Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I thought the husband of a queen was prince consort because a king was always a reigning king or something along those lines. I feel like I heard or read that it has something to do with that.
The only husband of a reigning queen who has been called Prince Consort was Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria. He was a prince in his own right in his native state (now part of Germany). Victoria wanted him to be King Consort, but Parliament said no, hence the courtesy title of Prince Consort was created for him.

Of previous Queens Regnant:

Queen Anne's husband Prince George of Denmark, was the son of the King of Denmark so again was a Prince in his own right, and is refered to as Prince George of Denmark.

Queen Mary II's husband, William III was joint reigning monarch with Mary, as a type of reward for invading Britain and 'freeing' the country from the Catholiciism of James II. He continued to reign in his own right after Mary's death. Although Mary had the stronger claim to the British throne, as James' daughter, William also had a legitimate claim through his mother, who was daughter of Charles I.

Mary I's husband was King of Spain in his own right, and although nominally were joint rulers of England, Mary had the final say in anything pertaining to ruling the country (he was also absent a lot of the time).

Of the Elizabeths, the Duke of Edinburgh was a Prince of Greece (now a defunct monarchy) and not given a title beyond his Royal Dukedom (i.e. not Prince Consort), and of course Elizabeth I never married.

If you want to get into other parts of what is now the United Kingdom, Mary Queen of Scots made her second husband, Lord Darnley, a King with the intent they reign together.

So the title Prince Consort doesn't have that long a lineage.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Of the Elizabeths, the Duke of Edinburgh was a Prince of Greece (albeit a defunct monarchy) and not given a title beyond his Royal Dukedom (i.e. not Prince Consort)
Greece was not a defunct monarchy wenn Phil the Greek married his wife, though it was in a state of civil war. He was also a Prince of Denmark.. He gave up these titles upon marriage and was known as the Duke of Edinburgh. The Queen made her husband a Prince of the United Kingdom in 1957, a few years after her coronation.

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Greece was not a defunct monarchy when Phil the Greek married his wife, though it was in a state of civil war. The Queen made her husband a Prince of the United Kingdom in 1957, a few years after her coronation.
Quite right. Let me go back and edit that slightly. :)

ballettmaus

The only husband of a reigning queen who has been called Prince Consort was Prince Albert, husband of Queen Victoria. He was a prince in his own right in his native state (now part of Germany). Victoria wanted him to be King Consort, but Parliament said no, hence the courtesy title of Prince Consort was created for him.

Of previous Queens Regnant:

Queen Anne's husband Prince George of Denmark, was the son of the King of Denmark so again was a Prince in his own right, and is refered to as Prince George of Denmark.

Queen Mary II's husband, William III was joint reigning monarch with Mary, as a type of reward for invading Britain and 'freeing' the country from the Catholiciism of James II. He continued to reign in his own right after Mary's death. Although Mary had the stronger claim to the British throne, as James' daughter, William also had a legitimate claim through his mother, who was daughter of Charles I.

Mary I's husband was King of Spain in his own right, and although nominally were joint rulers of England, Mary had the final say in anything pertaining to ruling the country (he was also absent a lot of the time).

Of the Elizabeths, the Duke of Edinburgh was a Prince of Greece (now a defunct monarchy) and not given a title beyond his Royal Dukedom (i.e. not Prince Consort), and of course Elizabeth I never married.

If you want to get into other parts of what is now the United Kingdom, Mary Queen of Scots made her second husband, Lord Darnley, a King with the intent they reign together.

So the title Prince Consort doesn't have that long a lineage.
The husband of Queen Margarethe of Denmark was a prince consort as well as were the husbands of Queen Beatrix and her two predecessors.
The earliest prince consort I could find was in the 17th century. Sweden's Queen Ulrika Eleanore's husband was known as prince consort until she abdicted in his favor and he became reigning king. Co-reigns weren't allowed.

But everyone you've just listed was a reigning king of some sort, so maybe the Consitution of those countries does not allow for a king consort. (Queen Isabella of Spain's husband was known as king consort but he's the only one I found, though I only checked Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands, Denmark and Spain).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Y'all realize that not every country/monarchy is exactly the same when it comes to how the members of the royal family are titled or styled, right? Just because it's done one way in Denmark or the Netherlands doesn't mean it's done the same way in the UK or Sweden or Spain, etc. The UK is pretty straightforward in that the woman takes her title/style from her spouse or father. The whole Princess Consort thing when Charles and Camilla married was definitely done to make the marriage more acceptable to the general public, but it's been 17 years (longer than Charles & Diana were married) and she's barely set a foot wrong in her support of both him and the monarchy.

It all seems rather silly (and highly misogynistic) that anyone still thinks she should be deprived of the title & style that would be hers, legally, as Charles' spouse when he becomes king, because of whatever role she may or may not have played in the breakdown of Charles & Diana's marriage. Now, if you want to argue that the practice of the wife/daughter getting any title/styles from her spouse/father is chauvinistic and should be discontinued, that's fair, but opening up that can of worms would also mean you apply that standard equally - depriving all women (including the highly popular Duchess of Cambridge) of her title/style as well. But, I highly doubt most of the Brits here are ringing up or writing their MP about the pressing need to change this. Feel free to tell me if I'm wrong in that guess. ;)

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
(Queen Isabella of Spain's husband was known as king consort but he's the only one I found
Ferdinand and Isabella were co-rulers of theirs respective Spanish states. So Isabella was Queen of Castille, and Ferdinand was King of Aragon (and a few other places) - together they ruled all of their various joint kingdoms. She's an early example of a European Queen in her own right.
Y'all realize that not every country/monarchy is exactly the same when it comes to how the members of the royal family are titled or styled, right? Just because it's done one way in Denmark or the Netherlands doesn't mean it's done the same way in the UK or Sweden or Spain, etc.
This. Prince/Princess Consort being used elsewhere in Europe doesn't mean it has any force in Britain.
It all seems rather silly (and highly misogynistic) that anyone still thinks she should be deprived of the title & style that would be hers, legally, as Charles' spouse when he becomes king, because of whatever role she may or may not have played in the breakdown of Charles & Diana's marriage.
Agree. Regardless of how I feel about Camilla's role in the breakdown of Charles and Diana's marriage, she is going to be the wife of a King, and therefore should be styled as Queen.

Sylvia

TBD
March 7:
The Queen posed in front of blue and yellow flowers, the national colours of Ukraine, as she held her first in-person meeting at Windsor Castle since falling ill with Covid.
On whether this was a symbolic show of support, a Royal source indicated it was unlikely to be accidental.
The 95-year-old monarch was pictured smiling warmly at the Canadian PM as he held her right hand in both of his.
Justin Trudeau was visiting for talks with the UK PM about the Ukraine war.

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I'm loving all of Catherine's outfits on their tour. I know Jenny Packham is her go-to for dresses, but I'm curious how much input the BRF has in approving her outfits? It is very much her style.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I read that article this morning (Australian time) and was all WTF until I got to the name. :lol:

mella

Boy, the Royal Family sure is doing what it can to ruin the Queen's Platinum Jubilee, aren't they?

Yikes. Not a good look for Charles.

I was going to reply to say that in fairness to Charles, Saville navigated the corridors or power and society his entire life without being called out. Supposedly his proclivities weren't recognised...

Then I got to the final link :sick:. Its not the worse thing he's reported as having done but as red flags go... a reminder that there were lots of signs as to what Saville was - they were likely ignored rather than not recognised.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Saville is dead and has been dead for over 10 years. Therefore Charles didn't consult with him at any time recently. Why bring it up now? Probably because the Jubilee is coming up and it makes for a juicy headline.

Note: I'm not defending Charles. I think he's a twat-waffle. But it's not accurate to say he's doing this to ruin the Jubilee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information