Russian figure skating news & updates in 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spun Silver

To hang out at a figure skating board and expect people not to talk about figure skaters is kind of a tall order, don't you think?
No, I don't, in this case. Political threads are not always full of grief about what figure skaters are or aren't doing. Skater threads don't usually go on and on and on about skater politics. People here are very smart and should be able to realize the emotion is misplaced, IMHO. I mean, if it's limited to the skaters who actually voice their support for Putin, OK, fine, but there are a lot of skaters who are somewhere in the messy middle that Andrei has described, why not give them the benefit of the doubt and feel sympathy for them for having such an evil president who's ruining his own country as well as Ukraine and God knows who else he's planning to destroy, if he lives long enough and can gather enough natural gas money.
I always have at the back of my mind Osip Mandelstam, a pure artist who wrote one political poem, admittedly a doozy about Stalin, and paid for it with his life, almost the loss of all his work and reputation... and he was just one of many. Surely figure skaters don't have to risk that in order to be considered "human." They are human, imperfect as they may be, but hopefully most are not outright supporters of this dreadful war. Let them skate and make people happy if they can. I can't see how that hurts Ukraine and maybe they will help remind Russians that their country is not only about brute force but also beauty.

soogar

Small correction:
So now, because people are against the war in Ukraine are being daily bombed by Russia, these Russians have to condemn their president or be faced with judgment by fans who don't even live in the country suffer daily from the evil actions of aforementioned monster of a president and that country.

You see, this situation is pretty simple actually. There is no "two sides" here, there is no "but you see, it's not black and white" or "it requires further investigation". Now, on the 63th of russia's useless meaningless outrageous war and after hundreds of proofs of russia's atrocities, everyone who is silent (and those sucking up to the monster of a president the more so) can't have his/her/its conscience "clear" by definition of what conscience means.
You can say the same exact thing about the United States and Iraq, and other conflicts thorughout the world. I also think the United States has a big part in escalating this conflict between Ukraine and Russia. It's not as if Hunter Biden wasn't sitting on a Ukrainian oil board just a few years ago. I didn't the see the same moral outrage over other wars and dictators.

Just like it's cut and dry in the United States, how half of the population thinks the other half doesn't know the "truth" and is "crazy" for having another view.

Last edited:

barbarafan

There are choices. But they are limited. There is responsibility but it is not only on these skaters.

To argue against it, hate them and the whole Russian population and only argue with „but every person in Ukraine has it worse“ is not helping either.

Some are brainwashed. Some may honestly support the war. Others may be confused or try to save themselves.

First of all most people will try to save their own skins. We applaud those that are different but in every country they would be few and far between under such a regime

I dont want to watch any Russian skater for the forseeable future because I know how much sport is used in politics and how much the „we are better than everyone else“ propaganda bolsters this war (and such a rethoric is dangerous everywhere and by no means only used in Russia!)- but this broad condemnation of every Russian person that I am reading more and more here is making me uncomfortable and it will not help to end the war nor will it help in the years to come when hopefully the world will return to some order.
We must not forget that these are people. Maybe some weak, some misguided. Some afraid and so on. But most are not „naturally“ bad and brutal people

So can we please stop to paint every Russian (skater) as monster? It does not help Ukraine. On the contrary- this kind of talk will hurt it.
I do not think all Russians are heartless monsters. However at this point the only ones who I would trust are the ones protesting and speaking out against this inhuman godless slaughter of their neighbours. I have lots of Russian skaters that I really like & have followed them but I do not speak or read Russian so I now do not like anything in case of what they are saying could be for the war or showing support of it. This makes me very uncomfortable but obviously not as uncomfortable as Ukrainians. Many of the Russian soldiers have no stomach for what they are forced to do & are self-sabatoging. I have true respect for them. I was sad to see skaters in the Kremlin as I am always hoping someone bombs the Kremlin. It is prob. dangerous to do too much talking as a skater I believe as you also have to think of those around you who could be effected. On the other hand, Skaters like S/K who trained with N/N & never reached out or contacted them when they were in such danger cannot be overlooked. Zulin trained them from youngsters & is delighted with the war & also crossed them off his Xmas card list. Skaters like these need to be banned for life in the skating world.

airgelaal

Why should anyone make a joint statement? They are Russian athletes and there are different views in Russia. I remember clearly how people in the US were gung ho about going into Iraq, and a person couldn't say anything against the war because they would be considered un-American. Then 8 years later, everyone was against the war they so fervently supported. So now, because people are against the war in Ukraine, these Russians have to condemn their president or be faced with judgment by fans who don't even live in the country. And to be honest, aren't buying tickets to their shows in Russia. And how presumptuous to assume that their consciences aren't "clear." By whose standards?
Oh, God, if they don't want to do anything, they don't have to do anything. Just do not then tell how they are offended and discriminated against.
War is not politics. It is death and destruction. And their country is to blame. They gladly accepted all the advantages of their citizenship, and when the cons appeared, they had nothing to do with it. It doesn't work like that. The fact that they sit in their comfortable bubble is their choice, but let them accept the consequences of such a choice.

Spun Silver

The other thing is that the world has forced Russian athletes into a situation where they can only compete and perform there and in a handful of satellite or ally countries. I mean the Armenian championships, for gosh sake. When you back people into a corner like that, they start behaving defensively. What do you expect, really? The ISU bans them and in response they become heroic anti-Putin activists marching off to prison? Again, SMH. Those tall strong pair guys are probably just hoping to God they don't get drafted.

Bigbird

I do not think all Russians are heartless monsters. However at this point the only ones who I would trust are the ones protesting and speaking out against this inhuman godless slaughter of their neighbours. I have lots of Russian skaters that I really like & have followed them but I do not speak or read Russian so I now do not like anything in case of what they are saying could be for the war or showing support of it. This makes me very uncomfortable but obviously not as uncomfortable as Ukrainians. Many of the Russian soldiers have no stomach for what they are forced to do & are self-sabatoging. I have true respect for them. I was sad to see skaters in the Kremlin as I am always hoping someone bombs the Kremlin. It is prob. dangerous to do too much talking as a skater I believe as you also have to think of those around you who could be effected. On the other hand, Skaters like S/K who trained with N/N & never reached out or contacted them when they were in such danger cannot be overlooked. Zulin trained them from youngsters & is delighted with the war & also crossed them off his Xmas card list. Skaters like these need to be banned for life in the skating world.
Maybe we're unknowingly focussing too much on the propaganda? We're not hearing much about the persons punished for protesting, correct? These athletes are window dressing. They'll be replaced as the years go on...

reut

What did she say?
It was mentioned above:
I don't know what is more exciting: to skate on Olympic ice or to talk "eye to eye" to the president
(but this is literal translation, it means to talk while being so close and looking directly into eyes, it doesn't mean "to have or come to the same opinion or point of view")

barbarafan

It was mentioned above:
(but this is literal translation, it means to talk while being so close and looking directly into eyes, it doesn't mean "to have or come to the same opinion or point of view")
thanks. I missed it....sorta wow . really hard to define. She could have been shooting daggers ...not drooling..I am not sure if I would be throwing up or peeing my pants if faced with this.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
The other thing is that the world has forced Russian athletes into a situation where they can only compete and perform there and in a handful of satellite or ally countries. I mean the Armenian championships, for gosh sake. When you back people into a corner like that, they start behaving defensively. What do you expect, really? The ISU bans them and in response they become heroic anti-Putin activists marching off to prison? Again, SMH. Those tall strong pair guys are probably just hoping to God they don't get drafted.
The WORLD has forced Russian athletes into nothing. The WORLD did not invade Ukraine, Russia did.

Nadya

The WORLD has forced Russian athletes into nothing. The WORLD did not invade Ukraine, Russia did.
You'd be correct if the world's response to any military invasions over the last hundred years has been to move the offending country athletes' from international competitions. But that has not been the case, and the reaction of global institutions, including the global sports, to this war has been different from other wars. So no, this response could not have been predicted.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
You'd be correct if the world's response to any military invasions over the last hundred years has been to move the offending country athletes' from international competitions. But that has not been the case, and the reaction of global institutions, including the global sports, to this war has been different from other wars. So no, this response could not have been predicted.
South African athletes were banned for 25 years because of apartheid. After the USSR invaded Hungary in 1956, several countries withdrew their athletes rather than compete with them. Iranian athletes have been banned from various competitions because they won’t compete with Israel.

And as many point out, if this is the beginning of stronger action against warmonger countries, that’s all to the good.

Nadya

South African athletes were banned for 25 years because of apartheid. After the USSR invaded Hungary in 1956, several countries withdrew their athletes rather than compete with them. Iranian athletes have been banned from various competitions because they won’t compete with Israel.

And as many point out, if this is the beginning of stronger action against warmonger countries, that’s all to the good.

As long as it is applied universally and not selectively, I'm all good.

Carolla5501

So just because we didn’t do it right last time and we should keep doing it wrong. Really?

Thanks for the fourth grade defense😂

When you were a child in school and you did something wrong you told your parents it was OK because everyone else did it and they let you get away with it? If they did that explains your posting and if they didn’t why do you think that’s the standard now

airgelaal

So just because we didn’t do it right last time and we should keep doing it wrong. Really?

Thanks for the fourth grade defense😂

When you were a child in school and you did something wrong you told your parents it was OK because everyone else did it and they let you get away with it? If they did that explains your posting and if they didn’t why do you think that’s the standard now
And it's not like it's the first time for russia. russia has a huge list of such "victories"

BittyBug

Disgusted
Seriously, just stop with the whataboutism and deflection (talking to you @soogar). What matters is the here and now. If and when another war is started by an ISU member country then add that to the conversation, but you’re using the past action of other countries to try to defend the current aggressions and war crimes of Russia, and it’s not relevant.

airgelaal

Seriously, just stop with the whataboutism and deflection (talking to you @soogar). What matters is the here and now. If and when another war is started by an ISU member country then add that to the conversation, but you’re using the past action of other countries to try to defend the current aggressions and war crimes of Russia, and it’s not relevant.
What other countries? rRussia has been coping well with the role of an aggressor for many decades

bladesofgorey

I remember clearly how people in the US were gung ho about going into Iraq, and a person couldn't say anything against the war because they would be considered un-American. Then 8 years later, everyone was against the war they so fervently supported. So now, because people are against the war in Ukraine, these Russians have to condemn their president or be faced with judgment by fans who don't even live in the country.
LMAO wow. Yes, millions of us were considered unamerican. But so what? That didn't stop us from condemning fellow Americans for being pro-war, criticizing propaganda, and continuing to protest in the streets and shut down blocks. Where were you?

Nadya

You want here and now? UAE is an ISU member and Yemen was being bombed while you ate your dinner yesterday.

I’m sure, though, that you’re going to tell me that this is, like, completely different because Houthi Iran Shia extremist something.

Nadya

LMAO wow. Yes, millions of us were considered unamerican. But so what? That didn't stop us from condemning fellow Americans for being pro-war, criticizing propaganda, and continuing to protest in the streets and shut down blocks. Where were you?
Yet your Mastercard kept working.

Nadya

What other countries? rRussia has been coping well with the role of an aggressor for many decades
Are you seriously asking for examples of OTHER countries that invaded or destabilized other countries over the last few decades? Were you in a coma or just not into news?

Nadya

You’re deliberately misstating the argument. No one is defending Russia’s actions. People are pointing out that the global institutional response is either completely new, or completely Russia-specific. That it is new is not incorrect. That it is Russia-specific remains to be seen.

barbarafan

Ordinary Russians are also facing sanctions, not just Russian athletes. By this logic, the world is forcing the whole of Russia to support Putin.
no...The world is trying to force Russians to throw Putin and his merry band of oligarchs out if anything. They are supporting a mass murderer who is dragging them behind him deeper and deeper into no man's land.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
UAE might be an ISU member, but not a Member, and the ISU does make the distinction. Similarly, they're not very much concerned about instability in countries in South America or Southeast Asia where they have members, but where none are Members.

The ISU cares about European Feds' countries, to an extent, especially with such a concentration of delegates, although South Africa got swept into a worldwide movement condemning apartheid, the big two in North America, and the four major Federations north-central countries in Asia. Australia gets consideration here and there (when they remember) probably for being part of the Commonwealth.

BittyBug

Disgusted
You want here and now? UAE is an ISU member and Yemen was being bombed while you ate your dinner yesterday.
You’re right. If UAE had skaters who were actually actively competing at ISU events they should be similarly banned. But since the UAE has all of two listed athletes, neither of whom has competed in an ISU event since 2020, it’s a moot point. Keep stomping your feet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information