Montpellier 2022

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I'd read China is because the vaccine Sinopharm etc are not accepted in France? Or is it they delayed sending in entries and poof?

D

Deleted member 221

OMG, with no Russia and no China, Knierim and Frazier are poised to..... win. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Could we have an American pairs World Champion for the first time since 1979? Or a Japanese champion for the first-time ever? Any way you slice it, we're going to have a "WTF" podium that would seem surprising even if it were a Grand Prix event.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
OMG, with no Russia and no China, Knierim and Frazier are poised to..... win. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Could we have an American pairs World Champion for the first time since 1979? Or a Japanese champion for the first-time ever? Any way you slice it, we're going to have a "WTF" podium that would seem surprising even if it were a Grand Prix event.
I think everything is going to be a WTF podium. Maybe not dance.

Japanese to win the pairs.

carriecmu0503

I think everything is going to be a WTF podium. Maybe not dance.

Japanese to win the pairs.
Why would you say that about the men's podium? None of the Russian or Chinese men were on the podium at the Olympics. It has been 5+ years since a Russian or Chinese man has been on the World podium. The last I can think of was Jin Bo Yang at the 2017 Worlds, in bronze position. It has been even longer for a Russian man (2011, I think)? All of the 2022 men's Olympic podium will be there, so it will definitely be a totally legit men's event!

skatingguy

decently
Why would you say that about the men's podium? None of the Russian or Chinese men were on the podium at the Olympics. It has been 5+ years since a Russian or Chinese man has been on the World podium. The last I can think of was Jin Bo Yang at the 2017 Worlds, in bronze position. It has been even longer for a Russian man (2011, I think)? All of the 2022 men's Olympic podium will be there, so it will definitely be a totally legit men's event!
Kolyada won a medal in 2018.

carriecmu0503

Kolyada won a medal in 2018.
That does not change the legitimacy of the 2022 event without the Russians and the Chinese for the men. The men from those two countries are not contenders in the men's event this year. We don't know why the Chinese are not here, but they were not banned, so it appears to the that country's own choice.

skatingguy

decently
That does not change the legitimacy of the 2022 event without the Russians and the Chinese for the men. The men from those two countries are not contenders in the men's event this year. We don't know why the Chinese are not here, but they were not banned, so it appears to the that country's own choice.
No, just mentioning that was the last medal by a Russian or Chinese man at the World Championships.

sus2850

Travel question:
What is the name of the train station for Montpellier, please? Is it Montpellier Sud de France or Montpellier Saint-Roch? Thank you!

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
@sus2850 Just checked Google Maps, it looks like Saint-Roch is within the city core but Sud de France is closer to the arena (also Sud de France). It probably depends where you're coming from/going and where you'll be staying in Montpelier, but either can work.

seabm7

I'd read China is because the vaccine Sinopharm etc are not accepted in France? Or is it they delayed sending in entries and poof?

France accepts Chinese vaccines since last month,

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Hendrickx, under the rules of Belgium having dropped the ball and not submitting her name in time, is extremely lucky that she was added late by the ISU. If there indeed was a similar paperwork issue with China as reported elsewhere on the board, then those athletes (seemingly not many of them are available anyways) would have to get the same late acceptance treatment from the ISU as well.

Icedream

Travel question:
What is the name of the train station for Montpellier, please? Is it Montpellier Sud de France or Montpellier Saint-Roch? Thank you!
It does not seem to be direct transportation from Sud de France to the arena, you will have to take a shuttle and 2 trams, whereas it is only 1 tram from Saint-Roch.

sus2850

It is ok. Did not mean it for arena access but general arrival. M de Sud sounds like you need a car to get picked up. Had no luck booking the train anyhow due to stupid payment option by SNCF.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I'm taking the train into St Roch as Sud du France is further away.

Where's everyone staying? I'm at the Best Western Comedie across from the St Roch station.

Haven't booked it yet. SNCF giving me problems as well just like Ticketmaster France did. :lol:

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
If you’re having trouble getting your credit card verified you might need to call your bank. I also had issues trying to book a SNCF ticket recently but in my case I hadn’t listed my cell phone with my bank and the Visa verification wanted to send a text to my landline (or call, but it was late at night). In any case, someone next day from the fraud department was finally able to manually approve the transaction so the purchase went through.

acraven

I've read on a travel forum that none of the Best Westerns overseas are corporate-owned. They're independent hotels just huddled under that marketing umbrella. I've stayed in two, in Zagreb and in Nis (Serbia). They were several levels above my usual lodgings, but business hotels are sometimes a really good deal on weekends. They didn't remind me of US Best Westerns. (I have no idea whether BW frequent-guest points can be used at BWs in Europe. I know Marriott and Hilton Honors points can be used for at least some of those hotels.)

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
There are Best Westerns in France? You've just shattered my world-view.
That was my reaction when I went to go book a hotel. I'm so sorry I ruined it for you. :lol:

I was going to be at the Hotel Royal but it was a bit further from the station. :D

KaoriFan

Hendrickx, under the rules of Belgium having dropped the ball and not submitting her name in time, is extremely lucky that she was added late by the ISU. If there indeed was a similar paperwork issue with China as reported elsewhere on the board, then those athletes (seemingly not many of them are available anyways) would have to get the same late acceptance treatment from the ISU as well.

There's no reason to punish the skater. I'm glad Loena was added later. Good luck to her this month!

I'm doubtful the Chinese situation is the same. The government is very strict about zero covid. The athletes are not allowed competitions unless strictly necessary for Beijing 2022 (as far as I know). China does not have the same approach to Covid as other countries. They do not think the western vaccines are safe, and they also do not think it's a good idea to catch covid either. There's some noise in western media in recent days that China may reassess their covid policy, but I'm very doubtful about this and suspect it's just lip service to business people who want to open up China's economy again.

kalamalka

I've read on a travel forum that none of the Best Westerns overseas are corporate-owned. They're independent hotels just huddled under that marketing umbrella. I've stayed in two, in Zagreb and in Nis (Serbia). They were several levels above my usual lodgings, but business hotels are sometimes a really good deal on weekends. They didn't remind me of US Best Westerns. (I have no idea whether BW frequent-guest points can be used at BWs in Europe. I know Marriott and Hilton Honors points can be used for at least some of those hotels.)
I've stayed at a BW in Madrid on points (and a Radisson in Riga ). Neither would have been mistaken for a NA chain hotel.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I stayed at a lovely Best Western in Paris when I got stranded there after having my passport stolen. Note: being stranded in Paris was actually pretty awesome, save for the bureaucratic nightmare.
We also were stranded in Paris during the Icelandic volcano that shut airspace down and ended up at a Best Western. The hotel we were originally in had no space so we took our luggage and went to a main metro hub (Opera) and the BW was the first to have an available room. Definitely not like US BW. It was a great time to be stranded as everyone that could leave by train left, no one new could fly in, so there were minimal crowds. Of course we had the worry of no idea when we would get home, might lose our jobs if stuck for weeks and we did not have trip insurance. That was my last trip without insurance.

mattiecat13

I'm taking the train into St Roch as Sud du France is further away.

Where's everyone staying? I'm at the Best Western Comedie across from the St Roch station.

Haven't booked it yet. SNCF giving me problems as well just like Ticketmaster France did. :lol:
We are taking the TGV from Paris to St. Roch station on Tuesday and are also staying at the Best Western Comedie.

clairecloutier

Japan Airlines and ANA have canceled all flights to Europe due to war risks:

Hopefully this is lifted before Worlds and won't negatively affect Japanese skaters' participation. :(

muffinplus

Yeah BW in Europe are not really like the US at all.. BW have different brands, the only ones I MAY even consider staying at in the US are the Premier Collection, but even then not sure I would

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
Japan Airlines and ANA have canceled all flights to Europe due to war risks:

Hopefully this is lifted before Worlds and won't negatively affect Japanese skaters' participation. :(
There are other ways of flying to Europe from Japan and other airlines. Most probably the Japanese skaters will go via the Gulf states.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information