*Update* World Junior Figure Skating Championships now assigned to Tallinn

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Aren’t we supposed to find out this week about a new site for Jr Worlds? Last week’s update from the ISU delayed the announcement a bit but I thought that it was still coming soon. 🍿

Sylvia

TBD
ISU's 27 February 2022 statement included this sentence near the end:

"The possible re-allocation of the ISU World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2022, which cannot be held as planned in Sofia, Bulgaria, remains under evaluation for a decision tas soon as possible."

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Is World Juniors usually something that is shown on the ISU youtube channel? I can't remember.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Is World Juniors usually something that is shown on the ISU youtube channel? I can't remember.
Yes, with Ted Barton commentating. I hope young skaters can travel to Estonia easily and safely; with Russian airspace closed its going to be a long trip for Asian skaters.

Weren’t the top six pairs on the JGP ALL Russian?

sandra_persch

wow I wonder if any of the German skaters are still available to compete that late in the season and that close to Russia.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes, with Ted Barton commentating. I hope young skaters can travel to Estonia easily and safely; with Russian airspace closed its going to be a long trip for Asian skaters.

Weren’t the top six pairs on the JGP ALL Russian?
Yes. And top 4 ladies are Russian, and 3 of the top 6 in dance and men since Malinin is doing senior worlds. No Triple Sofia's in Sofia. :(

Stephanie

Yes. And top 4 ladies are Russian, and 3 of the top 6 in dance and men since Malinin is doing senior worlds. No Triple Sofia's in Sofia. :(
There were only 4 JGPF spots this year. All 4 went to Russians, but the first subs (Safina/Berulava) were Georgian (although they train in Russia). https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...2/series-files-39/rankings/26346-pairs-1/file

Malinin is still assigned to junior worlds but I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced (by Kai Kovar) now that junior worlds will be after senior worlds, plus with no Russians it should be easier to maintain/gain spots for next year's JGP and junior worlds.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There were only 4 JGPF spots this year. All 4 went to Russians, but the first subs (Safina/Berulava) were Georgian (although they train in Russia). https://isu.org/docman-documents-li...2/series-files-39/rankings/26346-pairs-1/file

Malinin is still assigned to junior worlds but I wouldn't be surprised to see him replaced (by Kai Kovar) now that junior worlds will be after senior worlds, plus with no Russians it should be easier to maintain/gain spots for next year's JGP and junior worlds.
Easier for whom? Certainly, not an entire generation of young Russian skaters in all disciplines. :(

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Tallinn is the BEST!!!!!!

Safina/Berulava should have a really great chance at winning, and it won't be a bad opportunity for Golubeva/Giotopoulos-Moore to pick up a lot of WS points.

Dance - that could, potentially, be very interesting with the US teams, D'Alessandro/Waddell, Mazingue/Gaidajenko, the young Czechs, and the young Koreans all in contention for the podium.

Women - love Levito but Japan's going to have some strong women, same with Korea, Petrokina, Pinzarrone, Kimmy Repond, to battle it out.

Men - the Japanese men, Wesley, maybe Ilia - I could see him going if he doesn't finish as high as he is hoping in Montpellier (WS points and all that), Broussard, Kapeikis, the young Korean who was great on the JGP, Levandi!

Lots of really interesting, fabulous skaters even without the Russians. Should be a wonderful competition!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sad for them, but I’m sadder for the innocent Ukrainians being killed by their government.
So am I which doesn't negate that these kids, and they are kids, had nothing to do with their government's actions and they are victims of Putin too. Not the same as a child that is killed, but when we're talking about skaters, it is the same as other skaters with dreams of going to worlds. It's likely their parents have or will lose their jobs as a consequence of the economic sanctions. They are skaters with dreams like all the other skaters and their dreams are gone. Life isn't fair, but I still feel a great deal of empathy for what the skaters are losing through no fault of their own. Feeling empathy for the young Russians doesn't take away empathy for the Ukranians. I couldn't care less if this opens opportunities for skaters from other countries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information