Dancing With the Stars - Season 30

mackiecat

JoJo had dance training until she was 10 years old. The girls on Dance Zmons had little to no training, they were filming most of the time and doing fake competitions. By the time she was 13, she had changed to singing. That is it, that’s her dance trsinging and she was a hip-hop and jazz dancer at that. Many other contestants had dance training as children. Lots as teens and many in early adulthood. But bsllroom is very different from jazz. A highly trained ballet dancer can normally transition into ballroom Very well Many of the pros at Dance with me America were ballet dancers to start with.

Lilia A

I guess the difference is in how people view Jojo's training vs other contestant's training. Jojo was a competition dancer in a reality show that featured dance competitions. Those of us who watched DM know Jojo's skill and limitations as a competition dancer back in the day. For anyone who never watched the show, she wasn't exactly known for her technique. Great performer, great spinner if we're counting the number of turns only, not the best at staying on the music. Honestly, I used to love her on the show because I loved that she was the first one to ever stand up to Abby (but I couldn't stand her mother).
Now, if they decided to cast the stronger technicians from DM like Brady or Elliana that'd be a totally different story (especially Brady, he's already performing with professionals in NYC and should be joining a training company soon).

Susan1

You're really stretching to try to make your point, aren't you? Dancing in one show doesn't make someone a professional dancer, especially as she was primarily acting in the show, not dancing. No, that wouldn't disqualify her. But someone like JoJo who became famous as a dancer on a reality show and who dances in every concert that she performs, yes, that should disqualify her.
Yeah. How many other contestants have this in their profile? Wiki - "Joelle Joanie "JoJo" Siwa (born May 19, 2003) is an American dancer, singer, and YouTube personality." Jennifer Grey danced her way through Dirty Dancing. Dancer is not in her profile. But she won Dancing with the Stars. I was rooting for her.

screech

I couldn't watch the entire Cody & Sheryl freestyle. There's good camp and there's bad camp. This was just bad.
Same here. And when he basically fell down the pole at the beginning?

For those saying the premise was always non-trained dancers paired with pros.... you don't have to look any further than season 2 to get to the trained dancers - Stacy Kiebler was on that season, and Mario Lopez in season 3.

Ideally it would be non-dancers, however that's never been the case. I do like to root for a talented underdog (like James Hinchcliffe) but when someone like Meryl comes on and completely wows though having a dance background (even if she's never ballroom danced on floor, she had more of a basic understanding of the ballroom styles than a non-dancer), I'm okay with that too.

screech

Meryl and Charlie did supplement their training with ballroom though.
Oh without a doubt. They even worked with Derek Hough in the lead up to the Games - he helped choreograph their My Fair Lady SD.
But what I meant was that even if they didn't supplement with ballroom, they'd have an above average understanding of the different styles and what's expected for each style, even if the movements don't directly translate to the ice.

pixie cut

It would be like a Christmas Miracle! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: . Although I'm not holding my breath it will happen, but at least there is hope. :p

If either Nathan Chen or Vincent Zhou win gold in Beijing, I'd be shocked if they're not invited to season 31 of Dancing with the Stars. Beyond the gold medalists, I don't know what other skaters would be asked. As for other athletes, it's entirely possible we'll see American gold medalists, especially if they have a good personality. Heck Chloe Kim did the Masked Singer a couple of years after the last Olympics.

annie720

My biggest problem with Tyra was not with Tyra herself since I haven't watched since the switch happened, but with the way Tom B was ousted. He was the heart and soul of the show for me, and I have no interest in it now. But if they do replace Tyra, I'm sure it will make many happy.

pixie cut

My biggest problem with Tyra was not with Tyra herself since I haven't watched since the switch happened, but with the way Tom B was ousted. He was the heart and soul of the show for me, and I have no interest in it now. But if they do replace Tyra, I'm sure it will make many happy.
Tom Bergeron's ouster enraged many longtime fans of the show. That became worse for those of us who continued to watch. Tyra Banks is awful. The complaints have all been written, so I won't repeat them. Tom gave the show warmth, heart and humor. Tyra has given the show Tyra. She thinks she's the most important person there. I do my best to ignore her. What disturbed me even more is that they got rid of Tom but kept Carrie Ann. This show doesn't just need a new host. It needs a new executive producer.

Jubak

He had a truly horrible time with *********. From his wikipedia:

He died on July 5, 2020 after spending 95 days in the hospital.
I actually knew Nick Cordero from the office that I worked at. He was walking on air when Amanda had the baby. He was an incredibly sweet, nice man and I was just so gutted when he got Covid so badly & early in the treatment game. When he started throwing blood clots, I knew that was it for him (I work in the medical field). I truly feel for Amanda - she seems like a lovely woman. I didn't think she would win DWTS because I thought it would go to JoJo (I was wrong) I only wish the best for her in the future.

vgerdes

Tom Bergeron's ouster enraged many longtime fans of the show. That became worse for those of us who continued to watch. Tyra Banks is awful. The complaints have all been written, so I won't repeat them. Tom gave the show warmth, heart and humor. Tyra has given the show Tyra. She thinks she's the most important person there. I do my best to ignore her. What disturbed me even more is that they got rid of Tom but kept Carrie Ann. This show doesn't just need a new host. It needs a new executive producer.
Yes. This exactly. I hated the way they ousted Tom, but I probably would have kept watching if Tyra wasn't so obnoxious. I think back when she first started America's Next Top Model, her ego wasn't quite so out of control. But she's gotten progressively worse. I can't stand her anymore.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Yes. This exactly. I hated the way they ousted Tom, but I probably would have kept watching if Tyra wasn't so obnoxious. I think back when she first started America's Next Top Model, her ego wasn't quite so out of control. But she's gotten progressively worse. I can't stand her anymore.
She needs to look in a mirror before she comes out to the stage in those hideous gowns (that are meant to hide her weight gain but don't) & her messy hairdos. AFAIC she has nothing to be egotistic about. What rubs me the wrong way the most is the "posh" accent she puts on.

screech

She needs to look in a mirror before she comes out to the stage in those hideous gowns (that are meant to hide her weight gain but don't) & her messy hairdos. AFAIC she has nothing to be egotistic about. What rubs me the wrong way the most is the "posh" accent she puts on.
It's when she tries to be 'DRAMATIC!' that does it for me.

Some interesting speculation...
According to The Sun ABC has plans to meet with Dancing with the Stars executives to “map out 2022.” A source close to the show told the outlet they’re looking to sign “at least one major star” to host the show next season.
They also claim senior executives within the BBC Studios in Los Angeles are looking for “at least one or ideally two major household names that fascinate fans.” Per the source, Dancing with the Stars executives are “think[ing] big” and in search of “an Oscar, Emmy or Grammy-winning star who will make headlines on and off-screen.”

If they went the 'headline making' Oscar winner route, Jamie Foxx would be a good choice, though he's got Beat Shazaam (he also has a Grammy). Whoopi Goldberg would be entertaining because you know she wouldn't take anyone's BS. It would be entertaining to see Sam Rockwell or Christopher Walken if only due to their dancing skills (though Chris' speech patterns would get annoying. And neither is 'headline making' enough).

For Emmy winners who make headlines, my first thought is Billy Porter. Though Wayne Brady (5 Emmys, and a Grammy nom) would also be entertaining. Or ZENDAYA!

pixie cut

It's when she tries to be 'DRAMATIC!' that does it for me.

Some interesting speculation...

If they went the 'headline making' Oscar winner route, Jamie Foxx would be a good choice, though he's got Beat Shazaam (he also has a Grammy). Whoopi Goldberg would be entertaining because you know she wouldn't take anyone's BS. It would be entertaining to see Sam Rockwell or Christopher Walken if only due to their dancing skills (though Chris' speech patterns would get annoying. And neither is 'headline making' enough).

For Emmy winners who make headlines, my first thought is Billy Porter. Though Wayne Brady (5 Emmys, and a Grammy nom) would also be entertaining. Or ZENDAYA!
Zendaya would be the likely candidate as she competed on the show, but it's unlikely she has time to commit to a 10 to 11-week gig. She's doing movies and has a series on HBO.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
If Cedrick The Entertainer wasn't doing a weekly sitcom I'd choose him. @screech, I like your choices except Billy Porter.

screech

If Cedrick The Entertainer wasn't doing a weekly sitcom I'd choose him. @screech, I like your choices except Billy Porter.
I don't particularly like Billy Porter, so I'd prefer not him either. Though of the ones I listed, he's the one I could see actually agreeing to do it. As much as she annoys me, I could also see someone like Kristin Chenoweth doing it. Though I feel she'd make it into the Kristin show.

I would almost suggest someone from SNL, but they're pretty firm in staying with NBC for things.

Jennifer Garner just popped into my head. She had a hit ABC show (Alias), for which she was nominated for multiple Emmys. She loves dance (she regularly posts dance videos on her instagram), AND though she seems incredibly wholesome, she regularly makes headlines.

vgerdes

Jennifer Garner just popped into my head. She had a hit ABC show (Alias), for which she was nominated for multiple Emmys. She loves dance (she regularly posts dance videos on her instagram), AND though she seems incredibly wholesome, she regularly makes headlines.
Her headline-making status is largely because she has chosen to date her past male co-stars multiple times (hey, no judgment here, she has had a lot of very attractive co-stars), and even married a couple of them. She was also targeted by a stalker. But beyond that, she has tended to shy away from the celebrity life in recent years (probably because of the aforementioned stalker), though I could see her agreeing to be a contestant if she had a new movie or series to promote, and/or her kids wanted her to do it.

Last edited:

BaileyCatts

Have y'all seen this? This is what Olivia and Val's freestyle dance would have been if they had made the Finals. Which they should have done! :mitchell: There's a little bit more to it as its like a little mini dance video, but you can see what their freestyle dance would have been.

screech

DWTS connection to the horrors going on Ukraine - Maks has been in Kyiv for the last 6ish months filming the Ukrainian version of World of Dance where he's a judge. He's been posting a lot of updates on Instagram as he's stuck - he's been in a bomb shelter, was even arrested (though no details) and is now trying to get to the border.

Val commented:
“My parents fled this country for this exact reason. Not because it wasn’t good to them, but because their kids would see war eventually. It’s a cruel irony that 28 years later my brother is in a bomb shelter in Kiev. If they hadn’t left I would be on the front lines defending my home right now.”

Sylvia

TBD
DWTS connection to the horrors going on Ukraine - Maks has been in Kyiv for the last 6ish months filming the Ukrainian version of World of Dance where he's a judge. He's been posting a lot of updates on Instagram
One of Maksim Chmerkovskiy's Instagram stories today said he's on a train headed (hopefully) to Warsaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information