like Green/Parsons are the wild card. If you look at the ISU season's-best list for 2021-22, Green/Parsons are #4 on the list among still-active teams, behind only C/B, G/P, and G/F. And they won 4CCs. But they weren't able to skate at Worlds to establish their credentials against some of the rival Euro teams. Also, we have no idea yet what their programs or coaching situation are. But I'll be bold and predict 2 silvers for them. :lol:

It is going to be interesting to see how things fall for the second-tier group of dance teams (below the top 3). There was a lot of movement among these teams at last year's events (which makes things fun), so a lot will depend on programs and of course execution. Of the second-tier group, I think Hawayek/Baker should be the leaders theoretically, but whether that actually happens is yet to be seen. I feel like Fear/Gibson and Reed/Ambrulevicius gained the most momentum coming off Worlds.

litenkyckling

Sheffield has a great line up if you're a fan of junior dance (which I am) - L/L, Browns, K/R, Taschlers, F/A and I'm throwing C/P in there as I enjoy them (despite everyone else not 😅 ). I truly believe that's an exciting field to see - especially at the start of a quad where only 3"top" teams are sticking around (for now).

litenkyckling

It is pretty fun trying to predict the dance fields. :D

I feel like Green/Parsons are the wild card. If you look at the ISU season's-best list for 2021-22, Green/Parsons are #4 on the list among still-active teams, behind only C/B, G/P, and G/F. And they won 4CCs. But they weren't able to skate at Worlds to establish their credentials against some of the rival Euro teams. Also, we have no idea yet what their programs or coaching situation are. But I'll be bold and predict 2 silvers for them. :lol:

It is going to be interesting to see how things fall for the second-tier group of dance teams (below the top 3). There was a lot of movement among these teams at last year's events (which makes things fun), so a lot will depend on programs and of course execution. Of the second-tier group, I think Hawayek/Baker should be the leaders theoretically, but whether that actually happens is yet to be seen. I feel like Fear/Gibson and Reed/Ambrulevicius gained the most momentum coming off Worlds.
I know it really isn't the same thing at all - but I wonder if H/B's momentum may go more in the way of P/I's did post Sochi? Not getting the Olympic spot for Gilles/Poirier was almost a blessing in disguise for them - perhaps the same will be true for Green/Parsons.

clairecloutier

I know it really isn't the same thing at all - but I wonder if H/B's momentum may go more in the way of P/I's did post Sochi? Not getting the Olympic spot for Gilles/Poirier was almost a blessing in disguise for them - perhaps the same will be true for Green/Parsons.

I hope not, in regard to H/B. I think they're a really talented team. But it's indisputable that they have been up and down with both judging panels and fans over the past quad. So time will tell, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information