Yuzuru Hanyu announces his retirement from competition (updated after his press conference)

Sylvia

TBD
Nikkan Sports' article published ahead of Yuzuru Hanyu's press conference scheduled for 5 pm tomorrow (July 19) in Tokyo:
"It was revealed on the 18th that Yuzuru Hanyu (27 = ANA) ... has decided to retire and turn professional.
It will be announced at a press conference held at a hotel in Tokyo at 5 pm on the 19th. He will no longer compete in competitions, according to people familiar with the matter.
According to people familiar with the matter, he has the next dream of creating an ice show for the chairman. A world tour would be possible in the Hanyu class." [machine translation of 関係者によれば、自身が座長のアイスショーを創設する次の夢もある模様だ。羽生クラスなら世界ツアーも可能だろう。]

ETA on July 19 - I've since edited my original thread title after Hanyu officially confirmed his retirement from competition in his press conference - article in English by the Kyodo News Agency:

Please go here if you want to post negative things about 'Fanyus' (I happen to know a few reaasonable Fanyus - they do exist :)):

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Lol, well the summary is nikkan are liars and "antis", and everyone should report the tweet for lies and misinformation. And not to open the link, I guess since it increases the read count (do news channels get paid by the read?).
I have also found some gems. I might need popcorn tomorrow.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Well, I wish to not be addicted, since I just found a conspiracy theory of how it's meant to stoke the fanyus into getting mad so nikkan can later use it as part of a smear campaign. So logging out.
I imagine there's going to be a lot of "he was forced to do this by the ISU because they never gave him the marks he deserved" as they were doing that the last time there was a question of whether he would retire.

On My Own

I imagine there's going to be a lot of "he was forced to do this by the ISU because they never gave him the marks he deserved" as they were doing that the last time there was a question of whether he would retire.
Well, my reaction is the same as Wyliefan. I stopped finding aesthetic pleasure in his skating a while back (2018-19 was the nail in the coffin for me), and the fans on social media are hellish, so I won't be missing him. Let him do his shows, and let his fans be there, let the rest of us live in peace. Assuming the leak is accurate of course.

Flake99

Banned Member
The only time I saw Hanyu skate was at the Olympics earlier this year. He looked like one of those Tall Boy/tube man balloons they have at car dealerships in the U.S.--floppy, no audience connection--and he made numerous mistakes that warranted a much lower placement than he received.

I found the other Japanese single skaters much more talented and interesting. Also, the fact that they don't have hordes of enraged fans dressed as Winnie the Pooh doesn't hurt.

Willin

Regardless of what the Fanyus say, it would make a lot of sense. He's had a lot of injuries, his training situation is very up in the air, right now he has the clout to get a lot of funding and attention for a show, and he hasn't been able to compete well of consistently lately. He's said he won't stop until his body can't handle it, and maybe his body can't handle it any more - or at least can't handle it to his standards of multiple quads.

Personally I'm with the people saying he's announcing it's his last season (so he can go to Worlds in Saitama), but it could also be that after training this spring he just knew he couldn't go for one more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information