2021/2022 Canadian Men: News and Updates

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Wesley still has one more year of junior eligibility, and he probably should take advantage of that while working on his tech. At JW, he was 2nd in the SP where quads weren't allowed. But in senior competition, he'd be at a competitive disadvantage against skaters who do 1-2 quads in the SP and two or more in the FS, as well as two 3As.
I can't say I agree. He has quads - they aren't solid in competition yet the way Malinin or Shaidorov's are, but he needs more opportunities to incorporate them into both the SP and FS. Additionally, it isn't as though the other Canadian men who are competing on the GP have particularly consistent quads. I doubt he would do any worse in the GP events than Roman, Keegan or Nam (if he really does skate another season or two).

I think both Wesley and Stephen are ready for the senior GP next season.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I can't say I agree. He has quads - they aren't solid in competition yet the way Malinin or Shaidorov's are, but he needs more opportunities to incorporate them into both the SP and FS. Additionally, it isn't as though the other Canadian men who are competing on the GP have particularly consistent quads. I doubt he would do any worse in the GP events than Roman, Keegan or Nam (if he really does skate another season or two).

I think both Wesley and Stephen are ready for the senior GP next season.
I agree, I cannot wait!!

Sylvia

TBD
All I ask is for everyone to manage through their growth spurts 🙏 .
Relevant snippet from a translated Russian interview after Junior Worlds re. Gogolev:
Rafael Arutyunyan: The fact that he competed again after almost a three-year break can be considered an achievement. It was necessary to show that the guy is still “alive”. After all, he has grown to 180 cm, and given the huge break in training and performances, fifth place at the World Junior Championships is an excellent achievement.
-Gogolev is not going to switch to pairs?
Rafael Arutyunyan: No. The guy jumps well, he’s well coordinated – he will perform as a single skater. It was a shock for me when Stephen, who grew by 30 cm and did not train for a long time, performed a quadruple jump. I had to work carefully with Gogolev. During the growth period, it was also necessary to heal a back injury.
ETA source link of the original interview with a diffferent translation: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/khodorovskis-interview-with-arutyunyan.109637/

Last edited:

Rock2

I would also like to see Wesley and Stephen move to seniors next year. Much more development to come. I still also believe that Conrad has another level and am happy that he's searching for more solutions with a move in training.

Speaking of another level, I'm less enthusiastic about Roman. Yes, he's had a rough year this year. What sometimes irks me is that we are starting to over-correct when it comes to showing support for skaters who perform poorly. It's one thing to not criticize performances, but it got to the point where I felt we were congratulating his failures. Most of the narrative from him directly was finding satisfaction or positives in his poor skates. No issues with that at all, but if it would come with an occasional "this is not acceptable - I need to turn over every stone to fix what is not working" sort of resolve, I could get excited over the prospects of seeing something different from him next year.

But I guess it doesn't always boil down to talk. Let's see what actually happens with his training over the summer and if it leads him to a new place.

Sylvia

TBD
Corey is doing a tribute to Toller Cranston. Can’t wait to see this. https://www.instagram.com/p/CclbCXIueoX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Was just coming here to post... for those who don't have an Instagram account, this is what Corey Circelli wrote:

2022/23 Toller Cranston Tribute. Pagliacci

It only feels right to be kicking off this next Olympic quadrennial with a tribute to one of the most exquisite Canadian skaters in history, Toller Cranston. At 10 years old I had the immense pleasure of working with Ellen Burka whom was Toller’s long time coach, and she immediately called me “Little Toller”, thus sending me home with lists of his performances to marvel and learn from. Toller was witty and flamboyant, both strong and soft, could be masculine and feminine, but more than anything one hundred percent authentically himself. To say he is an inspiration of mine would be an understatement, and his performance of “I Pagliacci” will forever be my favourite of all the art he has created. Therefore, this leads me to the ever so exciting homage I intend to create and tribute starting from the spectacular work of my long time choreographer, the one and only David Wilson.

I’m so excited to take on this challenge and education of our sport through my interpretation of Toller’s skating and can’t wait to show it to the world.

Toller I hope you’re painting somewhere with a cup of strawberry tea and watching from above. This one is for you…

honey

Ravi Walia posted a couple of clips of Conrad in practice on his Instagram stories today. Nice 4T and 3A. The music playing was Out of Tears by the Rolling Stones and he appeared to be skating to it. I think a Rolling Stones medley would be a good choice for him!

shutterbug

Ravi Walia posted a couple of clips of Conrad in practice on his Instagram stories today. Nice 4T and 3A. The music playing was Out of Tears by the Rolling Stones and he appeared to be skating to it. I think a Rolling Stones medley would be a good choice for him!
I think everyone should be able to view Ravi’s clips via this tweet:
And on the subject of nice 4T’s, this one from Corey is 🤩 : https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca28vr5l-Tt/

Sylvia

TBD
More 2022-23 Season program music known so far (copied here from the Programs Music/Choreographers thread):
Conrad Orzel Short Carmina Burana
Corey Circelli
SP: Prince medley
Choreographed by Jeff Buttle
Kept from the current season, but revamped
Joseph Phan (CAN)
SP: "Painting Greys" by Emmit Fenn
Choreographed by Antony Cheng (clip posted today): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdtE9CiAIZH/
ETA that Lee Barkell is listed as his coach on the Patinage QC website (refer to post #733 below).

Bennet Toman (CAN) posted on his Instagram (currently set to private) back on April 8 a clip of his "new long program step sequence for the 2022-2023 season. It is still a work in progress, but this is such a fun experience. Doing my own choreography is challenging but such a good growth opportunity..." - music is The Beatles' "Eleanor Rigby" (ft. Cody Fry): https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGQtmjlk21XDy1Eg8bY4dePbgGe5V9wEVp3rE0/

Matthew Markell (CAN) posted on May 11: https://www.instagram.com/p/CdboS4Rr9hU/
FS Music 🎶: Creep (cover by Adam Lambrou)
Original composition: @sk8mixhugo
musical designer and composer: @karlhugomusic
Choreographer 🕺🏻: @lancevipond and myself
Emma Bulawka, 19 (6th in Senior at 2020 Canadians, last competed in the January 2021 Virtual Skate Canada Challenge, placing 13th) launched her "Wide Open Spaces" podcast earlier this year
Matthew Markell (March 11): https://rss.com/podcasts/wide-open-spaces/416560/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting here from the 2022 Canadian Spring/Summer Competitions thread in the Kiss & Cry section:
Ravi Walia shared an Instagram story clip of Matthew Newnham's first clean 3A in competition at the Sunsational Combined Spring Invitational last month (April 15-17), hosted by Ice Palace FSC in Edmonton - Newnham's Senior SP exhibition (3A, 3F, 3Lz+2T) to his 2021-22 music, Rachmaninoff's piano concerto no. 2 (choreo. by Lance Vipond), starts at the 19-min. mark: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8a1i6c
When the 2022-23 Canadian Men news thread is created, I can/will copy over this music info.

Last edited:

greenapple

Of interest from the Patinage Quebec list for the men is that Joseph Phan's coach is listed as Lee Barkell.
Phan left the Cricket Club and Brian Orser a few months ago probably hoping the grass was greener on the other side. Rumours were he quit after three weeks at the Granite. Seems he rethought that decision.

Ilia Kovler did the reverse. He left the Granite and went to the Cricket.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Nam is retiring!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Rob Brodie wrote an article for IFS Magazine about Nam "taking down his shingle" before the official Skate Canada announcement which was made today - Nam's 24th birthday:

clairecloutier

Rob Brodie wrote an article for IFS Magazine about Nam "taking down his shingle" before the official Skate Canada announcement which was made today - Nam's 24th birthday:

Nam speaks pretty candidly in this article of how much the cancellation of Montreal Worlds 2020 and Skate Canada 2020 negatively affected his motivation. (It seems like Kirsten Moore-Towers wasn't the only one who was really affected by those cancellations.)

Wishing him well with his new careers in real estate/skating coaching.

Japanfan

Speaking of another level, I'm less enthusiastic about Roman. Yes, he's had a rough year this year. What sometimes irks me is that we are starting to over-correct when it comes to showing support for skaters who perform poorly. It's one thing to not criticize performances, but it got to the point where I felt we were congratulating his failures. Most of the narrative from him directly was finding satisfaction or positives in his poor skates.

I considered Roman's winning skates to be just a good day at the office for me. I never expected him to be consistent enough to really content for the top.

Sylvia

TBD
Nam's Instagram post yesterday (includes many tributes from the skating community): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdyShVUlfNA/

Celebrating my 24th birthday with an official announcement of my retirement from competitive skating. I want to thank all the fans for the love and support throughout my career, I truly appreciate each and everyone of you for being there with me through my adventures in this sport. I would also like to thank Skate Canada for their years of support and trust in my team and I.

To Danielle, Kenny, Robert, Carmen, Bob, and the rest of RTC: you have been my anchor as I navigated the last leg of my career in a completely different context. You have always been there for me in my highest and lowest points of my career, and have always given me that feeling of love and support no matter what I was going through. As a team, I truly love all of you and am so grateful to retire with you by my side.

Finally, to my parents: thank you for all the hard work, the sacrifice, and the motivation you’ve given me to better myself in whatever I was pursuing. As I’m reflecting back on my career, the things we went through as a family were tough, but I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way. All of these things made us tighter as a family and I’m so thankful for everything you’ve done for me. I love you.

It has been a great pleasure performing for all of you for the past 20 years. It is something I will miss dearly, but I’m now ready to move on to the next chapter of my life. I love you all!

And his tweet today:

screech

I wish Nam all the best in his future endeavors!
From the IFS Article:
Nguyen also speaks with enthusiasm about what will come next for him after he writes his final chapter in the sport. He recently became a power skating coach for some young hockey players in Toronto, which is something he is already passionate about. He was inspired by the work of Barbara Underhill, the 1984 World pairs champion, who spent many years as a power skating instructor for the NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs.
I do find it kind of amusing that a skater who's lack of speed and power was regularly commented on, is working as a power skating coach...

Sylvia

TBD
At Worlds, I talked with Roman Sadovsky and his coach Tracey Wainman about his performances in Montpellier and Beijing. Here's what they said:

Q: What are your thoughts on your long program?
Sadovsky: I’m really proud of the impression I put out here. After the short program, I had some serious hip pain, to the point where I couldn’t even lift my leg. So honestly, the schedule kind of worked out for me. [There was a day between the men’s short and long programs.] If we’d had to do the long [program] yesterday, I would have withdrawn for sure. And I was concerned today, also, to pull out. But I did practice this morning, and it felt good enough, and I said, “Okay, I’m ready to go.”
Roman mentioned after the 5-min. mark of his April 25th vlog that he strained his left hip flexor in his Worlds SP and described how he was able to skate his FS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6EdQ4dOqOw

His latest vlog is about on his off-season so far (May 27): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUTKeOHH7B4
Right before the 9-min. mark: "In this day and age, two quads is not going to cut it."

ETA that Roman & his coach assisted at the first Skate Ontario Provincial Development Camp in Nottawasaga earlier this week.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Of interest from the Patinage Quebec list [dated May 18] for the men is that Joseph Phan's coach is listed as Lee Barkell.
Phan left the Cricket Club and Brian Orser a few months ago probably hoping the grass was greener on the other side. Rumours were he quit after three weeks at the Granite. Seems he rethought that decision.
I noticed that Phan is no longer included in either Patinage Quebec's Équipe Excellence (top team - no men are listed) that was published on June 7 or the updated ISU World Standings men's list. Phan had 362 points for his 9th place finish at 2022 4CC, which appears to have been his final competition. :(

The 7 Canadian men listed in the updated ISU WS for 2022-23 are (with Nguyen & Phan removed):
8 1931 Keegan MESSING
23 1037 Wesley CHIU
35 813 Roman SADOVSKY
43 657 Corey CIRCELLI (has aged out of ISU Junior)
82 328 Stephen GOGOLEV
136 120 Matthew NEWNHAM
142 97 Alec GUINZBOURG

ETA that Aleksa Rakic (along with fellow 2022-23 Team NextGen's Kara Yun) trained in Japan with Mie Hamada's group in Kyoto recently, according to McLeod's post earlier this week: https://www.instagram.com/p/CezHwlaP2mf/

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD

Former junior national champion Joseph Phan, 20, Laval, Que., has decided to retire from competitive skating. Phan won two Canadian championships, novice in 2014 and junior in 2016. Phan competed on the senior circuit beginning in 2017 and most recently place fourth at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships just missing the podium by less than a point.

“It has been the greatest honour to represent Canada over the years and those years have been extremely memorable. There has been so many ups and downs throughout my career, and I’ve been able to overcome them with my constant drive and determination but also with the help of so many people in my entourage,” said Phan. “I want to thank Skate Canada and Patinage Quebec for their outstanding support, all my coaches from age five to 20, who helped me develop not only as an athlete but also as a person. The biggest thank you to my parents who gave me everything I could possibly have. Through figure skating I have learned countless lessons and met amazing people that I will forever cherish.”

Internationally Joseph garnered a silver (2017) and bronze (2018) medal on the ISU Junior Grand Prix circuit as well as a fourth-place finish in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships. Phan’s last competition of his career was the 2022 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships where he fought hard and finished in ninth place.

“Joseph is such an expressive and passionate skater when he is on the ice and that was showcased in his many competitive successes” said Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director, Skate Canada. “Skate Canada is proud in the way Joseph represented his country and are excited to see what his future holds.”

In the future Phan looks forward to staying in skating whether that be in coaching or participating in shows.

ETA:

One of Joseph's Phan's most memorable programs for me was his wonderfully edited FS to Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Emperor"), choreographed by David Wilson, that he skated for 2 seasons -- here's his performance from 2021 Skate Canada Challenge (virtual) with commentary by Ted Barton (thanks for uploading this version to YT, @Colonel Green!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-GmoXJRI3Y

As Beverley Smith tweeted today: "Aww. Joseph Phan is retiring. I'll miss this young man of the blade."

Last edited:

puglover

Former junior national champion Joseph Phan, 20, Laval, Que., has decided to retire from competitive skating. Phan won two Canadian championships, novice in 2014 and junior in 2016. Phan competed on the senior circuit beginning in 2017 and most recently place fourth at the 2022 Canadian Tire National Skating Championships just missing the podium by less than a point.

“It has been the greatest honour to represent Canada over the years and those years have been extremely memorable. There has been so many ups and downs throughout my career, and I’ve been able to overcome them with my constant drive and determination but also with the help of so many people in my entourage,” said Phan. “I want to thank Skate Canada and Patinage Quebec for their outstanding support, all my coaches from age five to 20, who helped me develop not only as an athlete but also as a person. The biggest thank you to my parents who gave me everything I could possibly have. Through figure skating I have learned countless lessons and met amazing people that I will forever cherish.”

Internationally Joseph garnered a silver (2017) and bronze (2018) medal on the ISU Junior Grand Prix circuit as well as a fourth-place finish in the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships. Phan’s last competition of his career was the 2022 ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships where he fought hard and finished in ninth place.

“Joseph is such an expressive and passionate skater when he is on the ice and that was showcased in his many competitive successes” said Mike Slipchuk, High Performance Director, Skate Canada. “Skate Canada is proud in the way Joseph represented his country and are excited to see what his future holds.”

In the future Phan looks forward to staying in skating whether that be in coaching or participating in shows.

ETA:

One of Joseph's Phan's most memorable programs for me was his wonderfully edited FS to Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 5 ("Emperor"), choreographed by David Wilson, that he skated for 2 seasons -- here's his performance from 2021 Skate Canada Challenge (virtual) with commentary by Ted Barton (thanks for uploading this version to YT, @Colonel Green!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-GmoXJRI3Y

As Beverley Smith tweeted today: "Aww. Joseph Phan is retiring. I'll miss this young man of the blade."
And the hits keep coming! Joseph will be missed. No doubt, he has goals in other areas and he feels satisfied with his accomplishments in skating. Best wishes on future endeavours!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information